Poll:Possible Agile 8 string wood top finishes

• Thread starter Galius
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you like the most?

• Bubinga

Votes: 117 34.8%
  • Spalted Maple

Votes: 143 42.6%
  • Zebrawood

Votes: 76 22.6%

• Total voters

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
I contacted Kurt about adding Bubinga, Spalted Maple, and possibly Zebrawood tops to the Septor 8s, and possibly the Interceptor 8s and Intrepids all depending on the hastle of multiple variations. The last Septor 8 run was bolt on standards so this would be "Septor Dual Passive Pro". It would be a ways off since the summer runs are already in motion so this is to get details nailed down. Here are a couple examples and we hope to have some more coming, but it seems like a good option to give the Agile 8s an even more custom handbuilt look (Sherman, Blackdroid, ECT). Vote for what you would be most inclined to purchase so we can let Kurt know how much demand there would be.

A huge thanks to Dave (djohns74) for putting the time into mockups.

EDIT: What does everyone think about the idea of a "premium pro" (pro with special wood top)?? Mabey have neck thru with rosewood/maple fretboards (Kurt said ebony would likely be too hard to bother with)?? Just an idea as I know the goal of the Agiles is to keep em affordable, but Kurt might be able to work a good price out to make it worthwhile. Just thought I would throw that idea out there.

1. Bubinga
septor_827_bubinga.jpg

septor_828_bubingaMB.jpg

intrepid_828_bubingaRB.jpg

intrepid_828_bubingaMB.jpg

2. Spalted Maple
septor_827_spalted.jpg

septor_828_spaltedMB.jpg

intrepid_828_spaltedRB.jpg

intrepid_828_spaltedMB.jpg

3. Zebrawood
septor_827_zebrawood.jpg

septor_828_zebrawoodMB.jpg

intrepid_828_zebrawoodRB.jpg

intrepid_828_zebrawoodMB.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I love the look of bubinga. I think it would look great with an ebony fretboard. My money is currently going toward a custom. But if these become a possibility id definitely put down money on one.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I'm usually a fan of spalted, but the bubinga does look nice. I can't put my finger on exactly what the zebra would be good with, but I know it doesn't suck...just...hard to pinpoint :lol:

Demiurge

Reaction score
I could go either way between Bubinga and spalted maple, but I picked latter even though I know it's more common. Zebrawood is cool, but I think it looks best in a subdued or contrasted role.

Ironberry

Reaction score
Loving Bubinga. Zebrawood is nice, but, as with spalted maple, seems to be inconsistent.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
bulbinga with a glossy finish, not the sort of matte that it appears to be on that bass. i would just have to make sure i dont mistake it for a piece of furniture and sit on it!

i like my spalted maple instrument as you see it below, but honestly im sure i like it on other, more NORMAL shapes.

zfx1.jpg

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I love all of them and would try to buy one if i still have money left over after the Pendulum comes out. :)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Bubinga for me. Spalted is either done really well (BRJ) or it's meh. I've not been particularly impressed with photos of Rondo spalts.

Deadseen

Reaction score
Bubinga is great if it gets dyed and has a little burst on it, but spalted maple looks really good with just a gloss, so I think that would be easier (cheaper).

Meshugger

Reaction score
Voted Zebrawood. Although I LOVE spalted maple, I hate it when it's flamed because the grain and flames intersect. Looks weird and way too busy.

A non-flamed spalted top like this would look awesome on an 8.

Agile TC-1200 Nat Spalted at RondoMusic.com

Since that baby is going to be my next guitar within the next 12 months, i am voting for Spalted Maple.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
normally i'd vote for spalted,but i voted for bubinga BECAUSE:

Agile always opted for providing an awesome quality/money ratio
So..What do you expect from the looks of expensive custom woods like spalted maple,that is also hard to finish?It's supposed to be an economy series,so using a spalted maple top of lesser quality due to financial reasons would also make it look cheap

So i voted for bubinga,cause i believe it can hide its flaws easier

My suggestion would be to have two qualities of wood tops for such woods,and fix the price accordingly.i wouldn't mind give some bucks more for an awesome spalted maple on an agile

I hope what i said makes sense if i'm wrong please correct me

Latest posts

')