Pickups for an Ibanez Prestige RG 2027 XVV

• Thread starter Dangerman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerman

Reaction score
I just saw that Eric is selling Blaze pickups as well as Blaze Customs :eek: Those are hard to get by over here.
But what exactly is the difference between a Blaze (bridge) and a Blaze Custom, and wich would I want to go for?

Argh, and one more question, do I need an F-spaced bridge-pickup, whatever that is?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerman

Reaction score
Ok, I finally ordered a Blaze Bridge. I was a bit torn between the Blaze Bridge and the BC but eventually settled for the BB.
Shipping will take a week at least. I will keep you updated as soon as the pickups are installed.

One short question out of curiosity: is there a big difference between the BB and BC sound-and/or outputwise?

Thanks a lot for all the help!

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Dangerman said:
Ok, I finally ordered a Blaze Bridge. I was a bit torn between the Blaze Bridge and the BC but eventually settled for the BB.
Shipping will take a week at least. I will keep you updated as soon as the pickups are installed.

One short question out of curiosity: is there a big difference between the BB and BC sound-and/or outputwise?

Thanks a lot for all the help!
Answer - No. There is a difference, but I wouldn't call it big. The BC sounds just a TAD louder than the BB, but not in a way that will overdrive your amp more, or make your cleans distort. It just has more of a midrange push, but otherwise compares about equally with the BB.

It also is more vocal (kinda like an "aww" sound) in the mids compared to the BB, but not in a dramatic way. Subtle. Both have a real smooth, compressed sound, although not overly so, good treble, and tight, deep bass. Very modern sounding.

BTW, I have used both the BC and the BB in a RG2027 extensively. ;) I'm going to try the D-Sonic 7 next.

Dangerman

Reaction score
I'm going to try the D-Sonic 7 next.

Never heard about that one! Some info anywhere?
I just haven't been that much of a pickup whore yet :rolleyes: I see it's time to change that immediately, at least a little bit :flame:

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
2027? Bridge pickup would have to be a Blaze Custom. I've tried an Evo7 that was too lifeless, and ToneZone7 that was too muddy and made me hate the guitar and finally a blaze custom that just sounds terrific!

I rweckon it's a Blaze Custom or a JB7

neck wise I don't know, but loads of people lean towards a Jazz7 or an AN7

*basically as the 2027 i have is currently sans neck pickup

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Dangerman said:
Never heard about that one! Some info anywhere?
I just haven't been that much of a pickup whore yet :rolleyes: I see it's time to change that immediately, at least a little bit :flame:
Do a search on here. Eric (ericsguitars.com) is selling them (he's the Dimarzio hook-up!) There is also an X2N-7 coming out.

As 7DT says, the BC sounds awesome in the 2027. One of the best pickups I've ever heard. (I actually just a tad prefer the BC to the regular Blaze Bridge (BB) for distortion, but I just slightly prefer the BB for cleans. Leads about equal.)

Dangerman

Reaction score
Thank you, I did a search here and: yes, I think the D-Sonic is definitely an option:yesway:

I actually just a tad prefer the BC to the regular Blaze Bridge (BB) for distortion

Maybe I would want to swap the BB for the BC then? It hasn't been shipped yet. Distortion is cleary more important to me than cleans (I guess the AN will help deliver pretty decent cleans anyway).
The higher output of the Balze Custom is also something that appeals to me a bit more. And I guess it would sound fatter, no?
The only downside would be I'd have to wait until April for the BC to be shipped.

Oh my, you made me consider that stuff once again TDW :scratch: (which is not a bad thing maybe)
I guess I owe you a barrel of good German beer for your advice, right? :cool:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
meh i would have gone for the blaze custom... the blaze bridge has some ok qualities, but if i want to scoop the mids i'll do it at the amp, not at the pickup.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Dangerman said:
Thank you, I did a search here and: yes, I think the D-Sonic is definitely an option:yesway:

Maybe I would want to swap the BB for the BC then? It hasn't been shipped yet. Distortion is cleary more important to me than cleans (I guess the AN will help deliver pretty decent cleans anyway).
The higher output of the Balze Custom is also something that appeals to me a bit more. And I guess it would sound fatter, no?
The only downside would be I'd have to wait until April for the BC to be shipped.

Oh my, you made me consider that stuff once again TDW :scratch: (which is not a bad thing maybe)
I guess I owe you a barrel of good German beer for your advice, right? :cool:
Mmm... German beer! I'm German, too. ;)

I dunno, the BB has really great sound for distortion. Yeah, the BC is maybe a tad fatter - more like, it has more of a vocal sound to the mids, rather than being "fatter" per se. The BB is a bit more clear, though. Think Meshuggah. I actually like the BB a bit more for 'MY" sound on distortion, over the BC, even though the BC sounds a tiny bit better, I think. That might not make much sense, but it does to me, lol. Really, though, the difference in tone and output between the two pickups is nothing dramatic. They actually sound alot alike.

