Please tell me someone on here has heard about "OCCUPY WALLSTREET"

• Thread starter Fabrizi0
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I graduated from College twice. On the Dean's and President's honour roll the first time.

I teach guitar and drive a school bus. And am making a better living than the majority (not all though) of my graduating class.

Between the two jobs I work over 40 hours a week. I start work in the morning (6:00) and finish at nights (9:00...there is obviously some breaks in there). I work my ass off, doing a fairly dangerous job (have you seen the way Honda drivers drive!!!) and I got the education and I don't have any sort of criminal record. I started working 2 months after my 16th birthday (have to be 16 to work in Ontario) and did well at them.

I did exactly what you were supposed to do.

And I still make less than $20 000 a year. Don't feed us that America dream bullshit.

It's actually funny that I managed to climb the ladder more at McDonald while I was in high school than I ever have since graduating from College.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

murakami

Banned
Reaction score
I graduated from College twice. On the Dean's and President's honour roll the first time.

I teach guitar and drive a school bus. And am making a better living than the majority (not all though) of my graduating class.

Between the two jobs I work over 40 hours a week. I start work in the morning (6:00) and finish at nights (9:00...there is obviously some breaks in there). I work my ass off, doing a fairly dangerous job (have you seen the way Honda drivers drive!!!) and I got the education and I don't have any sort of criminal record. I started working 2 months after my 16th birthday (have to be 16 to work in Ontario) and did well at them.

I did exactly what you were supposed to do.

And I still make less than $20 000 a year. Don't feed us that America dream bullshit.

It's actually funny that I managed to climb the ladder more at McDonald while I was in high school than I ever have since graduating from College.

i think the american dream can only be met through connections like how the chinese let their friends and family in on corrupted money etc... i assume it's no different in western culture just possibly hightened or lowered to a degree in different cultures.

you and i know that canada is a mess haha :) ~ you and i can keep working at it, but the government will always try to tax are ass' off.:noplease:
if you have a drivers license to drive a bus, is that a level 8? are you able to drive a rig? good money in that my friend :agreed: ~ though lonely travels i assume.

is your job related to the school board or have they seperated? i've heard that the public servants get paid quite well, yet the teachers in vancouver seem to go on strike every year... i see teachers driving freakin' corvettes and mustangs! also, because you live in ontario, i thought the cost of living would be less because of the high population.

how did you feel about the hst raise in tax???

murakami

Banned
Reaction score

:rolleyes:
Uploaded by TheMigalito on Oct 16, 2011

Occupy Yourself Movement
Oct 28th 2011

PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH AS MANY AS POSSIBLE...WE DO NOT HAVE MUCH TIME!

A momentum is occurring
People are uniting across the world
They are sending a message
The next step is fast approaching

On Oct 28th 2011
WE SHUT THE SYSTEM DOWN.

For one day we peacefully protest in a symbol that will be felt across the globe.

We step out of the system and step back into ourselves.

Turn off all lights
Unplug all electrical devices
Abstain from using TV, radio and internet or phone.
Abstain from making any purchase of any kind
Choose that morning to cancel any services you feel you no longer need
That morning call in sick to work

Do NOTHING that generates money into THE SYSTEM.

We will send a message
We will unite

Most importantly, for one day...
We live without distraction
Read a book
Meditate
Play
Sing
Dance
Create
Frolic in nature
Love

On Oct 28th 2011
Step out of the system and get back to yourself

Spread the word!
SHUT IT ALL DOWN!

Join us on facebook:
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More...

fuckthatshit.png

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Don't feed us that America dream bullshit.

What bullshit is that? That people should be able to work hard and achieve their dreams? There's nothing wrong with that, there's something wrong with the fact that it doesn't work anymore. Your story doesn't prove that people shouldn't go to college to get the job they want, it just demonstrates that for whatever reason that's no longer a viable option. The problem isn't the American Dream, the problem is whatever's causing it to be ineffective.

The Munk

Reaction score
Speaking of insurance, my girlfriend has both insurance through her employer's plan (which she pays handsomely for) and through her father's plan (which he pays handsomely for). Had a small episode and had to go to the ER for two hours. They ran an IV and took some X-rays. AFTER what her insurance took care of, that visit cost her $2,600. What the actual fuck?!

