Picstory: NGD/NPD (Carvin, Bareknuckle, Mesa Content)

• Thread starter kanamvar32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    picstory
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kanamvar32

Reaction score
Last week I received a phone call from the Carvin store in Hollywood, CA and was notified that my custom DC727 was completed and had arrived two weeks earlier than expected. Yet, I couldn’t pick it up right away because I was waiting for these to arrive in the mail:

CIMG0211.jpg

I ordered a Nailbomb 7 neck and Ceramic Warpig 7 bridge from Bare Knuckle Pickups. Tim at BKP was a lot of help in choosing the pickups and I received the order within 2 weeks. The packaging was nicely done and I even got a pack of strings (only 6, need 7 for my new guitar) and a BKP pick.

CIMG0214.jpg

Well, I received the BKPs on Monday

CIMG0213.jpg

And arranged to go to Hollywood to get them installed in my new Carvin guitar. I woke up this morning in my dorm room at USC

CIMG0228.jpg

CIMG0229.jpg

And headed to the library to work on a financial valuation project

CIMG0230.jpg

Yet, before going to work on my project I stopped by the coffee shop and picked up a bottle of water and some skittles.

CIMG0231.jpg

So after working for about 1 ¾ hours, I borrowed my friend’s car and headed to Sunset Blvd to the infamous “Guitar Row” as I call it. There are so many guitar stores located in one area. There is a Guitar Center

CIMG0234.jpg

A Mesa Boogie store (where I bought my Mesa Mark IV)

CIMG0233.jpg

A bunch of smaller stores and a Sam Ash and of course Carvin.

CIMG0232.jpg

I was in the Carvin store waiting to get my guitar setup with the new pickups so I decided to try out some other guitars. I really loved the CT6Ms and figured that if serious GAS kicks in, I will be buying one of those in Deep Blue w/ Quilt Top. Anyhow, after some routing (aka using sandpaper to widen the pickup slots) and some drilling, the pickups finally fit and my dc727 was ready to go.

The guitar came in a really nice SKB form fitted case with the Carvin name on front:

CIMG0235.jpg

Inside was my precious Carvin DC727. Here are some specs:
Alder body, tung oiled maple neck, ebony board, floyd rose, gold hardware, locking tuners and nut, black headstock, and strap locks.

CIMG0236.jpg

The neck is actually very comfortable, unlike most 7 stringers I’ve tried out. It’s thin but very sturdy and fits my hands well .The action is very low and the stainless steel jumbo frets are great. Since it’s a neck thru, upper fret access is super easy.

CIMG0240.jpg

There are also a lot of tonal options on the guitar. It has a volume and tone knob, 3 way pickup selector, and 2 coil tap switches.

CIMG0246.jpg

Even though I’ve never had a guitar with a floyd before, this wasn’t too difficult to deal with, given that Moshe at Carvin did a lot of work to get this thing ready. The locking nut does its job and the locking tuners makes string changes a bit faster. Plus, the gold hardware looks sexy.

CIMG0244.jpg

First impression of the pickups was HOLY CRAP THEY ARE LOUD! The bridge pickup has insane output, 20.5 according to Tim. The neck was at 11 or so. The CWP bridge is very heavy, beefy, and actually quite clear. You can hear every note in a chord well and it doesn’t muddy up in part to the brightness of the guitar. The neck is mellower but can still pack a punch. It’s very organic sounding (being alcino V and not a ceramic magnet), pretty good for lead work, cleans up extremely well, and even sounds good tapped.

