Point of METAL amps over 50/60W?

• Thread starter xeonblade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

4Eyes

Reaction score
Wasn't 100W to 50W changing from pentode to triode? The way you said would mean that 2 power tubes would be turned off.

that's the way how most of the class A/B amps work when they have 100/50W switch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
Played a gig last Saturday night in a Pub with no PA. Our own PA/mixer had only enough inputs to mic the drums and vocals.

My ENGL FB100 filled the room with with ease and it was only a smidge past 3.

Could a 50w amp do the same thing? Possibly. "But frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn". IMO it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Played a gig last Saturday night in a Pub with no PA. Our own PA/mixer had only enough inputs to mic the drums and vocals.

My ENGL FB100 filled the room with with ease and it was only a smidge past 3.

Could a 50w amp do the same thing? Possibly. "But frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn". IMO it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

That's a flawed line of thought, as even a 25 watt amp can deliver the same amount of relative volume without having to be maxed out.

Wattage is about headroom and feel, not volume. In fact, with a proper speaker array you can get more volume out of fewer watts if needed.

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
That's a flawed line of thought, as even a 25 watt amp can deliver the same amount of relative volume without having to be maxed out.

Wattage is about headroom and feel, not volume. In fact, with a proper speaker array you can get more volume out of fewer watts if needed.

Yeah but it made me feel like a big man! :lol:

I would liken it to a V8 muscle car. You can only do the speed limit around town but that feeling of putting your foot down and the roar of the engine just takes your breath away. Sure a turbo 4cyl car can go just as fast but it's just not the same.

Somthing i've not experienced with lower watt amps. But could just be this amp.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah but it made me file like a big man! :lol:

I would liken it to a V8 muscle car. You can only do the speed limit around town but that feeling of putting your foot down and the roar of the engine just takes your breath away.

Somthing i've not experienced with lower watt amps. But could just be this amp.

The Fireball 100 is an awesome amp which is MADE to cut like a knife in a band setting, so I'm not surprised that it performed so well.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Yeah, the newer ENGLs like the Fireball 100 and Powerball II really sound amazing. And this is coming from a die-hard ENGL hater.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, the newer ENGLs like the Fireball 100 and Powerball II really sound amazing. And this is coming from a die-hard ENGL hater.

I never really understood the concept of hating an entire brand. It's like hating a color. :lol:

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I know, it's enormously daft :lol:

That said, it was genuinely just that clinical, boring tone of the first-gen Power- and Fireballs I hated. I did hate that quite a bit though, especially since so many shitty, generic bands in my local scene used them :lol:
I've always really liked the Blackmore, in any case, but the new Fireball 100 and Powerball II really fixed EVERYTHING I thought was wrong with the old ones, and then some!

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
I know, it's enormously daft :lol:

That said, it was genuinely just that clinical, boring tone of the first-gen Power- and Fireballs I hated. I did hate that quite a bit though, especially since so many shitty, generic bands in my local scene used them :lol:
I've always really liked the Blackmore, in any case, but the new Fireball 100 and Powerball II really fixed EVERYTHING I thought was wrong with the old ones, and then some!

My sentiments exactly.

The Rigs:

316978_2462464975450_1666988063_2369414_678488215_n.jpg

:metal:

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
The new Egnaters Armaggedon and Vengeance works at 60W and 120W with a flip of a switch, you should consider those.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^ thats a great article. He does a good job explaining himself on the "Myths" without going overboard and sounding like a devil's advocate.

I especially enjoyed the mention of needing "All-tube" and passing up good amps because of a few SS components (yes, i'm a blackstar owner), but now i'm derailing a bit...

silverthesky

Reaction score
its funny how i stumbled upon it, i was looking at getting some amp heads and was looking up info on attenuators and that came up. Good article indeed and seems to make scene.

