Poll: Clean channel... tube or solid state?

• Thread starter Vince
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Best amp type for clean guitar sounds?

• Solid State

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Tube

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!!

Votes: 19 17.4%

• Total voters

Akrin

5/4 > most
Reaction score
I haven't personally played a good tube amp, but I like the crispness and clarity I get with SS cleans. :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
SS... bleh.

I prefer tube. I remember before I used tubes, how I thought nothing could really be better than my SS. Then I got my tube amp... I couldn't really hear the difference at the time, but I loved the "feel". Then after playing that for a lot of clean & distortion for about 5 months, I was asked to come in to friend's band practice to help them write, not wanting to carry over all this crap, I just grabbed my SS amp. Plugged it all, and whoa!!!!! The clean made me cry. It was like ice-picks. I never realized it sounded like that.

I don't know how else to describe it, but I just don't like how "ice-picky" solid states are, or I guess you could say "pristine"... I like my clean tones to be very warm and smooth, and I've only been able to do that with tubes.

And wow... I feel like an idiot for asking this. What exactly do you mean by "breaking up" on clean? What does it sound like? Either I've never experienced, or I'm too dumb to hear it. :(

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Take your solid state amp, but the volume on 10, stand back,a nd bash out a B5 chord. :agreed:

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
To me, the Blue Voodoos have sounded like assmilk from day one. The only good Voodoos I've heard were modded by voodoo amps.

')