Point of METAL amps over 50/60W?

• Thread starter xeonblade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

4Eyes

Reaction score
...Why exactly do you need it that loud? That seems like massive overkill IMO

because he don't know what tinnitus is. I'm 26 and I have it and I can't do anything with it :wallbash: I hate loudness :evil: I don't know what silence is anymore, silence for me sounds like continuous "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii". I don't wish it to anybody

xeonblade

Reaction score
because he don't know what tinnitus is. I'm 26 and I have it and I can't do anything with :wallbash: I hate loudness :evil: I don't know what silence is anymore, silence for me sounds like continuous "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii". I don't wish it to anybody

Long live e-drums and digital gear with low volume gigs!

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
Long live e-drums and digital gear with low volume gigs!

I would totally have a rehearsal space with e-drums, some axe-fx, a digital mixer and a lot of headphones for every band mate, i always use some hearos, but i really hate all the volume that comes from my drummer, and that would be a really nice option.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I think there is something to be said for being in a " loud" band. We ran two ampeg svt810 cabs and 4 marshall full stacks on our last tour. All plugged in, and all cranked. Stage left had a pair of splawn heads, and stage right a 6505+ and a vht deliverance. (backup rig had an ubershall and a 5150ii) and the bass player had a landmark 600 and a gk800rb. We could play a knights of Columbus, or a 4000+ cap venue and not worry about if we were heard. Honestly, foh could fuck off. Turn up the vocals, mic the kick, go get a sandwich. I dont need monitors, the drummer is right next to me. When I practice with my drummer now in our space, I turn my 5150 up to like 8. With a 412 and 212

He plays loud. So I play loud. I'm not trying to crap on the points made here, but not everyone plays noodley djent riffs or dream theater solos. I'm into burly grooves. And I like playing super loud music for kids to have a good time to. I don't play bars. I don't play covers. Being in a hardcore band or metal band or whatever... I think offers a different perspective than what I see on here more often then not.

So that's why I own and purchase 100w and up guitar heads.

Agree with alot of this post. When i go see Hatebreed or even something like Opeth, i want it to be loud. if i can hear the guy behind me singing more than the band, that's not good. Metal should be loud in the loud parts, threatening to blow my head off, and if Kerry King's playing a 20w boutique combo miced up, it might work, but that's pretty much the antithesis of metal.

Having said all that, in all my recent bands its been about getting the best overall sound possible, and with the rooms and gear we play with, that involves balancing things out and normally asking someone to turn down rather than to start competing and cranking it - in small rooms that's not going to work.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
I would totally have a rehearsal space with e-drums, some axe-fx, a digital mixer and a lot of headphones for every band mate, i always use some hearos, but i really hate all the volume that comes from my drummer, and that would be a really nice option.

I use hearos too :D

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
I use hearos too :D

The most important part of my rig.

a6a2e7a8fef7d4bbe1120c3291aab269.image.250x300.jpg

4Eyes

Reaction score
tinnitus is one of the reasons why I don't play in a band (except the fact that I'm really poor guitar player), but if I would play in band, I will definitely fight for silent rigs + headphones.

btw I use hearos, too :)

sorry, for little off topic

Reaction score
Okay, next question. Is 50-100W more headroom worth that extra 500-1000$?

Yes if it provides more punch and girth. For example, if there's a 25-50 watt amp that sounds great, but the 100-150 watt version sounds just as great but massive and punchy..then there's reason for both models. Your personal taste will dictate if you think it's worth it or not. If you don't need the extra balls then you wouldn't want that higher wattage option

Reaction score
I have no idea why people on this board think amplifiers are ALWAYS miked at venues.

Because in decent places..they are. If you are playing a place that doesn't mic amps, chances are you ain't playing Madison Square..so the place is small..in those situations a 100 watt amp through a 4x12 is still enough to mix with a drummer. For bigger shows, that same amp is all you need, however you'll be in a venue where they mic stuff up so you don't have to push it as hard.

