Pod HD users - got any tone tips for 8 strings?

• Thread starter halogen8
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

halogen8

Reaction score
Ever since I got my ESP Ltd H308 I've been having a lot of trouble getting my tone dialed in on my Pod HD 500. Before getting this ERG I used the tread plate amp with my passive pickup six strings and all was good. My down tuned sixes sound killer through my old presets, but my 8 string with its EMG 808s sounds a little muffled and I'm having a tough time getting a good crunch along with clean and clear leads.

I'm not trying to copy any particular guitarist's style or sound but do like AAS and Meshuggah's tones. Overall I could use some general tips on how to get the best sound out my Pod HD 500 and my EMG loaded ESP LTD H308.

I'm running it direct into my MacBook Pro and using Sony MDR-V700 headphones for monitoring.

Any help is appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
You might have to boost a little bit to get those lower strings shining through. Also, be sure to make sure that you're very careful with the bass, and as always, EQ's do WONDERS with tone.

I've yet to really dial in a tone on my HD bean, but I'll comment back on here when I do.

rekab

Reaction score
I've got a couple tones that I've started to dial in for the 808s in my c8. I'll try to save and share them soon. They aren't pro quality but should be decent stepping stones for building the tone in your head.

halogen8

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I messed around with cutting the bass freq out via EQ and that was a success. I'm a lot closer for sure.

What are you using to boost, an over drive?

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
I've always gone with the Compressor->gate->Screamer->gate setup for the front part of my chain, just like i would for an analog setup. It's tricky to get down the right settings, but its way worth it in the end. I use the last 4 blocks for EQ'ing the tone, whereas I use the first 4 blocks to get the feel and drive of the tone, essentially.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3782113/junk dual Bari.h5e try this. It's my main rhythm tone for lower tunings (beyond low F)

you'll have to tweak it like this:
set the input impendance all the way up in the system settings on the pod.

I have the "pad" button switched on, so the input signal isn't clipping. Then i use the tube compressor unit (without compression) to turn up the singal to where i like it. If you don't have the pad on, either turn off or adjust the volume on that compressor.

The Q-filter unit is what i use to get clarity and snappiness in my tone. adjust the mix and frequency knobs to taste (no clue how your pickups are).

Also, i don't use the on-board cab modelling, as i run it into impulses in my DAW. Do what you want with the cab sounds, i guess.

halogen8

Reaction score
I've always gone with the Compressor->gate->Screamer->gate setup for the front part of my chain, just like i would for an analog setup. It's tricky to get down the right settings, but its way worth it in the end. I use the last 4 blocks for EQ'ing the tone, whereas I use the first 4 blocks to get the feel and drive of the tone, essentially.

Thanks for the suggestions - I've always put a noise gate in front of everything else, I'll try putting messing with the signal change and see what happens.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3782113/junk dual Bari.h5e try this. It's my main rhythm tone for lower tunings (beyond low F)

you'll have to tweak it like this:
set the input impendance all the way up in the system settings on the pod.

I have the "pad" button switched on, so the input signal isn't clipping. Then i use the tube compressor unit (without compression) to turn up the singal to where i like it. If you don't have the pad on, either turn off or adjust the volume on that compressor.

The Q-filter unit is what i use to get clarity and snappiness in my tone. adjust the mix and frequency knobs to taste (no clue how your pickups are).

Also, i don't use the on-board cab modelling, as i run it into impulses in my DAW. Do what you want with the cab sounds, i guess.

Pad switch def helped me boost the sound level and is greatly helping my overall mix. I totally forgot that the switch was there to help with active pickups.

Thanks for the patch I'll give a try and see how I like it.

Overall the advice all of you have given me has definitely helped a lot. I'm getting a much better tone and overall sound - it's helping me greatly. I've almost got it to where I want it and I can finally go back to actually writing again instead of dicking around with my settings.

Thank you.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Just a note: the patch was made with the pad on the "lowered" setting, so the signal turned down. So i use more compensation for the lower gain as a result. If you have it on the "normal" setting, you'll have too much gain on the patch. Simple to fix though, just adjust it in the patch :)

edit: when using a compressor and noise gate, i like to use two gates. One first in the signal chain, that just cleans up the signal when i'm not playing, and my fingers are on the strings. I also give it a bit more decay, like 10-12, so it's smooth and even. Basically, when you have distortion on, dampen the strings with your fingers, and adjust the threshold until you have no hiss. Then i apply the compressor, and then the second gate that does the actual tightening up.

TheOrangeChannel

JonOrBattleship
Reaction score
I'm down with lower gain settings...I'm working thru this myself lately with a 2228A and a Pod HD 500. Let's compare notes soon.

')