Plugging a Shure SM58 mic into the computer for recording vocals?

The Beard

Suttbex
Reaction score
I've been working on making a recording of a rough idea for a song for my band. Me and my vocalist were trying to figure out how to get his Shure SM58 mic plugged into the computer for recording his vocals in good ol' Audacity.

We went out and bought an adapter so we could plug it into the mic port on the front of my computer, we thought everything would just be that simple and that it would work fine, but apparently not :squint: haha

Then we tried plugging it into the pink port on the back of the computer, still nothing.

Here's the things I need to know for sure:
1) Where to plug it in?
2) What do my settings have to be in Audacity?
3) What do my "recording device" settings in the bottom right hand corner of the screen have to be?

Any tips to offer? :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Espaul

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be douche, but the sound will suck bigtime even if you get it working :p

The Beard

Suttbex
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be douche, but the sound will suck bigtime even if you get it working :p
Haha I know, it's just for recording a quick idea :wavey:

And I tried all the input options, none of them have worked :squint:

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
It's not going to work, because you need a preamp. The resistance of the mic, and cable, and all that is too much to get a signal through to your soundcard, with it's wimpy little, line level input.

Get a Line 6 tone port or something.

Reaction score
It's not going to work, because you need a preamp. The resistance of the mic, and cable, and all that is too much to get a signal through to your soundcard, with it's wimpy little, line level input.

Get a Line 6 tone port or something.

I recorded this without a preamp, like OP wants to:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1926148/TOA/THRONE OF ATHENA - INFECTION.mp3

While it's far from perfect (my first time tracking vocals) it works. In fact, the guitar, bass and vocals on that track are all DI'd into the red mic socket with an adapter.

Reaction score
YMMV with different sound cards.*

I'm just using the onboard card that came with a stripped down, business edition HP Vista machine.

Dude should be fine.

The Beard

Suttbex
Reaction score

manana

Reaction score
I recorded this without a preamp, like OP wants to:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1926148/TOA/THRONE OF ATHENA - INFECTION.mp3

While it's far from perfect (my first time tracking vocals) it works. In fact, the guitar, bass and vocals on that track are all DI'd into the red mic socket with an adapter.

what did you use to do it? I plug in my sm58 with Xlr to 1/4 into my pod and odnly with a giant gain and distortion boost can I get any signal but if I tap it on anything even without gain I can hear it. What gives?

Espaul

Reaction score
The big clue here is:

In fact, the guitar, bass and vocals on that track are all DI'd into the red mic socket with an adapter.

This will be a sort of preamp. The signal is louder than just from a mic alone straight into the soundcard.

Reaction score
The big clue here is:

This will be a sort of preamp. The signal is louder than just from a mic alone straight into the soundcard.

What, this?

JACK25-35.jpg

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
plug the mic into the same input you plugged your guitar signal into the computer with.

It WILL work just straight up pluggin in the mic with out a preamp, but it will sound like ass.

I'd also suggest to look in your audio settings and make sure the right line in setting is chosen. My computer has more than one mic and line input, and you have to make sure the right one is the default device

')