Picture Says A Thousand Words...

• Thread starter zimbloth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
All I'm saying is racist stereotypes aren't going to get you to far around here. Don't let a few bad seeds ruin your perception all pro athletes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow. Anyways Ghostrider, your comparison to the 03-04 Lakers is silly. 3 out 4 stars on that team were in their mid/late 30s and way WAY past their prime. KG Pierce and Allen are only 30-32 and still in their prime. If you want to argue that in 3 years there might be some trouble, so be it, but not now.

Also, who cares about the bench? What bench did Detriot have when they won? Carlos Delfino and Lindsay Hunter, wooow. Besides Ainge isn't done.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
Kobe bryant, shaq, karl malone, and gary payton. That is a big 4. And the point was that piling up stars doesn't always work. And your going to need depth now in the east to win it. There is not one clear cut winner and every thing counts. A team that can go deep is going to be one up over others. Besides it might help if ainge considered players who can actually defend. Garnett can't defend 5 positions at once.

your rebuttal is silly. Where in my "solid analysis" did I mention anything regarding the age of those players??? Both Gary and Karl were coming off 20 ppg seasons as they joined the lakers. You think shaq was passed his prime??? He was about the same age as pierce. I have a news flash for you- Pierce, allen, and garnett are not in the primes of their career anymore either. Both pierce and allen faced big injuries last season. They are all amazing talents and will continue to put up great numbers but they are all over 30 and only getting older. Btw since when is over 30 considered being the prime of one's career for an nba player?? Last I looked most players hit their prime around their mid to late 20's.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Kobe bryant, shaq, karl malone, and gary payton. That is a big 4. And the point was that piling up stars doesn't always work. And your going to need depth now in the east to win it. There is not one clear cut winner and every thing counts. A team that can go deep is going to be one up over others. Besides it might help if ainge considered players who can actually defend. Garnett can't defend 5 positions at once.

your rebuttal is silly. Where in my "solid analysis" did I mention anything regarding the age of those players??? Both Gary and Karl were coming off 20 ppg seasons as they joined the lakers. You think shaq was passed his prime??? He was about the same age as pierce. I have a news flash for you- Pierce, allen, and garnett are not in the primes of their career anymore either. Both pierce and allen faced big injuries last season. They are all amazing talents and will continue to put up great numbers but they are all over 30 and only getting older. Btw since when is over 30 considered being the prime of one's career for an nba player?? Last I looked most players hit their prime around their mid to late 20's.

I pretty much agreed with everything you said here, and yes, you really do need deep bench for a long season and then the playoffs! Besides, having too much stars on your team, and you only have one ball to share? That COULD be a problem too.

Of course, all KG, Pierce and Ray are not the selfish type, but they still need to have the damn ball to be effective. So we will see. If you ask me, I think the Celtics' immediately trouble spot is not really their bench, it is their coaching. You need a Jim O'Brien type coach to install some structure in both ends of the floor for this group of guys, not someone like Doc who stresses more run and gun then anything else. Sure, you could argue when he first started coaching in Orlando, he stressed defense and all. But when you had virtually no offensive players on your roster to start with, and you had Big Ben, what do you do? Later when he got T-Mac, it was all run and gun from there on.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Once again, Payton/Malone were washed up and Shaq wasnt the same. KG/Pierce/Allen are barely 30 and in their primes. Terrible comparison.

PS: Jim O'Brien is the worst coach ever. He had one fluke season where he took advantage of the new defensive rules before everyone else figured out how to counter it. He's been a disgrace ever since, and will continue to be in Indiana this season.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
Once again, Payton/Malone were washed up and Shaq wasnt the same. KG/Pierce/Allen are barely 30 and in their primes. Terrible comparison.

PS: Jim O'Brien is the worst coach ever. He had one fluke season where he took advantage of the new defensive rules before everyone else figured out how to counter it. He's been a disgrace ever since, and will continue to be in Indiana this season.

Do you ever do your homework or do you just start talking? Payton and Malone were coming off 20 ppg seasons. Sure not their best years- but far from washed up. Shaq wasn't the same cause he had to share his ppg with malone. Kg/pierce/allen are not as all around talented as those player were either. Malone, shaq, payton, and kobe can ALL play defense. I know this is a new concept for the celtics but try and stay with me here. There are two ends of the floor, offense and defense. It won't mean shit if allen and pierce are scoring 20 ppg a game when they guys they are supposed to be guarding are dropping 30. Did you pay attention to how well these guys' teams last year did with them? The lakers comparison is a fine comparison. A group of stars past their primes trying to win a tittle. Pierce/allen/ and kg are all over 30. Their best years are behind them. At 30 and 31 don't count on pierce or allen to all of the sudden learn defense.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you think Karl Malone and Gary Payton in 2004 weren't mere shells of their former selves, then wow. At some point, being a contrarian and argumentative for the hell of it becomes a waste of time dude. Comparing 2004, 40 year old Malone/Payton to 30-31 year old KG/Pierce/Allen is just asinine.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Hey Nick, let me just say this. Payton was over the hill that year he played for the Lakers, yes, no argument there. :yesway: For Karl Malone, he was still way better than most PFs in their early 30's in 2004!!! Sadly he hurt his knee in Dec., 2003 playing against the Suns, and it turned out to be a major injury to him and to the Lakers.

He was somewhat recovered by playoffs time, and his performance in the Rockets series was just wow!!! It's too bad he re-injured his knee in the Finals, while Horace Grant was already out...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I know I'm not saying Karl Malone was a stiff then, but he was still 40 and he's not Kevin Garnett or Paul Pierce at 30-31.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
I understand not everyone agrees with Mr.Blackcock's way of saying things, that's cool, but I think he got a point in that playing both ends on the court thingy. KG is a pretty damn good defender, yes, and Pierce can more than hold his ground too. Other than those two, I never knew Ray plays any championship type D, nor the rest of the Celtics bench at this point.

BTW, you guys just signed Eddie House and Pollard, and neither one of them are known for the D either. We will see.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
I know I'm not saying Karl Malone was a stiff then, but he was still 40 and he's not Kevin Garnett or Paul Pierce at 30-31.

No one said he was kg or pierce. But he was far from washed up. washed up is patrick ewing averaging 6 ppg a game in an orlando magic uniform. NOt a 40 year old guy dropping 30 in playoff games.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Time will tell about the Celtics supposed horrible defense. Most of the players who can't play D were traded away. Rondo, KG, and Perkins are at worst above average defenders. Pierce has shown the ability to play good D, admittably last 2 seasons his D has slipped a bit. We have several good defenders on our bench - especially Tony Allen.

I think it's possible our defense will be mediocre, but I really don't think it's going to be as bad as everyones saying. I think our offense will more than make up for it. The Suns didn't have good defense, and they were one crooked referee away from making the finals.

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
the suns also score 110 ppg a game. The celtics won't. even if the big 3 score 25ppg a piece they won't cause the bench is so piss ass weak.

')