Pics of my rig (Mesa, D-Sonic 7, etc)

• Thread starter zimbloth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I figured what the hell, people do this kind of thing here, I've never shared my setup, so here it is. It will never be as goofy and awesome as Regor's setup, but I can't complain :) And yeah, I know the mismatched color pickups look kind of odd, trying to sell the neck PAF7 so I can get a black one :yesway:

PS: Btw, I'm amazed at how awesome the noise gate on the G-Major is, it eliminated all the hum from the Triaxis. Even with blasting deafening heavy distortion stuff, and my volume knob on max, you can't even tell the damn amp is on. FINALLY! Boss NS-2 gets all the feedback, G Major all the hum... dead quiet... zero tone loss... FINALLY! My rig was so noisy before, unbearable (I see why James was on the verge of selling his). :) :)

7-21-06a.jpg

7-21-06c.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Abu-Abu

Reaction score
I'm loving it.

What do you think of the D-Sonic? I was reading about those earlier and they sounds pretty awesome I see you have the solid bar towards the bridge, I like the way they have it so you can put it in either way, and get different sounds, although I'd probably not even notice the difference, heh.

I want that Jackson btw.

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
Guitar! said:
I'm loving it.

What do you think of the D-Sonic? I was reading about those earlier and they sounds pretty awesome I see you have the solid bar towards the bridge, I like the way they have it so you can put it in either way, and get different sounds, although I'd probably not even notice the difference, heh.

I want that Jackson btw.
+1

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's interesting that on the new EBMM JP models, the D-Sonic (i keep wanting to call it by its old name, the Drop Sonic) bar polepiece is toward the neck on the 6-string models, and toward the bridge on the 7-strings. Apparently JP preferred them that way.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
wow, sweet... simple but effective and that K7 looks soooo sweet, thats it i'll have to before the end of the summer :lol: the COW looks awesome too, is it the same scale length as the K7? it looks slightly shorter...

quite envyous of your rig dude :D

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Too bad they wouldn't make you a D-Sonic 7 in gray. :)

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
jaredowty said:
I wanna have sex with your rig....and it's good you finally got the noise out of there, too.

ah then you'll be needing one of those penis > 3/4 jack adaptors :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
-Both the Jackson and the Ibanez have 25.5 scales with 24 frets.

-The D Sonic is absolutely amazing. It has the heaviest tone I've ever gotten from a DiMarzio. The PAF7 is close believe it or not. At first I wasn't loving it because the low end sounded kinda muddy, but then I switched to lighter strings and it was 1000000x betterr. Now it's perfect. For whatever reason, it didn't like the .060 D'Addario. Could just be the brand not the gauge, but when I changed to Ernie Ball 10-56 the tone improved exponentially.

-Yeah, I had a stand but it was stolen (long story).

:)

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
At first I wasn't loving it because the low end sounded kinda muddy

was the muddyness on the Dsonic or the PAF? you should post some clips on both guitars man id love to hear what we see :hbang:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mr. S said:
was the muddyness on the Dsonic or the PAF? you should post some clips on both guitars man id love to hear what we see :hbang:

The D-Sonic. It was just the strings I had on there. When I put on different strings it was clear, warm, crisp and perfect. I'm sure you can use thick gauges with it, it's just that D'Addario 60 I happened to be using had no life to it. It did the same thing when I had the PAF7 in there, which is NEVER muddy. Definitely just the strings.

I can try to post clips of both. They both are incredibly heavy and articulate. Both are very clear yet brutal....but in different ways. The D-Sonic is probably a better choice for lead work, the PAF7 is the king of the rhythm. The PAF7 is warmer, but the DS7 is warm in it's own right. But, both are great for everything really.

To put it simply, the D Sonic just seems like a PAF7 with double the output. Which is really cool :)

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Hearo's Hi-FI FTW!

I can see where you took the three screws to mount the G-Major from. :lol:

But seriously, that's a damned nice rig. Makes me want a COW-7.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
DSS3 said:
Hearo's Hi-FI FTW!

I can see where you took the three screws to mount the G-Major from. :lol:

But seriously, that's a damned nice rig. Makes me want a COW-7.

LOL, yeah, I love those Hearos things. They last forever and they don't muffle the highs too much :yesway:

As for the screws, I actually took them from a Korg DTR-1000 tuner that was racked in there. For some reason I can't get the G Major to fit in there eventhough a 1U space was available. I'll have to take everything apart and see what's causing that to be. I took out the Korg because the G-Major has a tuner anyways. I probably will sell the Korg or give it to my bandmate. I might get a Marshall JMP-1 for that empty slot sometime.

Thanks, yeah the COW is sweet, everyone whos played mine flips out over it. It plays amazing and sounds killer.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Haha I was actually just looking at the three missing screws from the Mesa gear. ;)

That said, how bad are the acoustics of that room? I've played in concrete floored practice spaces, was like a damned fishtank for reverb! LOL

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The room sounds great. That's actually a carpet, it just looks like concrete. Everything sounds great, definitely don't have a reverb issue in there at all :)

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Hahaha I see it now - the lack of floorboards and excess of stainage threw me off \m/.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nah, its not my house or anything, I don't care if it looks shitty like that :) It's mostly just stains. Even we were to vacuum and clean it, beer, weed and cigarettes would just dirty it up in no time.

Btw, one downside to that Jackson for anyone thinking about getting one, the tuners are just horrible. They never stay in tune day to day, whereas my Ibanez stay in tune basically forever. Everything else about the guitar is awesome though, it just needs some Sperzels or whathaveyou. Exhibit A: :(

7-21-06d.jpg

')