Plan "A" rig not doable anymore. Now what?

• Thread starter incinerated_guitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Find a used dual rec for around 800. Then youve great, big balls. But you need it tight...add a tube screamer for $60 used. Dual rec boosted sounds pretty beastly. Ive gotten tons of compliments live with mine, from sound guys even.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Well aside from me already deciding for sure I want a 6505 (though I know that DID contradict my first post), thats WAAAYYY out of my budget. I still need to get a cab. And every time I heard an engl powerball/fireball live, I didnt actually ever hear it :lol:

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
OK, here's my spiel:

- If you can find a VHT UL for your budget, just buy it. One of THE best sounding amps out there, as in, seriously, don't even stop to think about it. It's dry, aggressive, but has a finesse to it and the lead channels are from god. I use a tubescreamer to loosen mine up a little. No kidding. Play this and it'll make your playing better, play well, sound like god, play badly, well, lets just say it's not exactly forgiving. ALso, it's nice and loud, but is also fairly bedroom volume friendly. My UL has destroyed other peoples rigs because it sits so nicely in a band mix, always audible, and doesn't hog the space, so it also plays nicely with a lot of other amps.

- 5150 or 6505, and then bias mod it (3$ worth of parts from an electronics store). Aggressive as hell, in fact THE most aggressive amnd devastating amp i have EVER played. Paired through a mesa cab, tubescreamer up front, and using the CRUNCH (NOT the lead) channel, this thing cuts, and is just like a jackhammer.

- Triple rectifier (new ones), very mesa sound, but has that aggressive edge to it, and again, with tubescreamer, tightens up nicely.

I don't know about used prices, but if the UL is in budget, just get it, seriously, amazing leads, awesome rhtym and a sweet clean which is awesome all in one. I'd also recommend the EQ version, despite people poo pooing it, as it allows you to subtely tweak in saturation per frequency band, and expands the tonal possibilities.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and I am NEVER selling my Ultralead, it'll have to be pried from my cold dead hands, and this is coming from a mesa endorsee (Although, to be fair, I am never parting with the Roadking II ever, as it is my current favorite ever go to amp, but beyond the budget of this thread, otherwise I'd recommend that)!

myampslouder

Reaction score
Would I be biasing the 5150 hotter or colder? And Im picking up a mesa cab in a few hours, so unfortunately, the VHT's are going to be out of my budget now.

Might be for the best. Most people agree that VHT amps don't sound their best unless you use the matching cab.

Good choice on a cab though. Mesa cabs are some of the best cabs I've ever used. They tend to bring out the best in most amps. Especially is you get a 5150 or keep your XXX. Mesa cabs and peavey amps are a match made in hell

WestOfSeven

Reaction score
VHT ultralead for $1000 guitar entre used site and they ship free to their stores.

You can thank me later.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
I already saw that before I decided to make the move on the mesa cab. I think I made a post already stating that I have a $1300 budget, but I just decided to go and spend $500 on the cab and $170 on a new set of pickups, so the VHT UL is way out of my budget now.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Might be for the best. Most people agree that VHT amps don't sound their best unless you use the matching cab.

Good choice on a cab though. Mesa cabs are some of the best cabs I've ever used. They tend to bring out the best in most amps. Especially is you get a 5150 or keep your XXX. Mesa cabs and peavey amps are a match made in hell

You're definitely right about the mesa cab. This thing brings out the life in my Triple. I'm actually considering keeping it now just because my tone sounds so damn mean with this combination :yesway:

GraveMind

Reaction score
For about 1300 you could pick up the Blackstar ht 20 or 40 used for about 350-450. Replace the speaker with a V30 or the WGS veteran 30. With what you have left over from that you could pick up a tubescreamer or ts variant, a gate, and if you dont want the amp on the floor an amp stand and you'll be good to go. :D

GraveMind

Reaction score
Dude all I'm trying to say is a 20-40 watt tube amp is plenty loud. Plus playing fairly large venues will more than likely have your amp mic'd so volume would not be an issue. But then again thats just my opinion :)

Shask

Reaction score
VHT/Fryette Deliverance D120

I had one for awhile. While it was not my favorite amp, it fits your description very well. That amp will shatter bones with a little volume.

I still think Ola's video of it is a good respresentation... now just imagine if you boosted it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_AtfNZLkIs

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
- If you can find a VHT UL for your budget, just buy it. One of THE best sounding amps out there, as in, seriously, don't even stop to think about it. It's dry, aggressive, but has a finesse to it and the lead channels are from god. I use a tubescreamer to loosen mine up a little. No kidding. Play this and it'll make your playing better, play well, sound like god, play badly, well, lets just say it's not exactly forgiving. ALso, it's nice and loud, but is also fairly bedroom volume friendly. My UL has destroyed other peoples rigs because it sits so nicely in a band mix, always audible, and doesn't hog the space, so it also plays nicely with a lot of other amps.

Finding a UL in his price range would be the deal of the century I think, at least from what I have seen before. But then again, if you do see one, jump on that shit!

However, I got my VHT/Fryette Pittbull 50cl for a grand, and its one of the best amps I've ever played. Incredible tone, and thus far has ended my amp whoring days. I'm definitely never gonna let go of this thing.

The Deliverance is also an incredible amp, as indicated in the post above mine

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Dude all I'm trying to say is a 20-40 watt tube amp is plenty loud. Plus playing fairly large venues will more than likely have your amp mic'd so volume would not be an issue. But then again thats just my opinion :)

I know its loud enough, I had an 18 watt 212 for shits and giggles for a while, but, spread. I need spread. As well as headroom. Cranking a 20/40 watt 112 to keep up with our extremely loud drummer (who triggers kicks, and mics the snare, as well as micing overheads when the pa is up to par) as well as samples, while tuned to Drop A will cause the amp to shit the bed...Especially when I dont like micing unless we are in a venue that absolutely calls for it. Just personal preference. As well as we play a lot of venues that just wont mic the guitar, but will do a full mic on the kit (dont know why)

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
And I'd take it that I must be the only one who reads through an entire thread anymore...guys my mind has been made. I'm keeping the triple and I'm very happy with my mesa cab.

Latest posts

')