Pics/Links, Multilaminate 7 Ibby body spalt/etc...

• Thread starter TonyFlyingSquirrel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
There was a hi-res photo floating around a while back, & I can't seem to find the thread.

Looking for these photos, the body had what looked like black limba or spalted maple sides, with a 5 piece center section, 7 string rear rout body, ala Jem.

Any help, folk'z?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
This one?

spalteduveight.jpg

spalteduvseven.jpg

spalteduvsix.jpg

spalteduvfive.jpg

spalteduvfour.jpg

spalteduvthree.jpg

spalteduvtwo.jpg

SpaltedUVOne.jpg

UV2.jpg

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Great bodies, but I know people, who looking at them will say - FURNITURE.
But I love this and any kind of exotic woods.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you like!, Here is the uncompleted neck so far. Just waiting on frets, scalloped 21-24 frets, and clearcoat on headstock.

uvcustomneck.jpg

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
My pleasure Tony, glad you approve.

The body was a joint Patrick Sims/Chris Woods project with Chris doing the routing and Patrick doing all finish work. The neck is all Chris with Patrick applying logo and finish.

Photos during construction and a CNC video are below - kinda neato to watch in progress:

Exotic Wood Guitar Body10 construction

Should be a beast when its complete. Wiring will be 3 way selector with push/push volume and tone allowing me to tap either pickup when they are both on in the middle 3 way position. I really wanted a UV that allowed me to have the bridge and neck tapped on at the same time for that scooped fluid solo tone.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a breakdown on what it is made of:

The body is multi-laminate and is 11 pieces across and 3 pieces deep. It has a bookmatched black line 5A Flame Spalted Maple top. Center accent is Flame Maple, Black Walnut with Wenge stripes and a center core of Curly Bubinga. Top set is laminated to a Brazilian Cherry accent stripe (for creative carving effects on the forearm area, trem cavity, etc) and African Mahogany on the back for weight reduction.

Here is an easier to see cross section - Needless to say, there was a shitload of glueing involved:

SCSbodyblankthree.jpg

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
My pleasure Tony, glad you approve.

The body was a joint Patrick Sims/Chris Woods project with Chris doing the routing and Patrick doing all finish work. The neck is all Chris with Patrick applying logo and finish.

Photos during construction and a CNC video are below - kinda neato to watch in progress:

Exotic Wood Guitar Body10 construction

Should be a beast when its complete. Wiring will be 3 way selector with push/push volume and tone allowing me to tap either pickup when they are both on in the middle 3 way position. I really wanted a UV that allowed me to have the bridge and neck tapped on at the same time for that scooped fluid solo tone.

Thanks for sharing that.
Now the important question, how much did that museum piece cost?

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
The body was about 680 finished If I remember correctly - this whole thing started about a year ago so Im a little hazy.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Dear god that's a beautiful piece of wood....

')