PODxt: The difference between flash mem 1.05 and 3.01 (POD users alert! - Audio clip)

virstulte

Reaction score
Ok, so I just got my PODxt the other day. For those who don't want the story, just skip the indented bit.

So I'm weedly-deedling around on this dandy POD I got. I make a few recordings, send em to my friend max, and he's surprised at the quality I got out of my pod. Still had that "pod-ness" to it that is pretty much everything Line 6, but still surprisingly good.

My friend asks me if I used the parametric eq on the POD and I was like what? No matter how much I searched through the menus, I could not for the life of me find a parametric EQ. I eventually acquire Monkey.

Amazingly, I'm incredibly out of date, which explains why Line 6 Edit 3.0 won't work with my pod. So I upgrade. All of a sudden I notice some major changes in the interface.

Some of the major differences I noticed was:

- Yay parametric eq
- Boo now the four selector buttons bypass parametric eq, and a couple other things instead of being a one-touch selector to instantly (without turning a knob) switch patches! One of my favorite features tossed out the window.
- Line 6 Edit works! Awesome tool.

but alas, this is what you really came to read: THERE IS A MASSIVE AUDIO CHANGE.

The flash memory update to 2.01 as quoted on Line 6's website included a "dramatic sound improvement." We'll let you judge that for yourself.

I took the time to record the same riff (DT fans might appreciate somewhat, maybe :\) twice using the same patch with my carvin seven :metal:. I didn't modify or change the patch in any way, didn't touch volume, recording level, eq, NOTHING. I have done no post-work on the audio at all.

First half is with new flash memory, v3.01. Second half, with 1.05. The results shocked me more than I realized:

Old vs New Line 6 PODxt flash version 105 vs 301 - Putfile.com

Comments? Personally, I'll be sticking with 1.05.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VforVendetta00

Reaction score
well, if it aint broke dont fix it is how the saying goes. but i personally think the changes are great, just sucks having to redo patches.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I thought 1.05 sounded better ...which sucks. The site warns you that you may have to tweak, BUT if the second half is the original firmware, then yeah I'd say something's amiss.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
yeh the second half (1.05) sounds less fizzy, and less dull to me.

damn, i wish i'd known about this when i had my pod, haha. then again my pod had metal shop on it, and i dont think they had that until version 2 or something.

Latest posts

')