Pimp Alexi-600 :D (what are the damn tuner model and specs?)

neurosis

Reaction score
Hi folks. So since it's a new year and I am done with some heavy workload I have some time to hobby.

As some know I got an Alexi Blacky for cheap last year. Initially it was dirty and sounded pretty flat. i cleaned it completely and polished and adjusted everything. I am somewhat in love with this guitar. It's ironic that it's the instrument that cost me the least but I am so in love with the way it feels.

So I have decided to pimp it up so to speak.

I want to put an EMG85X in it and change the hardware to either gold or complete black.

It's going to be a Floyd kit and the EMG.

My concern right now is with the tuners. I think I am going to go for another set of Grovers, but I have no idea what the model is. I have been reading all i could and since the measures change and the store I am going to order from has little information i wanted to ask if somebody knows what tuners they are. I know they are a set of 6 in line Rotomatics but I don't know if they are 14:1 or any other specs. Don't know if they are minis or mid or what?

I can't really say I like the color of the hardware right now. It looks just dirty as f*#k, which is what it is probably ment to be, but I just don't like it :nono:, hence the choice of a new Floyd in a more classy configuration that would require new tuners to match.

Does anybody know what the specific tuners are?

Also, I have heard that the EMG85X could be difficult to install since the cables that come in the box are probably going to short to install the jack in the Alexi routing. Anybody knows about this? My friend took his 81X to a luthier and therefore couldn't tell me if this was an issue but I have noticed from pictures that the cables coming with the Alexi signature set are longer than those of other sets, thus why I fear what may come:scream:

Will probably post pictures of the finished thing once I have it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
ESP uses Gotoh on a lot of their Signature and Standard series guitars, and Sperzel on a lot of the Eclipses, and James Hetfield signature guitars..

The Blacky has Gotoh stock, and they're supposed to be interchangeable with Grovers.

personally, I'd find a set of Gotoh 510s or the Magnum Lock that comes on the Standard series guitars. They're really nice (i had a set on my ESP Viper 7).

About the wiring issue:
I'm not sure, but the 85X will come with a volume and tone pot that you can put in place of the existing pot. Though I don't know how it would be wired with the afterburner boost. EMG's website would have the information with the wiring.

neurosis

Reaction score
ESP uses Gotoh on a lot of their Signature and Standard series guitars, and Sperzel on a lot of the Eclipses, and James Hetfield signature guitars..

The Blacky has Gotoh stock, and they're supposed to be interchangeable with Grovers.

personally, I'd find a set of Gotoh 510s or the Magnum Lock that comes on the Standard series guitars. They're really nice (i had a set on my ESP Viper 7).

About the wiring issue:
I'm not sure, but the 85X will come with a volume and tone pot that you can put in place of the existing pot. Though I don't know how it would be wired with the afterburner boost. EMG's website would have the information with the wiring.

Sicarius! Thank you very much!

I unmounted all the hardware and stripped the guitar yesterday. It has Grovers on it. All hardware is nickel.

I am planning on getting all black Grovers or just the gold ones but I am confused with the size I should get. I don't know if they are medium, mini or what?

As for the wiring the Blacky I have came with the HZ but not with the boost. Also, the electronics are soldered very cheaply. Single volume pot and jack are soldered and grounded to the floyd. The only solderless connection is the actual pick up.

I was thinking of getting the entire solderless kit with the boost but it is also unclear on the website if this will fit or require extra cabling. I like the 85X but I think maybe it will be a pain in the ass and in the end not spare me the soldering which I suck at, honestly.

The Alexi kit would be all solderless except for the wire that goes for grounding, so maybe that is a better option.

I just want something I can do on my own without having to pay a luthier for a simple soldering :D

The only thing I really need is to know if I can replace the cables or extend them without soldering if necessary.

Apart from that if you could send me a link with the model and specs for the grovers wold be amazing. I don't understand the specifications on the website since I don't know how the sizes go, specially everything marked in inches.

HAve a great day, man!:hbang:

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Grover tuning keys, just that they and Gotoh use the same size hole in the headstock.

good luck :/

neurosis

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Grover tuning keys, just that they and Gotoh use the same size hole in the headstock.

good luck :/

Thanks a lot anyway, man! I am going crazy with the research :wallbash:

It would be so much easier if the guitar companies specified what tuners they mount instead of just naming the brand :cool:

Anyway. I measured and it has to be a 6mm diameter. Now I have to find a website with the specifics and compare. It's a pain in the ass.

Rock on!:shred:

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
AFAIK, Schaller m6 locking tuners also work. I recommend those. They're super smooth feeling, The knob is thicker so you can grip it better, and they don't add a lot of weight to the headstock.

Latest posts