Please Help Guys!!! Re-Doing Finish!

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
Alright Bros and Gros

I have a Carvin DC727. I will post the picture up later. It is natural finish on the neck but the head stock and body is plain black, glossy finish. I really want a complete naturual finish though. So I have an Ibanez SZ520M that I am going to attempt to do first. The guitar is the blue edition of those models.

So here is the deal, I need help on how to do this. My friend has a professional wood shop and etc, so I want to know to do this but do it correctly with the highest quality possible. Because like all of us I love my guitars. Thank you so much guys. Any Ideas also I would accept greatly!

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp188/iowa870621345/IMG_8886-1.jpg

IMG_8886-1.jpg

^^^^^^^^
That is the Finish I want (Not in relation to the wood just talking about the finish as in the gloss that was used or stain or oil.)

The main questions I have though are:

Basically how do I do this.. haha. No really.

Should I sand down to wood or use Paint thinner/ remover?

If using Paint Remover which brand would be best and will it affect the glue of the woods?

What do I do for the finish? Like Just.. Guys I'm so Lost :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: I really cant ask questions. I'm not asking for a huge response either just like... for example sand it use this and that then apply this and that and then this Done. The wood guy should know what I'm asking for and to be done. Thanks so much guys, sorry if it seems like I'm asking for a lot... He asked me to tell him Saturday. And I want my guitar done the best way possible and I'm scarred I will mess it up since I am new to this. I am also scarred that if I just research and figure it out and do it myself that I will do something wrong and Miss a lot of pro tips that someone who actually knows how to do this could recommend to me. Thank you so much Guys!! Also I will post upp process pictures once it is started.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, does your guitar have a top or a veneer under the paint? Thats how that finish was created. There other guys here with tons more experience than me, but I would stay away from chemical strippers, they are poisonous and make a hell of a mess. The old school method of sandpaper is what I typically use. I start with 220 and work my way up. If you are adding a veneer of some sort there are tons of tutorials and advice from the users here and through Google.

Not to be nasty, but no one is going to hold your hand if you haven't done your homework. The search function is your friend. Maybe one of the in house luthiers with elaborate on your questions.

OfArtAndArsenal

Reaction score
So just to clarify what you are wanting to do:
You want to remove the black gloss finish from the body and headstock. Easy enough.
Then you want the body to look like the one in the photo? A little tougher, but still doable.
Starter question: what kind of wood is the body made from, and what kind of wood is the neck made from?

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
@OfArtandArsenal

Correct!

The woods are

Alder Body

Maple Neck

Ebony Fretboard

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
Well, does your guitar have a top or a veneer under the paint? Thats how that finish was created. There other guys here with tons more experience than me, but I would stay away from chemical strippers, they are poisonous and make a hell of a mess. The old school method of sandpaper is what I typically use. I start with 220 and work my way up. If you are adding a veneer of some sort there are tons of tutorials and advice from the users here and through Google.

Not to be nasty, but no one is going to hold your hand if you haven't done your homework. The search function is your friend. Maybe one of the in house luthiers with elaborate on your questions.

Yeah I know what you mean, I just wanted a basic Idea, not asking for someone to hold my hand, im just not sure on where to start with this.

Im pretty sure this guitar has a top not a veener.

Thank you!

quoenusz

Reaction score
i guess you need a flamed maple top to do this kind of finish..
but in order to see, just sand the body and than you can decide what to do with

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
Jesus, if there is a poly finish it would take forever. I'd start with a 100-80 grit and switch over to 220 as soon as you break through the finish.

I did do both of my guitars with 220 to start. Maybe thats why it took so long... :lol:

Thats definately a top not a veneer. I have been playing with the idea myself of refinishing a PRS SE i have. I like the idea of a veneered flame

Good luck on this man, and keep it alive with progress pics

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
i guess you need a flamed maple top to do this kind of finish..
but in order to see, just sand the body and than you can decide what to do with

Yeah, I agree I just wanted that finish as in the gloss or oil used. Hopefully the guitars will come out pleasant though!

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
Jesus, if there is a poly finish it would take forever. I'd start with a 100-80 grit and switch over to 220 as soon as you break through the finish.
Thanks Bros!

