PODHD500 Hissing

• Thread starter Umber _Metal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had my POD for about a month now and even used it live. I love this thing but the one thing that keeps being a pain in the ass is the hissing as if it was coming from a real amp that's just turned up way to loud. I usually use the Mesa/treadplate model with a noise gate to get rid of the hiss when I'm not playing but it gets rid of a lot of the meat and my pitch harmonics just get destroyed. Is there any other way to fix this? I keep the volume on 50 and the master to 50. Please help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I've had my POD for about a month now and even used it live. I love this thing but the one thing that keeps being a pain in the ass is the hissing as if it was coming from a real amp that's just turned up way to loud. I usually use the Mesa/treadplate model with a noise gate to get rid of the hiss when I'm not playing but it gets rid of a lot of the meat and my pitch harmonics just get destroyed. Is there any other way to fix this? I keep the volume on 50 and the master to 50. Please help!!

have you ever had a 150w Mesa triple rectifier on 50? I've gigged with one on 30%, they are LOUD.

The pods simply emulating the hiss/noise from the amp on those settings. You're correct in using a noise gate.

The master volume of the POD itself isn't connected to any emulation however. Play with the deep editing functionality of the preamp/poweramp screens. You should be able to dial in a good tone with a low preamp and amp master volume. Though this in itself can change your tone. The higher your master volume, the more effective the 'sag' control is (which is vital for creating a tight metal tone with the mesa patch)

Experiment with using two noise gates, before and after the amp slot. Also, experiment with the hard gate, I found that MUCH better than the standard. You can have a hard 'open' and a very soft 'close' ratio, so ensure that it stays silent but doesn't destroy your sustain/chunk.

Reaction score
Experiment with using two noise gates, before and after the amp slot. Also, experiment with the hard gate, I found that MUCH better than the standard. You can have a hard 'open' and a very soft 'close' ratio, so ensure that it stays silent but doesn't destroy your sustain/chunk.

So what would the settings be on a hard open and a soft close? I see the default is 65 open and 72 close. A hard open would be a high number and a soft would be a low number or vise verse?

Labrie

King of the Swing
Reaction score
Easiest fix would be to rage quit and buy an AxeFX.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Potentially. I have both set to about 45-50, often with the close lower than the high.

Though really it's down to personal preference I feel. I actually run two noise gates due to my pathes I had. The 2nd one was 'off' and assigned to the same footswitch that controlled my compressor/delay/reverb.

When I activated FS5, it would turn off my 'rhythm' gate, turn on my 'lead' gate and turn on the lead effects.

Ross McDougall Patch.h5e

Here's my patch if you want it. I'm on FS mode 5-8 and my leads are controlled by FS5. I've also assigned a lot of effect/amp parameters to the expression pedal. This patch does rhythm, lead, post rock delay and dirty clean all in one patch!

Reaction score
I've been messing around with edit for about an hour and I think I got it to where it needs to be to cut off for the air in the break downs and still keep the growl I need. Thanks for the advice I switch all six of my patches to a hard gate instead of the noise gate and it's SO much better now. With that now I'm going to mess around with yours and see if I can pick up anything. Thanks a lot for the help man everything sounds kick ass thanks to you!

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
Another thing to try would be to go into the system settings and change the second input to variax. If you haven't already I would suggest checking out meambobbo's pod hd guide, it's a bit lengthy, but we'll worth it for all the information.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I've been messing around with edit for about an hour and I think I got it to where it needs to be to cut off for the air in the break downs and still keep the growl I need. Thanks for the advice I switch all six of my patches to a hard gate instead of the noise gate and it's SO much better now. With that now I'm going to mess around with yours and see if I can pick up anything. Thanks a lot for the help man everything sounds kick ass thanks to you!

No problem man! few tips with my patch:

Change FS mode to FS 5-8 as I've assigned all my controls to FS5, 6 and 7.

FS5 turns on/off multiple effects at once and is my 'lead'
FS6 controls an additional delay before ethe amp for a post rock vibe
Forgot what FS7 does, in fact I don't think it does anything, lol.

The expresison pedal is cool though, I've assigned multiple parameters to the expression pedal. WHen it's come, you get my stock rhythm tone, but when you put it down it:

- lowers amp gain
- lowers overdrive pedal gain
- increases the mix of a delay pedal from 0% to 30%ish.

This makes the one patch go from balls out heavy, to a really nice dirty-clean with a bit of delay. And the great thing is now you can ease in/out of it with a volume pedal controlled swell, without the harsh trail cut of patch changing. I did it this way so I could roll down into it during our sets instead of a harsh stomp!

Loved my time with the HD500. Great little unit.

')