POD X3 live for direct recording questions

• Thread starter Internection
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Internection

Reaction score
so im trying to record a project for my friend in reaper, and its recording my preset through the pedal instead of the pre-set that i have uploaded in my Reaper. basically i want to be able to go back and edit the tone in real time through the gearbox VST, instead of having to change the pre-set on the pedal itself and record something a hundred different times to get it right. please help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Internection

Reaction score
in other words i just want the POD to pick up the raw guitar signal so i can edit it later through gearbox through the DAW instead of process it then send it into reaper

Internection

Reaction score
so i recorded in tuner mode but my plugins arn't affecting the sound at all, its just the clean guitar sound. could anyone give me a detailed breakdown on how to do it?

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it works for the X3 but on the XT live if you are using it in USB mode, you can go into control panel and line 6 audio/MIDI devices and click on the inputs and recording tab, you can tell it to "send clean guitar." Don't set it to "reamp playback" though, as that will just put all your patch's effects on your entire audio signal from your computer. in other words, your entire mix will have distortion, whatnot.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it works for the X3 but on the XT live if you are using it in USB mode, you can go into control panel and line 6 audio/MIDI devices and click on the inputs and recording tab, you can tell it to "send clean guitar." Don't set it to "reamp playback" though, as that will just put all your patch's effects on your entire audio signal from your computer. in other words, your entire mix will have distortion, whatnot.

Midi settings on your computer :agreed:

RedChord

Reaction score
Hey guys, did this problem get resolved?

I am new to recording, and have been tweaking my tone and recording in reaper over and over. I can see where this technique would be extremely useful.

In Reaper, under Preferences>Audio Device Settings, I have set first and last tones to tone dry. This records the dry tone, but sends the wet signal to the monitor. However, I don't understand how to send the recorded dry signal back through the Pod x3 in order to process the desired tone in real time. I am not connected via midi, just USB.

Internection

Reaction score
okay so i figured out my issue, it wasnt the POD at all. Found out gearbox doesnt work as a plug in anymore, you have to upgrade to POD Farm.

so for RedChord what you have to do is record it in tuner mode, download POD farm, record your tracks, click the FX button, and select your POD farm and whatever other VST's your gonna use. my only problem now is im seriously hurtin' for RAM. i have 12 tracks right now, and 5 of them right now are running POD farm/ and voxengoo boogex (obviously not done adding FX to the other tracks) and superior for drums, and its skipping hardcore. is there anything else it could be?

MEGA DAVE

Musician/Producer
Reaction score
unless you're running a nice processor with a minimum of 4-6gigs of ram you won't be able to process that many applications of pod farm alongside superior drummer. Your best bet is to get the guitar tones you want and just bounce them as wav's and bring them back into your project and get rid of all those instances of pod farm. I usually mix this way. I'll get my drums sounding the way I want them then multitrack export them out then do the same for guitars, then bass, then vocals.

RedChord

Reaction score
Dude thanks @ Internection. It works like a dream now. You have saved me hours upon hours of re-re-re-re-re-recording shit.

The one thing I don't like about recording this way is that since the recorded signal is much smaller before the effects, the waveform is tiny and harder to distinguish visually. It's a really minor thing, but is there a remedy for it?

')