Played a Jackson X series 7 today...my thoughts

• Thread starter Floppystrings
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was a neon green fixed bridge.

I was kind of shocked, the neck shape was very unusual. The edges are angled, like a flying saucer cut in half.

I played a blue six string version aswell, and the neck shape was the same.

On both of the guitars the tune-o-matic was tilting, under the string tension. This can not be good for intonation... :spock: There was also a rather large finish flaw on the neon one, like the white undercoat was peeking through the edge.

I am pretty dissapointed.

I advise everyone to play before you buy. :noplease:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Like an older Ltd. neck, or thinner?

It is way different.

The side dots are on an angled piece of wood, it was very strange. I don't know why they decided to try this neck cut on an early line of 7's.

I was thinking, this won't sell well, and Jackson will be all like, "looks like 7's don't sell well, better not make them." I hope that doesn't happen.

It is really like a ( shape. there is no flat sides to the neck at all. I should have took some pictures with my phone, dang.

Exit Existence

Reaction score
I haven't played any of these yet, but having played some of the other x series jacksons, my expectations aren't really high.

The 6 string x series ive played all felt cheap overall in quality, especially for their price tag.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, a lot of Jacksons have that, including my USA RR1, but only that the lower end of the neck, and it's only noticable at the first 3 or so frets.

As in this shape with the top 1/3 cut off as opposed to the top 1/2 like you would expect - i.e the fingerboard intersects higher up the oval rather than through the middle so there are protrusions on the sides.

6484d1324356328-i-bought-new-piece-gear-oval2.gif

Am I the only one that things the cheap Jacksons are great for the money? The JS stuff I was selling last year was consistently great, great specs, great finishes, great prices, and I could get excellent setups out of them.

Reaction score
If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, a lot of Jacksons have that, including my USA RR1, but only that the lower end of the neck, and it's only noticable at the first 3 or so frets.

As in this shape with the top 1/3 cut off as opposed to the top 1/2 like you would expect - i.e the fingerboard intersects higher up the oval rather than through the middle so there are protrusions on the sides.

6484d1324356328-i-bought-new-piece-gear-oval2.gif

Am I the only one that things the cheap Jacksons are great for the money? The JS stuff I was selling last year was consistently great, great specs, great finishes, great prices, and I could get excellent setups out of them.

That shape would have been fine, I have played many jacksons before and none have had this neck shape.

It was more like this, and I have never played anything like it:

phantaz

Mt Death Head
Reaction score
I have one of these guitars and for the price I am very happy with it.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

Come to think of it that's actually how I'd describe Parker's neck profile. It felt weird at first but you get used to it. My SLS3 has some shoulder to it but it's definitely a very curved profile. I'd wager that the $1000+ range Jackson's are like that then, and now including these it's the $700+

Dan Halen

Reaction score
IDK my Warrior Has a Neck like that i love the fuck out of it. Its my best guitar. and the same with my Rhoads.

Chris_Casket

Reaction score
Got one of these on order, noticed on the Jackson spec sheet it says it has a "speed neck" profile which doesnt feature on any other current jackson model.

Interested to see how it is compared to my other soloists.

MWC262

Reaction score
One of the luthier's from Ibanez went to Jackson and has been working and helped design the neck for most of the X series guitars. So that's probably why it feel weird at least I hope that's why.... :(

Dooky

Reaction score
It's amazing what you take for granted.
RIP Japanese Jackson Factory. :(

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
It's amazing what you take for granted.
RIP Japanese Jackson Factory. :(

A few people don't like the neck, so the company is dead? :scratch:

I have been thinking about ordering one of these for some time. I am going to wait until the other color options become available at retailers near me to buy, then I'll weigh in my opinion.

nedheftyfunk

Reaction score
Thanks for the review.

Got one of these on order, noticed on the Jackson spec sheet it says it has a "speed neck" profile which doesnt feature on any other current jackson model.

Interested to see how it is compared to my other soloists.

Even though the website doesn't say so, the KV2, KE2 and WR1 all have the speed neck profile, which is thinner than on a soloist.

Dooky

Reaction score
A few people don't like the neck, so the company is dead? :scratch:

I have been thinking about ordering one of these for some time. I am going to wait until the other color options become available at retailers near me to buy, then I'll weigh in my opinion.
You've misunderstood what I said. I said: "RIP Japanese Jackson Factory". The key words being: 'Japanese' and 'Factory'
There is no longer a Japanese Factory which is why they are building more of their guitars elsewhere. I'm hoping that they are just having some teething problems, but I'm doubtful, I don't think the Non-USA Jackson are ever going to be anywhere near as good as the Japanese Jacksons.

')