NOW im looking for a rack rig something similar to the infamous jmp1 and messa 500

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
I wonder if I can make my savage 60 sound more like the 120 watt version?:scratch:

:idea: Does anyone know if it is possible to switch El34's for 6550's?

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I have several amps and they all have different characteristics when it comes to perceived volume...

I have a Fireball 100W through a Framus Cobra 412 and I can't turn it up past one without vibrating my entire house and the punch is ridiculous. I turned it up to two once and I had to open my music room door because the punch was bothering me ears (when the F did I get old?!).

Yet, I can turn my Vetta II 300W up to 3 and it isn't perceivably as loud, and it lacks the punch.

For lower wattage amps... My 5150 212 60W combo usually has to get up to around 4 to start having any balls whatsoever to it. My Soldano HR50+ 50W hurts my ears at 2, but the Bogner Alchemist 40W isn't in the same ball park at 2. The Soldano 50W is the only one that sounds comparable to the Fireball (volume-wise)...

Maybe companies are using different tapers with their volume pots and that explains the volume differences, but it's still funny to see how different they all are in the same environment and with the rest of the rig held the same.

And several people have already said it, but none of my amps cuts through a mix like the Fireball 100... wow, it made my buddy's Bogner disappear.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
US, as has been said not all 100W amps are actually 100W - it varies.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I think there is some misconception that an attenuator is a magical device that gives you awesome, cranked tones at bedroom volume. That's a myth.

I bought into that misconception!

I got a Rivera Rockcrusher to tame my Deliverance 120 when I'm at home because that sucker is LOUD. After about 10 mins, I packed it up and returned it.

Not only did it suck tone, but it sucked all of the feel/dynamics out of the amp. It accomplished the goal of reducing volume, but it took everything I liked about the amp with it.

xchristopherx

Reaction score
I think there is something to be said for being in a " loud" band. We ran two ampeg svt810 cabs and 4 marshall full stacks on our last tour. All plugged in, and all cranked. Stage left had a pair of splawn heads, and stage right a 6505+ and a vht deliverance. (backup rig had an ubershall and a 5150ii) and the bass player had a landmark 600 and a gk800rb. We could play a knights of Columbus, or a 4000+ cap venue and not worry about if we were heard. Honestly, foh could fuck off. Turn up the vocals, mic the kick, go get a sandwich. I dont need monitors, the drummer is right next to me. When I practice with my drummer now in our space, I turn my 5150 up to like 8. With a 412 and 212

He plays loud. So I play loud. I'm not trying to crap on the points made here, but not everyone plays noodley djent riffs or dream theater solos. I'm into burly grooves. And I like playing super loud music for kids to have a good time to. I don't play bars. I don't play covers. Being in a hardcore band or metal band or whatever... I think offers a different perspective than what I see on here more often then not.

So that's why I own and purchase 100w and up guitar heads.

Reaction score
I think there is something to be said for being in a " loud" band. We ran two ampeg svt810 cabs and 4 marshall full stacks on our last tour. All plugged in, and all cranked. Stage left had a pair of splawn heads, and stage right a 6505+ and a vht deliverance. (backup rig had an ubershall and a 5150ii) and the bass player had a landmark 600 and a gk800rb. We could play a knights of Columbus, or a 4000+ cap venue and not worry about if we were heard. Honestly, foh could fuck off. Turn up the vocals, mic the kick, go get a sandwich. I dont need monitors, the drummer is right next to me. When I practice with my drummer now in our space, I turn my 5150 up to like 8. With a 412 and 212

He plays loud. So I play loud. I'm not trying to crap on the points made here, but not everyone plays noodley djent riffs or dream theater solos. I'm into burly grooves. And I like playing super loud music for kids to have a good time to. I don't play bars. I don't play covers. Being in a hardcore band or metal band or whatever... I think offers a different perspective than what I see on here more often then not.

So that's why I own and purchase 100w and up guitar heads.

...Why exactly do you need it that loud? That seems like massive overkill IMO

')