Planning my neck through 7 string V build

• Thread starter thedonutman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thedonutman

Reaction score
Glued up part of the neck a few mins ago.

2603082251iz2.jpg

thedonutman

Reaction score
I'm planning on ordering the fretboard today, but I've been offered a few fretboards:

1. Wenge slotted 25.5"
2. Ebony slotted 26.2"
3. Ebony slotted and radiused 25.5"

Does the extra .8" make that much difference to the low B? I am aware that a lot of Schecter 7s are 26.5", which I assume does make a difference. The reason I ask is because the 25.5" boards (both the wenge and ebony) are significantly cheaper than the extended scale one.

Also, anyone know what kind of ebony this is?

fboard.jpg

thedonutman

Reaction score
After hand sawing, the side I started on was not bad actually, just need to take it down a little with a sander and plane

Lets have a look at the other side:
headstock2iv8.jpg

DOH!!! I guess I overcompensated and went to the other side

Some belt sander and Orbital sander later :

neck1vz4.jpg

I'm going to finish smoothing it out tomorrow, as well as carving out some of the back of the neck, so the FB is easier to glue on.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you using the piece you cut from the neck for the headstock, or are you cutting a separate piece? Just curious. Looking good, BTW.

thedonutman

Reaction score
Are you using the piece you cut from the neck for the headstock, or are you cutting a separate piece? Just curious. Looking good, BTW.

Do you mean if I'm doing a scarf joint or not?

If so, then no, I'm not. I'm not a real luthier, just a kid in his conservatory :D, and I don't feel confident that I can do one properly. I'm making another few cuts on the maple that that should allow most of the headstock with the 13 degree angle to fit on. The should be a bit at the end where it won't be thick enough, so I'll just glue another little block on.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Do you mean if I'm doing a scarf joint or not?

If so, then no, I'm not. I'm not a real luthier, just a kid in his conservatory :D, and I don't feel confident that I can do one properly. I'm making another few cuts on the maple that that should allow most of the headstock with the 13 degree angle to fit on. The should be a bit at the end where it won't be thick enough, so I'll just glue another little block on.

Dude. Scarf joints are VERY easy if well-planned out and are much stronger and more wood-friendly than trying to hack a back-angled headstock out of a whole block of wood.

thedonutman

Reaction score
I got an email back from Swineshead pickups about a 7 string stacked humbucker

Thanks for the email. We'd be happy to build a 7 string single coil sized humbucker. The design I was thinking would be to use a dual rail design but rather than having a "blade" we would use 14 individual stud pole pieces.

The design would have to be custom built and we would need to order in some custom made magnets. Because of this the pickup would cost £130. If you are interested in having the pickup built please let me know and I can add a custom page to our online store where it would be available for purchase.

F**K, £130! Maybe the SD custom shop could make a 7 string version of the hotrails/mini 59 for cheape?

thedonutman

Reaction score
fretboardez2.jpg

gluexj7.jpg

fbglueoz8.jpg

You can see from the first picture that the fretboard is thinner than my RG's, thats because I'm having 2.3mm binding on both sides.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I got an email back from Swineshead pickups about a 7 string stacked humbucker

F**K, £130! Maybe the SD custom shop could make a 7 string version of the hotrails/mini 59 for cheape?

SD's custom shop is really reasonably priced. Give them a phone call, they have very good service as well.

thedonutman

Reaction score
Progress:

pict1539eb9.jpg

It's looking very rough right now, but I learned my lesson from gluing the neck blanks and I wiped off the excess. There is still a blood stain on the back of it from when I cut my hand with a saw and bled all over the maple :D

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Jackson reversed-headstock WIN :agreed:

That will be shredtastic :hbang::shred:

It looks good already :lol:

blackout

Reaction score
That axe is gonna be sick, i'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. If i could ever go custom, mine would be very similar.

')