Play along DVDs

• Thread starter Maniacal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
Is there a way you can export the GP6 file to GP5? I know that a similar option is available in GP5 (GP5 to GP4). Only reason I ask is that I don't have GP6.

Will look more into these tonight!

Edit: Nevermind. Just saw on the site that GP5 files are included. I hadn't looked yet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Yeah GP5 is included. And if you don't have Guitar Pro you can just use the MIDI and PDF files.

Maniacal

Reaction score
New intermediate routines are up. I will record some video samples today so you can get an idea of what they are about.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Cool, glad you like them.

I am writing the advanced picking play along at the moment. It is taking me ages! Hopefully it will be up tonight/tomorrow.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Quick question, do you think 45 minutes is too long for a picking routine?

I mean, for me it's not. But for some it may be a little extreme.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
@Maniacal

How is your lesson content formulated?

The big problem I had with Frank Gambale's guitar torture DVD was he made up a load of nonsensical excercises and expected the player to remember it all.

An hour of all the modes (precisely as they exist with no intelligent deviation), 5 positions of the pentatonic, All 7 2 and 3 octave arpeggios from the scales etc. all accurate to their original formulas would be useful as a study aid.

I made a CD with content like this on. Miserable failure for my students who tested it, who said it was "... too basic."

Just my thoughts on this topic, no offence intended.

jbrin0tk

Reaction score
Hey Maniacal,

I don't think 45 mins is too long in terms of
length. My only issue would sometimes be not having enough time to work on that one routine and work on another one covering another aspect of technique. But I think that could be resolved with some proper scheduling. I hope that makes sense.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Not offended at all, good question.

The routines are split into specific techniques:
alternate picking
legato
sweep picking
tapping
modes, chords and arpeggios

Decide what you need to work on, open the PDF or GP file and play along. If you wanted to practice alternate picking, legato and learn modes, you could just do those 3. That would take about 1 hour.

Most of the exercises are very simple and so don't require much practice prior to actually playing along to the track.

The first mode play along covers the first 3 modes and is laid out like this:
Begins with C Ionian just up and down
C Ionian triad chord and arpeggio
C Ionian seventh chord and arpeggio
C Ionian ninth chord and arpeggio
Then it does the same but with D Dorian and E Phrygian
Next the modes are combined ascending AND descending (its amazing how many guitarists don't practice modes and arpeggios starting on the high E)
Next is a chord exercise, starting with C Ionian - triad, seventh and ninth chord
Does the same with D Dorian and E Phrygian
Then combining triadic chords, so just switching between C, Dm and Em
Combining sevenths
Combining ninths
Then combining arpeggios C, Dm, Em
Combining seventh arpeggios
Combining ninth arpeggios

The End.

After playing this routine for 3 or 4 weeks you will know all the common chords and arpeggios associated with those modes. Then obviously, you can move on to the next mode play along.

Maniacal

Reaction score
And I agree with the Gambale remark, lots of the shapes were useless to me and many of the exercises were either too slow, or too awkward.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Hey Maniacal,

I don't think 45 mins is too long in terms of
length. My only issue would sometimes be not having enough time to work on that one routine and work on another one covering another aspect of technique. But I think that could be resolved with some proper scheduling. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers for the feedback Jesse, I am trying to keep it to around 35/40 minutes.

Maniacal

Reaction score
@Maniacal

I made a CD with content like this on. Miserable failure for my students who tested it, who said it was "... too basic."

That was an issue I had with doing DVDs. Which is why I have split the play alongs into beginner, intermediate, advanced and (eventually) super nerd levels.

Once you can play the beginner picking routine with only 2/3 mistakes, you can move onto the intermediate play along. That way there is no need to start at the same boring level each time.

I think it is a good system, I do the same method with my private students and it seems to work well.

James_E

Hacker, at best
Reaction score
Anything you find "too slow" in the files can be sped up very easily... change the bpm in guitar pro and voila! ... Shred speeds!

Maniacal

Reaction score
the first advanced routine is up. Alternate picking part 1

Good luck playing through all of it!

Osorio

Reaction score
I desperately need this. Shame the video couldn't be done, it would have been a HUGE helper to actually see it done and try to mimic it visually (I'm an extremely visual learner) But I'm mighty glad to be able to pick this up at a reasonable price. Will probably get the beginner bundle buy the end of the month!

Maniacal

Reaction score
Well the advantage of selling them as downloads instead is I am able to reduce to price but a lot.

I will put videos on YouTube showing you most of the exercises, plus you can always give me an email if you need help.

Osorio

Reaction score

The pricing is definitely a concern for me (as I'm sure it is to you). But it sits at a delicious range as it stands.

I live in Brazil, the currency exchange rates and border taxes kills some stuff for me. I would really like to get your books, for example, but they are simply out of my prince range. After all the monetary exchanges took place, I would even have to pay extra taxes for importing something over a 50 dollars, which would lead the overall amount I would have to pay in the 150s+ bucks (in local Brazilian Reais).

So a download for a few bucks that I can incorporate into my daily routine "right away" is right up my ally.

Maniacal

Reaction score

The pricing is definitely a concern for me (as I'm sure it is to you). But it sits at a delicious range as it stands.

I live in Brazil, the currency exchange rates and border taxes kills some stuff for me. I would really like to get your books, for example, but they are simply out of my prince range. After all the monetary exchanges took place, I would even have to pay extra taxes for importing something over a 50 dollars, which would lead the overall amount I would have to pay in the 150s+ bucks (in local Brazilian Reais).

So a download for a few bucks that I can incorporate into my daily routine "right away" is right up my ally.

wow that is insane. Postage and Paypal costs have really fucked up my business, which is why I am going the download route instead of more books.

Eventually I will make my books downloadable too, I just need to get rid of my last few boxes of books. This will make them much cheaper to buy as I won't need to spend $28 posting a book to the US!

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
This is a great idea not just for speed and endurance.
Serious blocks of time playing to a click will really improve time, especially if the source material is simple and digestible enough that you can really focus on sync.

')