The overall issue here is the increased cost of living being artificially high, as costs have skyrocketed in direct correlation with profit margins/CEO pay skyrocketing. It's hard as fuck to make a living now, it doesn't need to be and the only people who claim we're "all complaining" are the people either too young or stupid or rich to remember what it used to be like.

Anybody here old enough to remember when having a spouse work or a second income was optional? Anybody remember when getting laid off or having a catastrophe (ie. death in the family, car breaks down, roof needs to be repaired, etc.) just meant you had to tighten your belts for a little while or put in a few extra hours instead of meaning you WILL lose your house or you WILL lose your car because YOU WILL NOT be able to make your payment?

To the the post above mine... it's all over the place, yeah but that's the point. It's hard to exactly diagnose WHEN the "change" happened, but the Occupy Movement and (at the grassroots level) the Tea Party thing are a symptom of everyone simultaneously scratching their head and saying "Wait a minute... I don't remember things being this hard before" but the cause and the solution have become so convoluted, we don't quite know what we're supposed to do or who's directly to blame.

I completely agree. Inflation has been completely out of control for a long time.
I still remember sitting in long lines of cars waiting to get gas in the 70's, back when fuel was under a buck!
I noted the other day at the grocery store that an avocado was 99centts!
99 cents for a piece of fruit?
My neighbor has a tree full of them and used to have a layer of rotting ones on the ground. I don't buy avocados any more. I've arranged with my neighbor to trim her tree for her when needed, ( she's elderly) and I can take all the avocados I want.
Nothing is free.

Then there are lopsided situations out of our control. For example, I have a child from a previous marriage. I am required by the court to provide medical/ dental insurance for my child. My child's mother has insurance of her own and has never once used the insurance I pay for. It's money that is 'thrown out the window', so to speak, that could be going towards my household and be of more benefit to my child. Hell, it could be going into a college fund. As it stands, I will have 'thrown away' about $35k by the time my kid turns 18, because the courts say I have to provide it regardless of it not being necessary.
Multiply that by how many fathers are tied up in the Family court system in my similar situation. The only ones making out on that deal are the insurance companies.
Further it amazes me that these laws are built on percentages. The more you make, the more they take. Generally 50% of your gross income. You pay income tax on the gross amount plus other deductions. The receiving parent gets that lump sum tax free. wtf!?
I literally saw a guy in court get reemed for 10K per month in child support. That mom gets the 'Golden Diaper' award and a free ride for 18 years!
Top that off with the fact that the financial end of things, i.e. Support, are completely unrelated to Visitation with the child. Separate subject. Separate court dates. Twice as many court dates as should be needed.
I'm aware that many states have adopted California's child support laws.

Seems like one place to start as far as actually identifying one system of injustice.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I think the American dream can only be met through connections like how the Chinese let their friends and family in on corrupted money etc... i assume it's no different in western culture just possibly heightened or lowered to a degree in different cultures.

you and i know that Canada is a mess, haha :) ~ you and i can keep working at it, but the government will always try to tax our asses' off.:noplease:
if you have a drivers license to drive a bus, is that a level 8? are you able to drive a rig? good money in that my friend :agreed: ~ though lonely travels i assume.

is your job related to the school board or have they seperated? i've heard that the public servants get paid quite well, yet the teachers in vancouver seem to go on strike every year... i see teachers driving freakin' corvettes and mustangs! also, because you live in ontario, i thought the cost of living would be less because of the high population.

how did you feel about the hst raise in tax???

It's who you know, not what you know. Definitely. I think a lot of the problem is also people want minimum 5 years experience to do any job. Do I really need 5 years experience to be a brick layer? Also, if you don't hire new people know when all the older people with experience quit, retire or die you're going to be pretty fucked. But no company wants to spend the time getting an employee up to par anymore.

