Pickups for Aaron Marshall / Intervals -type on basswood 7?

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Been super into Aaron Marshall's instrumental Intervals stuff lately (especially since seeing them live!); I've got an LTD M-207 that I just don't use anymore, but I still dearly love, and it hit me it would perfect to do Intervals-type fusion on. Right now, it's got BKP Painkillers, which I ALSO really love, but they're just too hot for that kind of thing (at least, for me, in this guitar).

It's already wired up with a 3-way and push-pull pots for coil-splitting, so I just need the right pickups. I did some research, and found that Suhr *used* to make a 7-string version of the SSH+ that Aaron is ising, but they seem to be hard to find. On other forums, I've seen the BKP Nailbombs suggested, but I'm also on a budget, so if there's another brand/model I can get to cheaper, I'd be happy to go that way.

Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
While I don’t have a seven string version, I have a basswood body Suhr with An SSH+ bridge pup and I can tell you that while it’s not a bad sounding pickup, it has a really in your face midrange honk under high gain that I’m not particularly digging. It’s not great for tight palm mutes unless u run a boost too. I’m gonna be changing it for something else in the future.

If you want something in a similar vein that’s aggressive but a little less middy, try a BKP rebel yell.

MerlinTKD

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! You're not the first I've seen say that about the SSH+, and since I can't seem to find a 7 string version it's moot anyway. The Rebel Yell is a good suggestion, I'll see what I can find used in those.

I'm kind of hoping I might find something that runs $100 or less used, that also doesn't suck - a tall order, I know! :lol:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Check out the Dimarzio Ionizers too. They're super articulate and aren't as hot as most other 7 string pickups. I'm not sure about the bridge, but I really like the neck wired in parallel as well. I imagine the split "2 and 4" positions would sound good in your case.

I've had the Rebel Yell before and can back that one as well :yesway:

MerlinTKD

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd had forgotten all about the Ionizers! That's a great idea, thanks! I wish I could afford another set of BKP's, but a used Dimarzio set may be perfect!

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
I’m 90% sure Aaron uses an SSH+ in his Suhrs. Or one of their sets anyway. I love his tone but definitely agree with @FitRocker33 that the mid honkyness was really off putting when I’ve had em. I’ve tried quite a few Suhr pickups now and have only ever been into the Thornbuckers. And yeah, good luck finding anything available for 7’s haha

I’d recommend looking at the less hot Tom Anderson sets if you can find em for a 7. The Ionizers could be good too—had a buddy with one in the bridge spot of his 8 string and loved it. Still needs a boost though for anything really saturated but that’s kind of the nature of having a pickup that can do more than that. The dudes playing this genre seem to always have a few gain stages going at any given time to get the output there

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
The Mid bump on the SSH+ and Aldrich pickups m ay seem weird when you play alone, but it's the reason why those pickups cut so well through the mix in a band situation... great lead pickups.
But yes the low end is not "djenty-kids-tight" ;)

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
If you like BKP I'd suggest the BK Blackhawks, I loved them for brighter instrumental progressive stuff. They've got a nice crunch, but not too heavy and harsh.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you messed with pickup height yet?

MerlinTKD

Contributor
Reaction score
If you like BKP I'd suggest the BK Blackhawks, I loved them for brighter instrumental progressive stuff. They've got a nice crunch, but not too heavy and harsh.

Blackhawks would definitely be a winner, if I had the cash for them :lol: Sadly, my budget won't allow any BKP's in the near future :(

Have you messed with pickup height yet?

I have not! Didn't occur to me, honestly. I recall when I had them installed they were super sensitive to height; I actually have them a little lower than 'normal' because they're so hot. I might mess with that. Thanks!

After tweaking some tones with BiasAmp2, I've found some things that work; not the Intervals tone at all, but quite useable. It'll do for now, while the hunt continues! ;)