Played on my first 8s, omen 8 and hellraiser..meh

• Thread starter notasian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

notasian

Reaction score
went to guitar center and too my surprise there were 2 guitars that weren't Gibsons :/

i was excited to play my first 8s, so i picked up dat omen and plugged her in..

sorry for people who own this but im glad i didnt buy it!! felt like crap to play!! sticky neck, no fret access, terrible fret job! ugh ! the stickers on the pickups were coming off and hitting the strings, and it sounded soo muddy and gross!

then i found the hellraiser special, it was much better with the set through neck and those great emgs, but i still couldn't get used to the sticky paint and the frets were still bad and the f# was floppy just like with the omen! no clarity what so ever!

anyway im definalty sticking with agile for my first 8 wich im hoping will be soon. sorry if im bagging on any ones baby, but i really didnt like either guitar.
hoped this helped anyone looking to buy an omen 8!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

edkaye

Reaction score
went to guitar center and too my surprise there were 2 guitars that weren't Gibsons :/

sorry for people who own this but im glad i didnt buy it!! felt like crap to play!! sticky neck, no fret access, terrible fret job! ugh ! the stickers on the pickups were coming off and hitting the strings, and it sounded soo muddy and gross!

then i found the hellraiser special, it was much better with the set through neck and those great emgs, but i still couldn't get used to the sticky paint and the frets were still bad and the f# was floppy just like with the omen! no clarity what so ever!

anyway im definalty sticking with agile for my first 8 wich im hoping will be soon. sorry if im bagging on any ones baby, but i really didnt like either guitar.

The muddiness is probably just because it needed a thicker string for the F#. I think they put a .74 on as stock, which is a little thin for those used to an 8, but I guess they don't want to frighten off newbies with a thicker string.

The Omen is their entry level 8, so that doesn't surprise me too much. It has a basswood body, a bolt-on neck, and in-house pickups. Hardly their fault that the stickers were coming off though. Why didn't you just peal them off?

Also, the neck on a Hellraiser is set, not set-thru - there is a subtle difference. As for the EMGs, I guess it depends how much you like EMGs. I have a couple of guitars with them in, and have to say that I've become bored with their 'one size fits all' sound.

Painted necks can be a pain though, My LTD and Gibson SG both have them, and they do get sticky, which can get annoying. I have ordered my blackjack with the walnut finish for just that reason.

notasian

Reaction score
yeah the omen is an entry level so i didnt have high expectations for it haha and i didnt want those guys at gc to yell at me for taking off the stickers!

yeah im so used to my agile pendulum with the matt/satin finish, its soo smooth and slick and it doesnt even matter if im sweaty or not!

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
I have a Hellraiser c8, even I love it for being my first ERG, I must admit that it lacks some of MUST specs of a ERG.... First of all, the 8th string..... Sweet jebus, what were they thinking and EMGs!!!! They would put on there at least 808x... And the fret issue, my high e always got under the 21th or 14th fret... It sounds nice clean and the highs sound awesome, but the low 8 just do not work very well:noplease:

notasian

Reaction score
why does everyone hate actives for 8s? i have my 6 tuned to low f# and my chephues actives sound wonderful! super tight even on the neck pickup! really! haha anyway i just like how the actives have a higher output but still dont make my clean sound like crud.

im going to make a "complain about your ergs mega thread!" hhahahaha jk

edkaye

Reaction score
why does everyone hate actives for 8s? i have my 6 tuned to low f# and my chephues actives sound wonderful! super tight even on the neck pickup! really! haha anyway i just like how the actives have a higher output but still dont make my clean sound like crud.

im going to make a "complain about your ergs mega thread!" hhahahaha jk

Wow, what string gauge are you using to get your 6 so low?

notasian

Reaction score
earnie ball baritone 13-72 on 25.5-27 inch scale !! ;p awsome strings, but i just today put on the elixir baritones wich are 68 that i have in drop G#

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
I'm surprised that there was more than one guitar that has more than 6 strings, but that is still SO Guitar Center to have only crappy 8's.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
And IMO GC guitars are set up like shit! They're all set up like violins (extra high action) and a lot are drop tuned with 10s and bad intonation...

e.g. I've played 5 or 6 EBMM Petruccis and I've hated every single one, but I'm hoping to try one through a real amp (not a cheap Marshall) and properly set up. There's no way I should be hating that guitar!

Reaction score

Which store, Beaverton or Clackamas?

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
160.jpg

notasian

Reaction score
Which store, Beaverton or Clackamas?

Clackamas!

and i played on a used schecter blackjack atx and i loved it, but dat agile pendulum 8 mmmm :p
i love the walnut finish!!!! that blackjack atx is my second choice! looks soooo good and the finish doesnt feel like maple syrup on stuck to your hands!

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
most floor model guitars(and amps) at GC have been beat to crap by the kiddies, so it's rare to find much of anything that sounds as good as it really should...

pattonfreak1

Bored Member
Reaction score
FWIW I own an Omen 8 and for my first 8 string I think it plays great... Of course I have mine tuned up a half step to combat the low F floppiness... And I got it from DCGL sow it had a proper set up. The pup's aren't terrible but they aren't stellar either. Overall I'm happy with it. And for the record: the only guitar I've EVER played at GC that made me think "I must own this" was a white Jem... That was on the top rack. So it prolly wasn't played that much seeing as you hafta be 6 ft 5 to reach it... Which I am.

')