The Graduated system in Ontario is different (similar) than Vancouver. I'm only licensed for bus up to 24 people, which Qualifies as an 'E' class license. I can drive any bus up to 24 seats, and stuff like limos and ambulances (I think...that might be 'D' I'm too lazy to check). I hope to upgrade to a 'B' (72+ seat buses and anything that's not a tractor trailer or motorcycle) Class this summer or the next, than get my 'Z' (air brake endorsement) and drive for the public buses. Whom make just under $30/hour. But that'll take at least 5 years if I'm lucky. I'd also like to tack an M on there at some point. So Eventually the plan is to have a BMZ license. I had 2 uncles who were truckers. I have no interest in that life! It is a lot of money if you do it right though.

I one of those crazy pro-tax people. Did you know you can track how well the economy is doing by how well the richest 20% are being taxed? The more they're being taxed the better the economy does. Not an opinion. You can chart and graph it. Sad that society hates taxes. Taxes are good. Government misspending is bad. I like services. I like being able to go to the Doctor, and I can remember when schools provided journals and textbooks and shit. I remember field trips. I remember OHIP covering some glasses and Dentistry stuff.

My job is with Stock Transportation. Who gets contracts from Student Transportation Services, which is a government run organisation, I believe. We get paid jack shit. The fucking "construction" "worker" holding the fucking stop sign up all day makes more than we do. Bullocks. No respect for the bus driver. We should unionise and strike.

I am quite tired of seeing teacher strike though. You work 192-8 days a year. Collect 4ish grand a month in pay (after taxes) at the top of the pay scale, get great benefits, great pension, every holiday off, and apparently aren't even expected to actually teach kids anything anymore. Fuck off already.

Cost of living in Ontario is much less than BC but $20 grand a year still isn't much. Plus, I had...issues...with an ex...that have left me more in debt than I would like to be, so I'm working extra hard to pay that shit off.

What bullshit is that? That people should be able to work hard and achieve their dreams? There's nothing wrong with that, there's something wrong with the fact that it doesn't work anymore. Your story doesn't prove that people shouldn't go to college to get the job they want, it just demonstrates that for whatever reason that's no longer a viable option. The problem isn't the American Dream, the problem is whatever's causing it to be ineffective.

Semantics much? The bullshit is just what you said. The American dream doesn't come true. Even if you do everything perfectly.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Semantics much? The bullshit is just what you said. The American dream doesn't come true. Even if you do everything perfectly.

All I was saying is that it isn't the American Dream that's bullshit, it's the obstacles currently in place the limit its effectiveness. I suppose that could be arguing semantics, but sometimes semantics need clarification.

I'll also admit that seeing non-Americans throw around stuff like "American dream bullshit" just automatically puts me on the defensive :lol:.

decypher

Reaction score
Considering the US economy right now, I'd say there is no such thing as the "American Dream".

(considering their past politics, it wasn't a dream either)

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? A few rotten apples, and the whole thing is anti-semitic? Yeah, my black ass is out there pounding the streets, getting pissed about Jews "running the world." :rofl:

Nazis and Communists Throw Their Support Behind Occupy Wall Street Movements (Updated) | The Gateway Pundit

Organizer Behind “Occupy Wall Street” Has History of Anti-Jewish Writing « Commentary Magazine

:coffee:

As far as the bailouts, that's only one aspect. Nobody seems to understand what this "economic injustice" thing means. Everyone from the CEOs to the banks to our politicians are fucked up. They're essentially the same people now, anyways, right? Instead of coming from the military, our national leaders are coming from the corporate world now. I guess you can see where that lack of discipline's taken us?

this is all very good and general. now can you pinpoint a very specific injustice? some component of the machine to rage against? simply saying "they're all corrupt" doesn't say much. where's the thesis? where's the body of evidence? where's the citations? when you treat something like a term paper you can judge its merit.

And honestly, if you think you this is some ploy by Obama, you are too misinformed to really be taken seriously. I like the guy, but he's still part of the problem.

NBC's Gregory: Occupy Wall Street Will 'Dovetail Nicely' With Obama's Campaign Message | NewsBusters.org

couldn't get the video to embed, article is not important. Basically its suspicious when the AFLCIO has thrown its shoulder behind the movement (huge Obama contributor) as well as other large DNC donors (George Soros).

coupled with this:Democrats Tap Into Occupy Wall Street Protests, Attack Republicans For Bank Ties - Business Insider

organic or not, its now officially been co-opted

All people like you do is look for ways to cheapen this movement.

