Please give me some critics on my post-rock mix!

• Thread starter ElNitro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElNitro

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i am currently recording the first "full" song since a very long time and a lot of stuff changed in the meantime.

The track itself is not fully tracked yet but i would really like to get some general critics about the mix and the used guitar tones as i am currently unsure if i should stop the track and start over with a new idea or if it's worth to finish it.

Thanks in advance

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-koep/wip-transference-test-mix[/SC]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oxidation_Shed

Nightman.
Reaction score
The cymbals are pumping like crazy when the snare gets hit. Check the compression on either your mix bus or your overhead channels. If it's the overhead channel then try and back off the compression a little bit (higher threshold, slower release, play with the attack based on when you want it to sound like). If it's the drum bus then you need to bring down your snare in volume and back off the compressor.

A roomier sound with the drums would probably fit the mix a little better as well. Try sending the snare to a nice medium room sample and compressing the shit out of it. If you use a very fast attack and very fast release with a decent ratio. What will happen to the sound will be that the initial hit of the snare will sound quite dry and defined but then the compressor on the reverb will back off, allowing the reverb sound to ring out and give the snare a bit more body and length.

Try that approach with a few different samples on various drums (the toms and snare will take long and medium reverbs very well, whilst the kick prefers tighter and shorter room sounds with more punch).

ElNitro

Reaction score
Thanks for your tips, sir! I appreciate your effort.

I'll try to implement your suggestions tonight!

')