"Pirates buy more music than average consumers."

• Thread starter Philligan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
You're pretty delusional. Indie labels might care, but it's not about indie labels, it never has been. It's about the big labels, and they only care about money, they don't give a fuck about the artists.

Who gets nothing? I don't really see any decline in popular music, in fact, I see quite the opposite. I see more music, I see more genres, I see more variety, I see more availability. It's not just popular music, same thing is happening to classical music as well, and to jazz also.

All businesses are about making money. So whats your point? If a business wasn't about making money it wouldn't be a very good business to begin with. Even non-profit companies have to make money.

Reading articles and commentary on the topic of piracy and the varied solutions being implemented or attempting to be implemented has shown me how ingrained "the man" mentality is. It is all quite childish IMO and a lot of it seems to be from adults (as much as one can tell on the internet).

I was reading a techdirt article on the subject of SOPA and while I agree SOPA was severely flawed, I couldn't help but notice that I don't think there is solution that exists that will make anyone happy. That is a severe problem, if only because without compromise all it leads to is the consumer getting nothing it wants. People are upset that the media industry is involved with the legal process, but the laws need to be written by someone in the tech field and many companies/people are taking the 'fuck you' approach. So I ask again, what do people expect?

The best solution IMO is shutting down the major distributors and doing nothing else because that means it will leave youtube, soundcloud, most other websites, consumers, etc. out of it. Megaupload is a good example of the right direction, even though it blew up in everyone's face. Demonoid has been shutdown, but then the other issue is they all get reopened eventually relatively unaltered (wasn't the first time they shut it down). Shutting down the large distributors resolves most of the problem and puts all of the legal stuff on their shoulders instead of ours.

In a way it is sad that this is probably the best course of action since
1. Very hard to do given current law and international restrictions
2. The idea of torrent sites as a tool is brilliant and simple (shame for it to disappear)

The only other option, based on my reading, is doing nothing according to other tech companies. The issue here is the problem is not small, but at the same time I understand where these other companies are coming from. SOPA, specifically, would have affected the way many companies do business and does remove the 'honesty' of the internet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
Semi-related.

What do you guys think?

Leading Musicians Protest Against Pandora Royalties | News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Do you think Pandora should be getting a better deal like other services or it should stay the way it is?

Or the most unlikely scenario of all, do you feel like the other services should be paying more?

Not sure how I personally feel on this issue as I have no idea what any of their business models actually look like. What I do know is it seems like when someone is discussing taking more money or less money from a business it seems like all of a sudden they are floating the line (truth or fiction?).

')