Point of METAL amps over 50/60W?

• Thread starter xeonblade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xeonblade

Reaction score
It does shrink the signal (by either running a mechanical motor or radiating it as heat), but that process effects the signal significantly.

I've owned Weber Mass (both versions), THD Hotplates (still have an 8ohm and 4ohm), and Marshall Powerbrake, and have messed with Dr.Z Airbreaks and Rivera Rockcrushers, and they ALL effect tone, some more than others, but they do change the fundamental tone, at least on the settings requisite to use at bedroom levels.

That's why a lot of the more popular attenuators have EQ adjustment controls, bright switches, deep switches, etc. It's to help compensate for the "tone suck" the attenuator causes.

If you want to use your "big" amp at bedroom levels and feel like shelling out a couple hundred dollars, just get a distortion pedal and run it through the clean channel on low volume. It'll likely sound much better than the amp significantly attenuated.

Kay, that helped a lot. I didn't realize that attenuators suck that much tone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Even my Dark Terror, a 15 watt lunchbox, through a 1x12 with volume anywhere above 3 and gain at noon can be more than enough to piss off everyone else in the house.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand why people would drop so much money on high powered amps when there are so many cheaper options that are still more than loud enough. Why spend $2,000 on a Rectifier when you can spend half that on a Mini Rectifier and still have more power than you'll ever need?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand why people would drop so much money on high powered amps when there are so many cheaper options that are still more than loud enough. Why spend $2,000 on a Rectifier when you can spend half that on a Mini Rectifier and still have more power than you'll ever need?

Because they sound different? :shrug:

You're not paying for volume, that's just silly, you're paying for the sound. It just so happens that sound is only available with a larger, higher current power amp.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
Ahh, didn't know the power amp had that much of a say in how the amp sounded. Even though they use the same pre amp, does the power amp make that much of a difference that you'd pay $1,000 extra?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ahh, I read they used the exact same preamp as the Single Rectifier with no modifications.

Having owned a Single Rec and played various Duals, I can tell you that even if the preamp was 100% identical, it wouldn't sound like a Dual Rec.

I've messed around with a lot of Mesa stuff and the power amp is so key to how each Recto variant sounds, if you line out a Single, Dual, and Triple (thus bypassing power section) they'll sound relatively similar with similar settings and voicing, but once you engage their individual power sections and play them in the room they really start showing what makes them unique.

The Mini Rec is a much smaller (less component/material cost), less feature filled (easier to build) amp, hence the smaller price tag. From what I can tell they're great amps, but don't sound identical to their bigger siblings. Not that it's a bad thing.

Shask

Reaction score
It sounds like MaxofMetal is doing a good job of saying it. It is about headroom, depth and tone. Volume means nothing. 1W. is still loud, and a 100W. is not that much louder.

I am a big fan of big amps. I use a Triple Recto and a VHT Deliverance D120 at home with the volume on like 1. Why? because tiny amps sound tiny. If you want that huge depth and punch in the low end, you need bigger power. Plain and simple. As the wattage goes down, so does the depth of the tone.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Headroom. My amp just sounds bigger set to 100W, so I leave it there :yesway:.

MatthewK

Reaction score
I'm no amp expert at all, but I think it's about headroom. I've heard that especially for down tuning you want a higher watt amp to push the bass frequencies or something like that. Even on my Tiny Terror the tonal difference between 7 and 15 watts is apparent.

JMP2203

Reaction score
“When I play live I always use a 100-Watt head and a 50-Watt head at the same time,” “50-Watts has a creamy, fluid and warm sound while 100-Watts is very hard and aggressive. So, for me, the ultimate sound is one 100W with a 50W hooked up together. The result is simply massive.”

Yngwie Malmsteen

VESmedic

Reaction score
Simple answer: Preamp based distortion amps + Power amp Distortion usually = Mudfest 2012...Simple as that. It has already been explained here, just thought I'd add my 2 cents :D. Tightness, clarity/focus etc are the biggest reasons. Plus, the Sound and more importantly the feel of the 25 recto vs the 150 watt recto for instance is probably quite dramatic. The feel of a 150 watt head pumping behind you, is extremely hard (read: I'd say almost impossible) to mimic. It's about the power and "oomph" that it pushes out, not necessarily volume :)

Brian D

Reaction score
Higher watt amps sound bigger, thicker, darker, and tighter then lower watt amps -- and not just when you turn them up.

There is a response character and generally feel of a 100 watt amp that is non-existent in 50 watt amplifiers. My friend has a Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet, and it's not 180 watts because it gets 3 dB louder then 150 watts -- it's 180 watts because Reinhold Bogner decided the circuit sounded better that way.

When it comes to volume, a 100 watt amp to a 50 watt amp...sometimes even to a 30 watt amp, is barely any difference at all -- maybe 6 or 7 dB. It's about the character of the amp.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
I'm agreeing with higher wattage making the sound tighter.

I've played an engl savage 120 and it is as tight and aggressive as hell! I didn't need a boost and preferred it without a boost

whereas my savage 60 is a different beast. It has the same tonal characteristics as the 120 but is not as tight. It is still plenty tight and doesn't need a boost, but I prefer it with a boost.

4Eyes

Reaction score
Headroom. My amp just sounds bigger set to 100W, so I leave it there :yesway:.
that's right, BUT there have to be said, that OT for 100W is not the right thing for 50W operation. the resistance of one pair of tubes is lower than resistance of four tubes, it can be compensated by pluging f.e. 8Ohm cab into 4Ohm output of the head, but it still isn't ideal situation. so that's the reason why 100W head sounds thinner when it's switched to 50W operation. AND that doesn't mean that there cannot be 50W amp which sounds as big and full as 100W amp, it's all about its construction and size of the OT. (really simple explanation)

Blind Theory

Reaction score
I can't speak for a lot of what is said but I can say some people might get the big boys because there aren't any smaller versions on the market. I know the ENGL Fireball has a 60w version (discontinued?) but the Powerball 2 doesn't. A lot of the boutique stuff like Fortin or DAR don't either. I don't think Bogner has any either. And if they do they tend to be drastically smaller and not like 100w or 75w type differences.

Vinchester

Reaction score
My 5W Blackstar HT5 stack makes me feel inadequate :( No use having great guitars if the amp doesn't have the power to drive and project the sound.
...Seeing that the world will end this year I'll probably buy an ENGL Blackmore, for use in my bedroom :lol: no seriously I'll hook it up with a cab simulator for recording.

btw I tried a Blackstar Series One 50w and 100w once and the difference in depth and HEADROOM is very noticeable.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
that's right, BUT there have to be said, that OT for 100W is not the right thing for 50W operation. the resistance of one pair of tubes is lower than resistance of four tubes, it can be compensated by pluging f.e. 8Ohm cab into 4Ohm output of the head, but it still isn't ideal situation. so that's the reason why 100W head sounds thinner when it's switched to 50W operation. AND that doesn't mean that there cannot be 50W amp which sounds as big and full as 100W amp, it's all about its construction and size of the OT. (really simple explanation)

I agree.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
MOAR DAKKA, MOAR FIREPOWAH

more_dakka.jpg

xeonblade

Reaction score

Wasn't 100W to 50W changing from pentode to triode? The way you said would mean that 2 power tubes would be turned off.

')