Dangerman

Reaction score
Mmm... German beer! I'm German, too.

Grüß Gott then ;) and Prost :cheers:
Where exactly are you from? Do you live in the states or do you study there or something?

I dunno, the BB has really great sound for distortion. Yeah, the BC is maybe a tad fatter - more like, it has more of a vocal sound to the mids, rather than being "fatter" per se. The BB is a bit more clear, though. Think Meshuggah. I actually like the BB a bit more for 'MY" sound on distortion, over the BC, even though the BC sounds a tiny bit better, I think. That might not make much sense, but it does to me, lol.

I think I know what you mean. It makes me lean towards the BC even just a little bit more. I guess I may like that vocal sound to the mids and while I like Meshuggah a lot I favor something slightly more, what is the right word, organic?! Maybe the BC is a bit more towards Petrucci and Co. then the BB?

I will probably try to change my order and go for the Blaze Custom first thing tomorrow. I might even get it faster than the BB and I think it will suit me better.
There is just one thing that concerns me about the BC, does the push in midrange make the low end of the 2027 muddy? Mark that this is my first sevenstring and the only sevenstring-pickups I can compare to are those stocks, and they are very muddy to me.
So, I'm not very petty in picking the right PU, I just need a better sound and I guess I will get that either way :woohoo:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Dangerman said:
Grüß Gott then ;) and Prost :cheers:
Where exactly are you from? Do you live in the states or do you study there or something?
Oh, I'm American. I'm 3rd generation from German immigrants on both sides. Ironically enough, both of my great grandparents' families came from old Prussia. (The other side of my family(s), again on both sides, came from around Dublin, Ireland). So, bitte, and God's greeting back at ya! :wavey:

Dangerman said:
There is just one thing that concerns me about the BC, does the push in midrange make the low end of the 2027 muddy? Mark that this is my first sevenstring and the only sevenstring-pickups I can compare to are those stocks, and they are very muddy to me.
So, I'm not very petty in picking the right PU, I just need a better sound and I guess I will get that either way :woohoo:
Just the opposite, bro. The BC is one of the TIGHTEST pickups around, especially in the bass. No feedback, awesome bass, very compressed and controllable, sweet pinch harmonics. It sounds very, very balanced, with a throaty kind of growl.

Dangerman

Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Oh, I'm American. I'm 3rd generation from German immigrants on both sides. Ironically enough, both of my great grandparents' families came from old Prussia. (The other side of my family(s), again on both sides, came from around Dublin, Ireland). So, bitte, and God's greeting back at ya! :wavey:

Ah, cool. So you're probably the German-Irish Consigliere of some Italo-American mafia family, right? Just like Tom Hagen from "The Godfather" :bath:

Just the opposite, bro. The BC is one of the TIGHTEST pickups around, especially in the bass. No feedback, awesome bass, very compressed and controllable, sweet pinch harmonics. It sounds very, very balanced, with a throaty kind of growl.

That is absolutely the best and most exact description of what I'm looking for sound-wise. That finally nails it! :banana:
Once again, thanks dude!! :bowdown:

Dangerman

Reaction score
7 Dying Trees said:
If you can change it then get a Blaze Custom. i am really happy withem in both basswood AND in my 2027 :)

In the 2027 it is excellent, and am someone who likes his distorted guitars :p

Yeah, I canceled my order today :metal: Even if the difference between the BB and BC may not be very significant, I think the swap will be worth it. Now I'm looking for somewhere to get the BC as fast as possible. You can get it for moderate prices over here, but unfortunately it's not available anywhere. I'll probably have to wait for the Blaze Custom until April :squint: Does someone have a good idea where to get it in Europe?

I think I will ask Eric how much it costs and how long it takes to ship to Europe.

Dangerman

Reaction score
Ok there, I finally bought the BB from Eric and I eventually replaced the stock pickups.

First of all I want to say what a great guy Eric is. His responses were super-fast and very friendly and the pickup arrived here in no time!
So, I definitely want to recommend him. :yesway:

The BB and the AN are just awesome pickups in my 2027 and their sound is all I could ever have dreamed of, really perfect for my needs.

Once again thanks for all the advice, especially thanks to The Dark Wolf!! :wavey:
Now my sevenstring is so much more fun to play at last :shred: :woohoo:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, feel the love! :D

My pleasure to be of service, sir. I just hope you continue to enjoy your terrific guitar.

I aims ta please. ;)

')