Pod X3 for live use?

• Thread starter Shadow_6667
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow_6667

Reaction score
Generally taking note of what everyone on here is saying, ENGLs are not great for cleans.

After agreeing with gritted teeth, I spent hours on my clean tone through the POD X3. I gathered FellSilent use this technique live themselves, and so I was wondering if I'd have to use an extra solid-state poweramp, and feed it to my cab along side the ENGL?

I know that the easiest thing to do here, would be to plug the POD into the P.A. but as you might apreciate, some venues don't have stage monitoring, and that would be a problem.

Also I found some "Amp switching" pedals on the market, so is that the sort of thing i would use?

Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
:scratch:

If you can turn the loop on and off, you could bypass the engl pre-amp when you switch to cleans.

Of course, that would only work assuming you have no other fx hooked to the loop, or if there's more than one loop in the powerball.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
you could use the pod X3 as an FX unit and clean sound unit. just plug the guitar into the X3, then into the front of the amp. this way you can use the "stomp" models in front of the amp. then, put the X3 in the FX loop as well (it has enough inputs and outputs to do both, and internal routing makes it easy to work out). now you can use it as a post-distortion FX unit, and finally, you can make a clean patch that just changes the routing, and puts the guitar through a nice clean amp model and stuff, and into the "fx return" of the amp. that way, you actually get the clean tone through the amp.

that requires 4 cables: two for guitar-X3-amp, two for FX send-X3-FX return. you could also do the amp switcher thing if you wanted (handy if you don´t have the X3 Live, or don´t have a footboard/switching unit for the X3)

Shadow_6667

Reaction score
Oh sweet. That actually works!

I'm thinking of going one step further, and adding a computer to the pod, that way, I'm sure I could add extra processing to each of the channels.

I also recently got a GE-7 do you think it should go before or after the pod? I basically want to brighten up my engl tone.

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
Stage monitoring shouldn't matter too much, we still have the clean sound with effects goin through the engl aswell, so basically 4 clean signals when both guitars are doin clean bits.

The engl fills out when the pod doesnt and the pod cuts through, works pretty well.

')