Piezos and buzz

• Thread starter dobbinlecher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dobbinlecher

Reaction score
to anyone with a piezo system, how much do they pick up string buzz? I use an action low enough that there's some acoustic buzz that isn't picked up when amplified but was wondering if piezos would amplify it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Piezos are more sensitive to string buzz, so most likely they will capture and amplify that subtle string buzz. But you can eliminate that string buzz with a fall fret leveling/crowning in order to get low action. I have about 1.25mm at 12th fret on the 7th string on my guitars without fretbuzz. Obviously if I hit them harder something will be heard, but generally the sound comes pretty clean, either with mags or with piezos.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Part of what gives Piezo pickups that faux-coustic sound is that extra sensitivity to buzz and miscellaneous string noise.

Depending on the guitar and the installation, lowering the preamp gain and treble can help smooth out some of that noise, but you'll run the risk of sounding dull and dark.

Latest posts

')