CIMG0242.jpg

I’ve been working on EQing my Mark IV and so far it’s been going well expect that it’s late and I can’t make too much noise so I will wait until tomorrow or the day after to crank the amp and get the tone settings I want. Anyways, I am still getting some great sounds out of my amp. One of the guys on my floor was walking past my room (I had the door closed) and he knocked. I opened the door and he asked me, “Is that a 7 string guitar?” I pointed at this:

CIMG0243.jpg

And he went right for it. He loved playing it as he has been playing guitar for quite some time and loves metal. I was surprised he could tell it was a 7 stringer from outside my room but then he told me that I was playing quite loudly (even tho my amp was on the lowest power setting and at 3 and 3 on the master and channel volume). I guess he has good ears 

I highly recommend ordering a guitar from Carvin. It’s probably the best value guitar you can get that is excellent quality. The customer service was fantastic at the Hollywood store (thanks Moshe). For those in the US, the Bare Knuckle pickups are expensive (I paid $350 total for both pickups, shipping, and credit card currency exchange fee) but it’s completely worth it. The money you save buying direct from Carvin should allow you to throw a few extra bucks towards pickups.

As a note, I can’t record clips as I do not have recording gear and NO, I will not go buy a POD and record clips just for you guys haha. Maybe one day I will make clips but for now I recommend buying yourself a dc727 and some BKPs and hearing it in person.

Anyways, hope you guys liked my story. I had a good day and now I must sleep.

Cheers. -K

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
nice axe, nice picstory

gawd I'd love to check out "guitar row" or whatever you called it,
I'm so sick of GC around here

rummy

maybe this year
Contributor
Reaction score
A Mesa/Boogie store? Whoa! I wanna go to the row!

Nice guitar, and great pictures!!!

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! If I ever feel like changing the pickups in my Ibanez I'll go with Bareknuckles. :yesway:

Shaman

Reaction score
That's beautiful! I love the pearl white finish with gold hardware :yesway:
Have fun with her, but remember to be gentle :lol:

My DC727 should be arriving next week. Goddamn, I can't wait!

Congrats mate!

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn that looks gorgeous!

Those Warpigs are going to sound killer too. I used to have one in a previous 7 string I had, it works perfectly for 7 strings.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice guitar man and I personally love going to the Guitar places on Sunset Blvd. The Mesa Boogie store is wicked.

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
The "row" is quite impressive! That GC has the vintage store in the back where you will see shit that you will NEVER afford! :eek:

There are some cool little guitar shops tucked near Sunset Blvd on some of the side streets there as well. :agreed:

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
SO LET ME UNDERSTAND THIS, YOU ORDERED A CUSTOM 7 CARVIN, SEPARATELY BOUGHT SOME BAREKNUCKLE PICKUPS, & HAD THE CARVIN STORE INSTALL THEM?

THAT'S PRETTY IMPRESSIVE THAT THEY'RE WILLING TO DO THAT, DOES IT VOID YOUR WARRANTY?

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
She looks awesome, really nice pickup.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The bareknuckle packaging rules. :lol:

For price, in the state,s if you have to ask, you can't afford them.they're pricey, but they're supposed to rule.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool axe, man! get that dude to sign up here

kanamvar32

Reaction score
SO LET ME UNDERSTAND THIS, YOU ORDERED A CUSTOM 7 CARVIN, SEPARATELY BOUGHT SOME BAREKNUCKLE PICKUPS, & HAD THE CARVIN STORE INSTALL THEM?

THAT'S PRETTY IMPRESSIVE THAT THEY'RE WILLING TO DO THAT, DOES IT VOID YOUR WARRANTY?

I bought the guitar on the contigency that they install the BKPs properly. I also get 1 year service and maintenance on my guitar (so no string changes done by me!) as part of buying from the hollywood store instead of ordering online. Installing aftermarket pickups voids part of the 10 day return warranty but the 5 year stays intact. I played and examined the guitar before having the pickups installed and all seemed well so I went ahead with the installation.

for those wondering: the set of BKPs amounted to $350 including shipping and the foreign currency exchange fee. the guitar was $1234. For a while I was thinking of getting a EBMM 7 but those are pretty damn expensive so I figured I could get a custom carvin w/bareknuckles and it would be less expensive, a better guitar and more to my personal tastes.

I do love the smaller rooms in the Hollywood GC. Normally I go straight there to avoid the noisy main floor haha.

Thanks for the posts and comments guys, keep em coming!

')