Pickups for Gibson Flying V

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the stock pickups in my Gibson flying v. It's very dark mahogany with nitro white finish, ebony fretboard. It's a very dark and deep sounding guitar. It stays in d standard and drop C with ernie ball beefy slinky's. It is the most resonant guitar I've ever played.

I play alittle bit of everything. I can get a good tone out of the stock pickups but they just seem to be lacking overall. The neck pickup is way too clean compared to the bridge. I would like the bridge and neck to be even but not too hot overall. I've considered barenuckle and gibson burst bucker's. Are there any pickups in particular that go good with gibson flying v's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
Prolly has a 490/500T combo? I rather like the 500T for some low tuning. Not the best, but it has its uses.

My old standby, Dimarzio Norton. I've yet to try it in mahogany though, but I bet it would sound awesome. Plus, you can use the same pickup for both neck (which is very popular) and bridge.

This is just the regular old Norton, not the 'Air' version.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd leave the stock pickups. They do downtuning just fine. Just ask Amon Amarth :yesway:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

Not only is that a downgrade, but putting that on a Gibson Flying V is adding insult to injury. :lol:

All other active EMGs would be better options. Hell, leaving the stocks are a better option. But for EMG versatility's sake, any of the X series or the Het-set would be best.

I also second D-Activators. D-Activator Xs aren't too shabby either.

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
I have a BKP painkiller in my Flying v. After 4 different pickups, i've settled on this one. It kinda makes the guitar complete. I have it in STD tuning right now. But i had it tuned to C#/drop B back then i chose the pickup.

Pubs i've tried in it:
Gibson super ceramic
Bkp Ceramic Warpig P-90
Bkp Ceramic Warpig
Bkp Painkiller(!)

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I'm voting for a Bareknuckle Painkiller in the bridge. Not really sure about the neck. But the Painkiller even made my Swamp Ash RG sound punchy. I can only imagine the effect on an all-mahogany V.

And in the EMG range, I'd vote for the 81/85 combo REVERSED (so that the 85 is in the bridge and the 81 is in the neck. So much better!)

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
EMG HZ. They'll do enverything, although they don't excell at a particular field.
Translation: they do everything poorly

With regards to the OP, Gibson Sticky Fingers in both neck and bridge could work for you, I have one in my mahogany RG and it's pretty slick. Lace pickups could also be for you, either Red Duallys, Drop n' Gains, Hemis, or the Matt Pike Heshers.

(I admit to throwing the Heshers in there because I want some reviews on the things.)

xxvicarious

Reaction score
EMG HZ. They'll do enverything, although they don't excell at a particular field.

HAHAHAHAHA.....

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. :nuts:

Ahhhhhh. I've seen it all. :lol:

Some Bareknuckles, EMG HetSet's, or leave the stock ones in.
I'd love to hear some Lungren M6's in a mahogany body, too. :shred:

xxvicarious

Reaction score
I'm voting for a Bareknuckle Painkiller in the bridge. Not really sure about the neck. But the Painkiller even made my Swamp Ash RG sound punchy. I can only imagine the effect on an all-mahogany V.

And in the EMG range, I'd vote for the 81/85 combo REVERSED (so that the 85 is in the bridge and the 81 is in the neck. So much better!)

I have a buddy with a Gibson SG Standard, did the reversed EMG thing,
85 in the bridge, 81 in the neck....
and playing through a Peavey 6505+, that thing sounds ridiculously cool!!!
:bowdown:

Latest posts

')