Pickups for stoner rock, sludge?

• Thread starter innovine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

innovine

Reaction score
I would lik eto replace the stock pickups in my schecter omen-7 basswood guitar, but need a few suggestions. I like stoner stuff, especially the more upbeat like kyuss, the sword, even pelican. Not really the electric wizard doom style, although something that can handle that too would be a plus.
Any real obvious choice I should look at? And if not, I'd appreciate some suggestions on the kinds of magnets I should aim at, etc. Do I want sometking with a lot of mids? I'm unsure if mud is good or bad :/ playing into a pod hd500 and a dt25 amp (often using the marshall models)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
The Omen-7 comes with the soapbar-style pickups, right? Take a look at the new Duncan 7-string pickups in soapbar housings. I replaced a pair of EMGs with the Pegasus/Sentient combo, which would be a pretty bitchin' set for stoner/doom/sludge, I think.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
As far as magnets go, I' stick to something with alnico. Ceramic may be a bit too trebly for stoner metal, ESPECIALLY in basswood. A Dimarzio PAF7 (Although I think that one does have ceramics), Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, or any sort of "PAF" or "Hot PAF" style pickup will point you in the right direction.

In stoner metal, it's kinda of negotiable whether mud is good or bad :lol: But, you'd probably want a pickup where you can dial the mud OUT if you want to. So not too much low range, but enough to get muddy if it has to.

celticelk

Reaction score
As far as magnets go, I' stick to something with alnico. Ceramic may be a bit too trebly for stoner metal, ESPECIALLY in basswood. A Dimarzio PAF7 (Although I think that one does have ceramics), Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, or any sort of "PAF" or "Hot PAF" style pickup will point you in the right direction.

In stoner metal, it's kinda of negotiable whether mud is good or bad :lol: But, you'd probably want a pickup where you can dial the mud OUT if you want to. So not too much low range, but enough to get muddy if it has to.

All of the DiMarzio 7s are ceramic. I'm not sure about the Duncans, though I'm pretty sure that the Sentient and Pegasus, at least, are alnico.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
matt pike from sleep has signature lace pickups called the dirty heshers that sound pretty cool

innovine

Reaction score
Ok, I'll try a paf7, but what should I compliment it with, and what positions should they have? What about a crunch lab in the bridge?

wakjob

Reaction score
I'll throw my hat in the ring... Duncan Invader.

Don't know if the seven string version is like the six, but if it is, stoner rock mania.

Colossal Incantation

Reaction score
Hi! If you have gobs of gain in your rig, then a pair of 7 string 59s would be great. If you need the pickups to help push things along, then a pair of Invaders are the right choice.

innovine

Reaction score
Ok, that's paf 7 in the mail to me. Thanks for the suggestions

innovine

Reaction score
Paf 7 is now in the bridge. Quite bright, no mud, only a little quieter than the stock pickup. Still dialing in a good tone but it's already an improvement on the stock pickup. Thanks for the tips.

NTXCajun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would lik eto replace the stock pickups in my schecter omen-7 basswood guitar, but need a few suggestions. I like stoner stuff, especially the more upbeat like kyuss, the sword, even pelican. Not really the electric wizard doom style, although something that can handle that too would be a plus.
Any real obvious choice I should look at? And if not, I'd appreciate some suggestions on the kinds of magnets I should aim at, etc. Do I want sometking with a lot of mids? I'm unsure if mud is good or bad :/ playing into a pod hd500 and a dt25 amp (often using the marshall models)

I know this is late but, just read.. Being born & raised in Louisiana, I've been playing pretty much Doom / Stoner metal for as long as I can remember & went through pedals, pickups, guitars, etc... What I've found, it's finding the right combination of amp & guitar... I use a Gibson Les Paul & Mesa Rectifier (7 strings are the antithesis of sludge metal)... But, have a big muff pi that gives me the little fuzz that the American amps that use bigger power tubes (i.e., mine has 6L6s), don't have... You can go to an amp with EL34s that's high gain & get some good mid driven fuzzy distortion but, won't have the low end like what 6L6s give... In other words, if you've got a guitar that's worth it's salt, The pickups should be ok... You won't want a hot pickup playing doom/stoner/sludge... I put a SD Omega bridge in my Les Paul, played it 1 hour, took it out; wired the pigtail to a SD Invader, played it an hour & pulled it out...Put the 490T back in & an happy as a lark (although, I'm one who does like to try things so, a lace or bare knuckles pickups try isn't out of the question)... Just my experience with this genre, is the amp has the most influence over the tone & distortion... Hence, the label "Rigs Of Doom"... Lol...

')