Occupy Wall Street Protester Wants College Paid For Because That's What He Wants - YouTube
^ that guy cheapened it for you.

Calling our generation spoiled, when we want to fix a system we didn't break?

Study finds college students most narcissistic generation - News - Daily Nebraskan - University of Nebraska - Lincoln : News, Husker Sports, Opinion, and Video

not spoiled for protesting by any means, simply spoiled. 50 some years ago if you had a problem you tightened you belt and dealt with it. some protestors have said that corporations dont pay them enough... well its hard to make 60k right out school, you kinda of have to earn it. something this generation has never truly had to do; earn something.

Telling us we were stupid for listening to those in control tell us what we would need, and trusting them? You're not mad because you weren't raised to "chase your dreams" only to find out that you'd need six years of school and you'll never reach them.

Did you miss the link to WSJ poll that revealed that over 3/4ths of the protesters have jobs. so what are they protesting again? they have been shown to be employed. we have 70% of the movement saying "educated and out of work" yet the majority are educated and have work (granted they seem to have the best job in the world allowing them to take a month off). does this at all smell fishy to you?

Is it our fault, or is the culture that raised us? Have some balls, man. Yes, we're not the greatest generation, but I didn't see the young adults in the 80s (our parents) doing this.

Reagan economy. Look up the GDP, it was pretty decent

I'm going to infer from your last sentence that you have absolutely no experience in any very specialized field, or the job market in general.

you also have seem to have missed my edit, which was a disregard to my last sentence. oddly enough the WSJ link was there... so may i infer from your last sentence that you neglected to pay attention?

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
How is co-opting proof of anti-semitism? Secondly, bogeyman communism, red scare OOOOOoooo

Reagan economy. Look up the GDP, it was pretty decent
please tell me you are not advocating trickle down economics, a theory that could be debunked by anyone with access to wikipedia

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
If I wasn't already writing three midterms, Ibanezsam4, I'd take you up on your offer. I already posted what the requirements to find proof of corruption in the 1%: Open your preferred web browser, and search for corporate scandals.

I'm not going to respond to your most recent post, because I feel like I've said all that can be said in regards to the issues involved in it.

And to TheMoff Grander than All Moffs, Tim- I wasn't clear enough. What I meant to convey about the American Dream is that it doesn't work anymore, and people like me are only now developing first-hand knowledge of that fact.

I've worked hard. I was a shaver in an exotic animal hide tannery in Houston. I was paid by each piece I did in a day, aka piecework. I made good money, but I felt I was wasting my potential, and ignoring my talents. I'm not cut out for physical work. I'm clumsy, too curious, and horrible at fixing shit. I stuck it out as long as I could, and then decided to go to college. Chasing the dream, and all that, right? Only to put myself $12K into debt for my first year, as well as being homeless from August to two weeks ago.

So yes, I feel entitled. I feel entitled to the results of my hard work and many, many sacrifices.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
All I was saying is that it isn't the American Dream that's bullshit, it's the obstacles currently in place the limit its effectiveness. I suppose that could be arguing semantics, but sometimes semantics need clarification.

I'll also admit that seeing non-Americans throw around stuff like "American dream bullshit" just automatically puts me on the defensive :lol:.

It seemed to me more like you said, 'It's not bullshit," then went on to list many reasons why it is bullshit!:lol:

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
How is co-opting proof of anti-semitism? Secondly, bogeyman communism, red scare OOOOOoooo

i believe the "co-opting" part you're lifting from my post and attaching to the antisemitism was in fact a row of quote down and had its own links. nice try.

please tell me you are not advocating trickle down economics, a theory that could be debunked by anyone with access to wikipedia

wasn't actually advocating. simply stated that in that time GDP was good, and the middle class started seeing money and growing until the late 90s GDP-Real (Adjusted) United States

wowwww. that sounds exactly like a combo of the Buy Nothing Day and the Digital Detox Week adbusters tried to pull a while ago but failed miserably at on both occasions.

Latest posts

')