Alright so I will start with 80-100 grit and when i brake through use 220! woo Im exited guys!!

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
VRfJgl.jpg
[/IMG]
TEKNll.jpg
[/IMG]
9vU4Dl.jpg
[/IMG]
sF5cwl.jpg
[/IMG]

Wooo!! Alright Guys here are the guitars I will be re doing the finish to! First will be Ibanez SZ520 Alot of dings and etc. I will post pictures of the process the moment I commence. This guitar I feel I will like alot and I might end up putting a satin nitro cellulose lacquer on it! As for the Carvin maybe do a Tung Oil finish, or not, who knows for that one yet!! But Im really exited for this and thanks for the help and support guys!!:yesway: Again if anyone has any ideas feel free to post them. If I like the Idea ill do it!! To be honest I might try something crazy and finish the Ibanez like the PRS Teal blue finish. Like blue on top and naturual wood with satin nitro cellulose lacquer finish on it!! But that is only if i get confident while doing this!

The Carvin is my baby, Im still contemplating on what to do with it since Alot of alder body finishes seem to not satisfy my specific taste. I love really light finishes like on Nollys guitar and etc. The cravin I want to do something really sweet and different though! My deadline to finish everything is December 1st. So lets get this on the road!

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Im pretty sure this guitar has a top not a veener.

I'm wondering- what makes you think this? If it has an opaque gloss finish then it'd not make much sense to put a flamed top on it... Just saying, so you don't get too hung up on this and end up disappointed.

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
I'm wondering- what makes you think this? If it has an opaque gloss finish then it'd not make much sense to put a flamed top on it... Just saying, so you don't get too hung up on this and end up disappointed.
Uhm im not entirely what top it has on it. But what I do is that I'm just doing this because I want a natural finish. So what ever it ends up being I will be satisfied! I just figured I would guess. But None the less Im still very exited to have the guitars with a natural finish!

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, if things go wrong with that SZ, id be happy to buy it :shred:

Still though, looks like a good project!

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
Hey, if things go wrong with that SZ, id be happy to buy it :shred:

Still though, looks like a good project!

You got it man!! Even if they go right I might part with it. Its my least played guitar. I can't seem to connect with it. And thanks for the support!

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
Alright guys!! Sorry for the long delay!! It has almost been a month since I started this!! Hopefully it will come alive again!! Like I said my due date was December 1, and I had a lot of things come up in the last month, wedding, school, work etc etc. But I have now disassembled the Ibanez and putting it in the wood shop tomorrow to start with taking the paint off and then putting the first coat of stain on it!! So i will post pictures up tomorrow of the disassembled Ibanez just so you guys can see visuals in-case you don't want to read this. Thank you for the support you guys gave recently as well!! Also I think i want to do some cool routing on the guitar. The woodman guy specializes in that. So anyways pictures will come soon!!!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Honestly, I think you're better off selling these and buying what you want. You can definitely do it, but if you're looking for quality you've got an uphill battle. The area next to the necks is going to be hardest, and I just don't think it will come out looking like a factory finish.

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
Man thanks for the feedback!! I have pictures of it sanded and I'm going to put them up and you be the judge if its not done right! I'm so stoked for it though. The sanding is completed and I think it looks outstanding!!! I'm in love with it!! I'm so glad I started this project.

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
nE6AA.jpg

Here is the sanded guitar!! It looks amazing!! And I'm my opinion far better than a factory sanded finish! I will post more pictures up soon when I get to the computer, apologies that the pictures have taken me a while to post and for me to reply. I have been managing it all through u phone but when I get home I will post more pictures.

Glyph

Zigems
Reaction score
Oh, Yeah! Also, the lacquer and stain process begins tomorrow! Btw this was three days of sanding. On and off,
But definitely one full days work of sanding. I will give credit where credo is due as well. This would have not been possible without my friend holding the guitar there. His name is Segundo (stands for second in Spanish) and he is a professional woodsman, or how ever you call them. He specializes in custom furniture and finishes and routing. So I knew this would be cake for him! The background story is that he is a family friend thy makes furniture for us. He agreed to help me with this project because he wants to support my love for music and guitar and my appreciation of his work! Also I fixed his sons guitar.

')