Picstory/tutorial SD Custom+Jazz inside an S7320

• Thread starter 74n4LL0
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

74n4LL0

I'm a robot...
Reaction score
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Hi everybody...I promised to do this picstory...http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-general-tech/55698-replacement-pickups-ibanez-s7320-3.html#post1029276
So here it is, please have fun here you can see a little picstory/tutorial on how to put a couple of Seymour Duncans in the S7320...

This is the guitar, no need to take a lot of pictures, you all know the S7320
01.jpg

Pickups - this will be removed from here
04.jpg

OK now I'm going to go to the the secret laboratory to install the pickups. To achieve better results the secret laboratory is in Cremona the hometown of Stradivari and Luthiers (this information is really reserved, you know is a *secret* lab so don't tell anyone).
DuomoCremona600.jpg

Finally a little of work :D
Custom with Foam on the back
P5170005.jpg

P5170006.jpg

a couple of pics of the operations...as you can see I've decided to shield the cavity
P5170011.jpg

you see? it fit without routing...
P5170013.jpg

now let's put the jazz in
P5170014.jpg

ok the pickups are in
P5170015.jpg

so before it was like that
P5170007.jpg

and now is like...
P5170017.jpg

NO WAIT the jazz sound like SHIT!!!!
what is the error...yeah why did I put the white to the groud...It's black (standard should be green->ground but if you want the inner coil in position 4...)
so I swapped the white with the black...I forgot to take a picture and I don't want to take it now so use your immagination or...this schematic
P5170023.gif

Last picture with duncans in
P5170023-1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice. You cut the pole pieces, right?
How close is the pickup from the strings?
How do you like the tone?

Now, this should confirm that pickup cavities aren't the same size as in S7420, since my Custom wouldn't fit without routing.

74n4LL0

I'm a robot...
Reaction score
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Nice clean job man. :yesway:
Thx, that's basically cause I've done all this stuff in Cremona and the spirit of Stradivari Helped me out...

Nice. You cut the pole pieces, right?
How close is the pickup from the strings?
How do you like the tone?

Now, this should confirm that pickup cavities aren't the same size as in S7420, since my Custom wouldn't fit without routing.

- No I didn't cut the pole pieces!!!
- I let him stay pretty close (~ 2.5 mm ) but there is space to leave it like 6 mm from the strings
- the tone is really cool: the jazz is an incredible neck pickup, the custom is very powerful, and well I don't know how to describe it, it's still basically a Paf with scooped mids and more output, really cool It really saturate the amp, even the clean sounds are really different. position 2 3 4 are cool too!!!

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
nice job!
im thinking about swapping pups in my s7320 as well, but i cant decide which ones to get. what styles of music do you play on your 7?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
:yesway:

And yay for not having to do any routing and for being able to figure out what you wired wrong. With my last pickup installation, I had to do a lot of drilling, and I still need to go back in and figure out why the bridge pickup is noisy as hell and why the push/pull pots are working pretty much backwards from how they're supposed to. :rant: I like what you did with the pickup selection, by the way. Nice choices for positions 2 and 4.

Iceblade

Reaction score
74n4LL0,

Thank you 1,000,000,000x!!! This is the exact combination of pickups I want to throw in my S7320 based on feedback from the forum here. So awesome that you posted this so that I don't have to go through the trial and error hell of figuring out what I would likely wire incorrectly! You are a gentleman and a scholar! Thanks for sharing this, dude!

Regards,
Jeff

Iceblade

Reaction score
Sorry for the #necrothread resurrection. Just wanted to show my appreciation for having the exact info I needed/wanted.

Regs,
Jeff

')