Pinch harmonics on an upstroke

• Thread starter ncfiala
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
My pinch harmonics on a downstroke are pretty consistent using my thumb but I can't figure out a good way to do them on an upstroke. I'm trying to use my index finger but it's not working well. What do you guys do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
i actually learned how to do this just for fun, never had to use it in a riff though...

i use my middle finger actually. the part behind the nail before the first knuckle. this would probably be really awkward for most people but, my default pick-posture is similar to the way people hold pencils. i use my thumb, first, and middle fingers.

after learning how to up-pick a pinch harmonic... i decided i needed to learn how to trem pinch harmonics... now i know that gimmick too :)

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Oddly, I'm just the opposite. I only get pinch harmonics (with my thumb) on upstrokes, and my ability to hit them on downstrokes is pretty hit-or-miss.

I'll be damned if I can describe exactly how I do it though. Basically, I hit the note with the flesh of my thumb... right where the pick meets said flesh (little area between the fingernail and pick)... at the exact same time and pull UP. Get a nice squeal that way.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
Now I seem to be getting it with my index finger pretty consistently, but I have to adjust my grip slightly. With downstroke pinch harmonics I don't have to adjust my grip at all since I always play with just a tiny bit of the pick poking out.

Reaction score
I've never done that kind of pinch harmonics... I think it's just hard enough to get exactly the right sound every single time just by using a downstroke. But to tremolo pick pinch harmonics...that would be cool!

redstone

Reaction score
- nevermind - didn't read tripguitar

I do the same, works especially well with trills, pentas and such.. great to add an octave on the upper frets.

Dayn

Reaction score
I rotate my pick a bit so the edge hits the string, slicing through it instead of the flat part plucking it. That way, since my thumb is wider than the tip of the pick, it slices through the string and my thumb stays over the node. Then I can quickly alternate-pick harmonics.

DVRP

The HUMANCENTiPAD
Reaction score
I just sort of naturally developed the technique without knowing, but Im pretty certain the knuckle on my index finger touches the string when I do it.

fatfinger

Reaction score
I do it on the upstroke with index finger but can't do it that way on the downstroke. I think it's the way I hold my pick though with just a little bit of meat hanging over the edge.

')