For the record I've never played anywhere that didn't mic amps, and I've played small Mexican restaurants turned into venues, and larger theater like places. Not saying they're not out there, but professional places (and show organizers) do mic amps

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Okay, next question. Is 50-100W more headroom worth that extra 500-1000$?

definitely when you are going for a really clean tone. i'm having lots of trouble with my little blackstar when i want LOUD crystal cleans - could really use the extra watts. i get the sometimes-desirable breakup right around my band volume. i wish i would have paid the $200-300 more for those extra watts

xchristopherx

Reaction score
I have been playing music live since 2001. I am gonna be 30. I move my own equipment. My hearing is still great, my back is still strong. As far as 100w + heads, I was talking about headroom, and what sounds "meatier" to me. I've had a few 50w tube heads. And never had volume issues. When it comes to not caring about my band mates hearing, I think that's a pretty rude statement. At the end of the day I have to keep up with the snare drum. And anyone who is going to tell me they ask drummers to play softer is going to really bum me out. We've entertained the idea of edrums though. I'd love to practice at lower volumes.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd love to practice at lower volumes.

Then turn down. Don't turn back up. Tell your bandmates to turn down. All of a sudden the drums are too loud, and he'll compensate.

Voila - quieter practices.

artmachine

Reaction score
I think there is something to be said for being in a " loud" band. We ran two ampeg svt810 cabs and 4 marshall full stacks on our last tour. All plugged in, and all cranked. Stage left had a pair of splawn heads, and stage right a 6505+ and a vht deliverance. (backup rig had an ubershall and a 5150ii) and the bass player had a landmark 600 and a gk800rb. We could play a knights of Columbus, or a 4000+ cap venue and not worry about if we were heard. Honestly, foh could fuck off. Turn up the vocals, mic the kick, go get a sandwich. I dont need monitors, the drummer is right next to me. When I practice with my drummer now in our space, I turn my 5150 up to like 8. With a 412 and 212

He plays loud. So I play loud. I'm not trying to crap on the points made here, but not everyone plays noodley djent riffs or dream theater solos. I'm into burly grooves. And I like playing super loud music for kids to have a good time to. I don't play bars. I don't play covers. Being in a hardcore band or metal band or whatever... I think offers a different perspective than what I see on here more often then not.

So that's why I own and purchase 100w and up guitar heads.
Fuck yeah! I feel the exact same way. I rarelyyy play shows where anything is mic'd besides the vocals and even then, the PA is usually sub par, but that doesn't bother me. Basement and hall shows are a hardcore/punk/(on the more raw end of)extreme metal staple. You're rarely going to get mic'd up there. I think a loud drummer and a loud kit has a lot to do with this too. A lot of more technical metal bands tend to have drummers that play on the softer side(relatively speaking). Drums are obviously loud regardless, but I think there is a difference in playing styles that definitely takes volume into account. My drummer makes use of big, deep drums with large cymbals. He is a very efficient and consistent drummer too. I think his drums sound best when he hits them as hard as he does. The playing intensity also adds to the sound too. If he played like a jazz drummer or even like a more technical drummer than we wouldn't produce the same emotion or sound. Also, I almost always hear way too much of the drums in a live situation compared to how that band sounds on a recording. Even at big, professional venues that employ "professional" sound guys, I feel like guitars can become pretty easily drowned out by the drums and vocals. Drums are very dynamic where distorted guitars really aren't. I would rather match the louder parts of a drum performance than the quieter parts. All of my favorite mixes are guitar heavy. I just think a lot of modern metal has taken a turn for the more pop-oriented mind set where vocals and rhythm end up being more prominent than anything else. I think it takes away from the dynamic and emotion. Either way, when it really comes down to it, it's just a "to each their own thing" really. If a band wants to play loud then let 'em.

BTW were you in The Miles Between? Because that sounds exactly like the set up I saw when I played with them a few years ago and I saw that you're from boston.

xeonblade

Reaction score
Then turn down. Don't turn back up. Tell your bandmates to turn down. All of a sudden the drums are too loud, and he'll compensate.

Voila - quieter practices.

That kinda kills the feel then. It doesn't really have the same energy if he has to play silenter :p

LukeNecraG

Necrabeast
Reaction score
I think it's got a certain amount to do with your situation. If your band needs to play with that kind of volume, great. But if you dont need castrate the neighbours, get something smaller.
The problem is that there are way more 100w than 50w amps. It's because the clueless majority will buy the bigger stuff anyway. Maybe they need a status symbol.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
DV016_Jpg_Large_483489.001.001_front.jpg

"These go to eleven."

')