POD HD, Trilian, SD2:Allaire

• Thread starter FOAM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FOAM

Reaction score
Messing around with a new set-up. The song still has a couple of minutes to be added and is WIP.

Bass and volume might be a bit too heavy on the toms, but don't let it kill you. (Won't happen again!)

POD HD Bean (first recording I've done with one)
Trilian (with Ampeg plug-in and SansAmp)
Superior Drummer 2: SL-Allaire + x-drums from SL-Avatar and Metal Foundry

They Came Out Of Nowhere (Draft) by Dialyctic on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I'm looking for some feedback on the sounds and mix. Toms are obviously too loud (too lazy to re-bounce), maybe the kick is too loud as well? I like loud punchy kicks though. Could the guitars be louder? I've mislead myself using my speakers for too long then listening through my headset... Need some fresh ears to hear this. :)

I'll gladly comment back if you've got stuff that needs listening!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota

Reaction score
Sounds kinda like Blotted Science a little! I think it sounds good, maybe I'd make the snare cut through a little more, find the most resonant mid-range frequency and give it a wide Q and boost it a bit and then compensate with something around maybe...10k? Let your ears be the best judge.

Plus, I like the kick. Maybe boost the mids of the guitar a little, but otherwise, it sounds great dude!

FOAM

Reaction score
Thank you!

I'd make the snare cut through a little more, find the most resonant mid-range frequency and give it a wide Q and boost it a bit and then compensate with something around maybe...10k? Let your ears be the best judge.

You said it! I agree, thanks.

Maybe boost the mids of the guitar a little, but otherwise, it sounds great dude!

~1k? Too harsh and thinny in my headset. I'm happy with the middle ground I've found around 1k. Could try bumping up low and high mids with a wide Q though.

HollowmanPL

Reaction score
nice one!
try to improve snare sound and mess around a little bit with velocities!
Overall - great job

FOAM

Reaction score
nice one!
try to improve snare sound and mess around a little bit with velocities!
Overall - great job

Me being lazy again, hahaha. :D

Thanks all!

Thinking I might swap out the HiHat as I think it's too high pitched and bright. Maybe even roll of some tops on the overheads to make it less splashy. I'll try messing around with some different toms from Metal Foundry as well. These ones are from Allaire, not sure if I like all the thump, and the mids were hard to work with. Needs more rawness to it...

Dakota

Reaction score
~1k? Too harsh and thinny in my headset. I'm happy with the middle ground I've found around 1k. Could try bumping up low and high mids with a wide Q though.

Glad to help man! Also, try using at least 2-3 reference points for your mixes/tones, get some ipod headphones just for the sake of hearing it on something different, etc. Our human ears lose themselves in an auditory hamster wheel of sorts without a reference point to put things into perspective. You'll hear things differently for sure. Maybe listen to L'enfant Savauge and savor dat mix/tone. Just listening to it a few times has helped my mixes immensely!

FOAM

Reaction score
Glad to help man! Also, try using at least 2-3 reference points for your mixes/tones, get some ipod headphones just for the sake of hearing it on something different, etc. Our human ears lose themselves in an auditory hamster wheel of sorts without a reference point to put things into perspective. You'll hear things differently for sure. Maybe listen to L'enfant Savauge and savor dat mix/tone. Just listening to it a few times has helped my mixes immensely!

I hear ya. My economy earphones died a few weeks ago... :(
And I'll try that, even though I'm not that into Gojira. Thank you, sir!

WeBowInItsAura

Paranormal Entity
Reaction score
I'm curious about how you are using Trillian with the Ampeg Plugin. Would you mind going into more detail about that? Are you just routing the output from Trillian to the Ampeg Amp Sim? And are you using any impulse responses for the bass?

FOAM

Reaction score
When I had my bass midi done, I bussed it to a new audio track recording everything so that I could deactivate trilian (saving cpu). Then I just slapped the Ampeg SVX on the new audio track. Gave it much more life! Also added a SansAmp on the end for a more controlled low end and distortion. Minor EQ'ing at the end. :)

No impulse responses, just Ampeg SVX (I think it's just a pre-amp emulator with no cabinets, I'm not sure though).

Sorry for the late response!

Latest posts

')