Poll: Piezos in your 7

• Thread starter Regor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Do you own a 7-string with piezos?

• Total voters

VforVendetta00

Reaction score
bulb said:
HI DANNY!!!

i have a jp7 with a piezo and its really amazing! i love using the combo piezo and magnetic setting when recording clean parts since it lets it cut, but it still gives a nice warm sound!

HI MISHA!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I plan to get them for my 7421, in the form of Graphtech Ghost system. The price is super reasonable, and from what I've heard, they sound great.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Regor said:
I'm just curious as to how many people on the board have a 7 with piezos. Just kinda wanna get a feel for the demographic on this board. So if you have 'any' with piezos, vote yes. If you have absolutely none, vote no.

And if you voted yes, post what type of guitar it is.

Mine: Ibanez RG2127X

after reading about modding the RG7321 with a piezo I may attempt it on a RG7621 with a piezo.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow, this thread is still going? I'm actually considering selling that very 7321, although I really don't want to. But VHT Pitbull heads aren't cheap, and I'll have to make some kind of sacrifice I guess.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
I know what they do but I have never seen one for an electric guitar...Where do they go? Do they go under the pickups? Under the Bridge? Help a brotha out people?

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
if i can afford it when i do my own 7 string superstrat, it'll have a piezo setup along with the 2 x2n7's :D

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The piezo crystals are built into the bridge saddles, one per saddle. Then these are fed into a preamp, which boosts the signal, adds it's own bit of eq, and optionally adds the normal magnetics to mix with the piezo signal.

Reaction score
I saw a prototype PRESTIGE Ibanez seven string. I am so mad, I didn't return the RG7420 and get that one. I thought about it, then I found out that it was sold. It was a prototype. I figured Ibanez would sell one.
Just another reason why I can't stand IBANEZ anymore. They don't listen to the customer. I hate the way they use these stupids numbers to label a seven string. Why not come up with a better name, so you don't get confused about which guitar model you have.
I was considering getting this mod done. Then I rediscovered the BOSS AC-2. I discovered that using the BOSS AC-2 and running it through my Rocktron speaker simulator on full-range and going direct, it sounds damn good. I have two identical rack rigs: one with amp and speakers and the other using just the speaker sims from my Rocktron Multivalve. The AC-2 sounds good thru the amped rig as well. I like to use it instead of using my IBanez Artwod seven string. I use a Sabine feedback exterminator in the loop of my preamp. It allows me to play my acoustic thru my amp rig with out feedback and it doesn't effect the tone. When I use the direct rig, I don't need the feedback exterminator. I also use some special equalizing when doing this and I have great results. SO, I put the piezos on the back burner.

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
I don't own one... and don't want one!!! I know this is probably heresy in many cultures, but I simply cant stand the sterile spank of piezos - be they mounted in acoustics or electrics. Back when I ordered my MusicMan JP I consciously decided against the piezo option (and was subsequently deemed a fool by quite a few people) never missed it!

Cheers

Eske

MetalMike

IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD
Contributor
Reaction score
^
In one way or another, I agree. I prefer the fuller, more organic sound of the magnetics on clean with some chorus, than the double edge sound on my CST. However using both sounds simultaneously makes up for the thin piezo sound and then some.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yes, the sound of a raw piezo signal can be a little harsh and "quacky", which is why i run the piezo in my JP7 into a Yamaha AG-Stomp for EQ, mic modeling and a touch of reverb and delay. The result is way better than any clean+chorus electric sound in my opinion, and is a remarkably lifelike acoustic sound.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
darren said:
Yes, the sound of a raw piezo signal can be a little harsh and "quacky", which is why i run the piezo in my JP7 into a Yamaha AG-Stomp for EQ, mic modeling and a touch of reverb and delay. The result is way better than any clean+chorus electric sound in my opinion, and is a remarkably lifelike acoustic sound.

If I ever get Piezo's I'm definitely getting that pedal, thanks for the advice :yesway:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's a pretty cool unit. It has balanced out (when using TRS cables), optional phantom power for Yamaha acoustics, expression pedal control and MIDI in, so it can be controlled externally.

I have a patch set up to be really good for strumming, one that's good for single note stuff, and one that's a really gnarly lo-fi resonator/lap steel kind of sound.

My only real complaint is that it's a touch noisy. There's a tiny bit of hiss, but when you're playing, it's hardly noticeable. A noise gate at the mixer/PA would probably shut it up.

')