POD HD Advice

• Thread starter evilmnky204
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

evilmnky204

Reaction score
hey guys, just to put this in order, this isn't a 'should I get a pod hd vs. some other interface' thread, so no need to worry.

now that that's out of the way i'm thinking of purchasing the pod hd 300 this christmas, and i just want to make sure i'm making the right choice with this. i don't really need the extra features of the other models (i think?), so the 300 is what i settled on. i quite like the tones from what i heard so far, and i can always tweak them if i don't. the thing is, i'm not too sure if i'm making the right decision with the pod, or if i should just save the money. what i'm looking for is something easy to plug into my macbook pro (i noticed it has the usb connectivity, should make it easy right?) and just mainly play from there, and record smalltime with reaper.

so basically, a tl;dr version:
1. is the pod hd 300 a good idea to get to just play around on?
2. does it sound good at low-ish volumes (i'm in a dorm at college)
3. will it sound good if i plug it in via usb and have it play through my macbook speakers (the harmon kardon soundsticks II)?
4. is it easy enough to record direct-in with a program like reaper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys, just to put this in order, this isn't a 'should I get a pod hd vs. some other interface' thread, so no need to worry.

now that that's out of the way i'm thinking of purchasing the pod hd 300 this christmas, and i just want to make sure i'm making the right choice with this. i don't really need the extra features of the other models (i think?), so the 300 is what i settled on. i quite like the tones from what i heard so far, and i can always tweak them if i don't. the thing is, i'm not too sure if i'm making the right decision with the pod, or if i should just save the money. what i'm looking for is something easy to plug into my macbook pro (i noticed it has the usb connectivity, should make it easy right?) and just mainly play from there, and record smalltime with reaper.

so basically, a tl;dr version:
1. is the pod hd 300 a good idea to get to just play around on?
2. does it sound good at low-ish volumes (i'm in a dorm at college)
3. will it sound good if i plug it in via usb and have it play through my macbook speakers (the harmon kardon soundsticks II)?
4. is it easy enough to record direct-in with a program like reaper?

you will regret not getting the 500

and yes to all your questions :p

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
check the pod HD thread, the last page had bullet points I have made as to why I've spent the extra money. The FX placement is the huge dealbreaker from me. HD300 only has FX1, FX2 and FX3 placement slots, with only specific effects for each slot.

For exmple, overdrive and pitch shifter/whammy functions are on the FX1 slot. I cannot figure out how on earth I'd run an overdrive pedal and whammy at the same time. Seeing as I use a boost pedal with every setup I have, this is a huge negative for me. The HD500 can have up to EIGHT effects running at once, in any order, all with it's own on/off button on the pod itself. This ia HUGE selling point for me (I'm running the pod as a multi effects pedal before my amp)

evilmnky204

Reaction score
the only problem is i don't know if i can spring for the $500, does the hd 400 model have the same problem?

evilmnky204

Reaction score
also, i just realized this, when i'm tweaking a patch or whatnot, can't i add the boost pedal in the digital chain with podfarm? my friend has an older pod, and that's what i remember doing to tighten it up. i'm not really going to use this to play live, only to record, and play by myself on, so that's why i figure a cheaper model would be easier, cause i can always just edit on podfarm on the computer, i'm playing through the computer speakers anyways.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
pretty sure HD400 has the same problem.

No idea about Podfarm sorry, I havent used a POD for recording in a long, long time (had the PODXT when it was brand new) and I've been using a Vetta quite recently, for band/live stuff.

If I were you (and I was you hehe) I'd save a little extra for the HD500. When you take into account gate, OD, delay, reberb, EQ, volume pedal, whammy etc having just three options (and limited ones at that) would just be a pain.

Plus DUAL AMP settings. The vetta sounds HUGE when running two amps, I'm guessing the HD500 would sound just a big. Plus the possibilities with EQ when running two of the same head are endless.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
I recently made thread about the HD300, and the points brought up there and in the HD thread have made it apparent to me that the HD300 is a complete waste of money in comparison to the HD500. Scan over the first page of the gear subforum for more information.

')