POD HD500 and Amp Question

• Thread starter mcdj0nt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been using a POD HD500 for a few months now and am really enjoying all of its possibilities. I am due to play a show in a month however with my new band and still do not have a decent rig. I am interested in running my pod through a power amp into a decent cabinet. My question is should I go with a tube power amp or a solid state power amp? and what cab runs the best with them? I am mainly playing heavy metal live.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroWR

Reaction score
I find the power amp simulation in the POD series to be tubby and quite sterile, I always use the PRE model with an external VST power amp for recording, its a game changer honestly.

With that being said I would go with a tube power amp for a live purpose, I have a solid state and its not bad, just lacking that real amp feel... Just make sure you correctly set the output mode on the POD.

The cab would totally be up to preference/what you can afford honestly.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
If you have a power amp and cab you should always use the pre-only models in my opinion, better sounding and less muddy. Maybe in case of a super transparent power amp I would consider adding a bit of power amp simulation but I really never felt the need for it.

I prefer solid state power amps simply because they are drier and you can add more character with the power amp settings of the pod, but you can't take a tube poweramp and make it drier.