Poll: Clean channel... tube or solid state?

• Thread starter Vince
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Best amp type for clean guitar sounds?

• Solid State

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Tube

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!!

Votes: 19 17.4%

• Total voters

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, for clean channels, some guys think they can't get a sparkling and crisp clean channel sound from a tube amp, being that tubes break up just about any sound. I'm curious, what do you guys think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I voted for solid sate as every tube amp I ever played on the clean channel tended to sound a bit dirty....

Digital Black

Reaction score
Tube. I have a Fender Hot Rod tube combo that has a clean chanel to die for.
But overall I prefer a SS sound and use mostly SS gear all the time..

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i voted solid-state.

rather than use the clean channel on my Mesa Nomad, i use a little 15w Kustom amp for my clean channel. so, rather than having 2 dirty and a clean, i have 3 dirty and a clean.

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
OK, for clean channels, some guys think they can't get a sparkling and crisp clean channel sound from a tube amp, being that tubes break up just about any sound. I'm curious, what do you guys think?

how the hell do they think people got clean sounds before transistors came about?

I mean if you really want a pure clean sound, heres an idea: unplug your guitar.

SS distortion I cant stand, but SS clean I can live with, the break up of tubes just adds more coloration. For me personaly its just not practical to use 2 amps, though the thought of A/Bing to a seperate SS amp for clean(er) sounds has crossed my mind.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
If I want a cleaner sound from my tube amp, I use them magical things called DYNAMICS

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
No Soul said:
For me personaly its just not practical to use 2 amps, though the thought of A/Bing to a seperate SS amp for clean(er) sounds has crossed my mind.
it came to me one day while i was trying to figure something out. i was wanting to turn off my distortion pedal AND switch to my clean channel simultaneously, cheaply, and unintrusively. since i had the little 15w amp just laying around not being used, i bought an ABY for $25.

so effectively, i have another channel :)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Tube. I'm not a big fan of perfectly pristine clean sounds (think most of Satch's), and I think the SLIGHT amount of grit a good tube amp will adds as it begins to warm up actually adds to the "sparkle."

-D

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
Tube. I'm not a big fan of perfectly pristine clean sounds (think most of Satch's), and I think the SLIGHT amount of grit a good tube amp will adds as it begins to warm up actually adds to the "sparkle."

-D
i could never manage to get a good clean sound that was loud enough to match the volume of my dirt channels on my Nomad without alot of breakup (a little is cool). how do you manage that?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
...don't play so loud...? :D

no, seriously... I've never really had problems, but I rarely go for a totally crystaline clean tone- maybe Jimi-or-SRV-does-"Little Wing," I guess.

Hmm. How loud DO you play? Yeah, the Nomad will begin to break up no matter where you set the gain on the clean (ok, any feasable level, to balance the three channels) much above five, but it's a pretty loud amp and I rarely go that high when gigging- three-ish usually does just fine.

Dialing back the mids a bit helps, too, but that's sorta a tonal choice...

-D

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
i live in an apartment. when my neighbors are out, i generally go up to about 3~4 on the output. when they're around, 2~3. the master vol's run about 3~4. not very loud :p

though, i LOVE playing it louder when i can. next time i'm up loud, i'll have to play more with the clean channel.

so, if i rub it just right, will the clean tone genie pop out? :lol:

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
well its a lil off topic but the thread reminded me of it,

but a few months ago when I was actualy in good financial condition I had the most assholish idea for a clean sound.

Im in my early 20s, and my bands music (hardcore metal metalcore whatever..) definitely appeals to kids in their teens above all else. We get kids who get really impressed and always ask us questions about our amps (mesa single rectos). Not that the single recto is the end of all for guitar amps, but its an impressive piece of gear to highschool kids (I sure as fuck lusted after one when I was in HS anyway).

ANYWHOOO, I was thinking about buying a Soldano Avenger, but it left me with the problem of not having a clean channel. So I figured I would just use my mesa for its clean channel and AB to the Soldano for distortion, soley so I could be the asshole who uses a recto only for clean sounds.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
thats what I used to do with my Laney aor100 half

I used my laney for Distortion/chunk and a fender 50W SS (Studio lead) for my clean with an AB box

Was a pain in smaller clubs but sounded hella wicked

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
haha, that's pretty funny. It's a decent clean, though, isn't it?

'Course, you could have just done the Tool thing and rolled off your volume to clean up... ;)

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
Drew said:
haha, that's pretty funny. It's a decent clean, though, isn't it?

'Course, you could have just done the Tool thing and rolled off your volume to clean up... ;)

the single recto has a very good clean, problem is the discrepancy between the headroom of the clean and lead channel becomes a problem at max volume. In other words it breaks up a bit too early for my liking.

Considering the amount of gain I use rolling off the volume simply leaves me with the same problem I mentioned above. Also considering that I like to do very fast changes, I could see myself botching roll offs a lot.

Reaction score
Hmm. Really, this thread should have "for you" at the end of the title. I voted valves,(British!!) as that's what I prefer. Always sounds like there's something missing to me with most SS amps apart from a battered old JC120 I used once. Not tried any Randalls yet, but Dimebag (god rest his soul) got amazing sounds out of em. Must admit, the older I get the more I think tone resides more in the player than in equipment. Think having gear you like makes you feel better about it thus you play better. Other people may not notice any difference in sound at all. Quick example: my ex teacher is playing in the Queen musical We Will Rock You. He's playing a Brian May Custom guitar thru 2 AC30s. Still sounds like Phil to me, could spot him from first note. Tone is a very,very subjective thing. Aint got my site up yet, but phils is at www.philhilborne.com . Peace :D :cool:

Reaction score
I voted tube...I can get a decent sound from my 5150, but then again, I think I have more of an ear for good distortion rather than a good clean sound.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
i voted solid state... haven't yet heard a really great clean on a tube amp... heard great cleans on some solid state amps that had shitty distortion tho! lol... i'm bout to be expirimenting with a 300w fender power amp and my vamp pro rackmount as the pre-amp, so hopefully i can yeild some killer sounds that way

')