Poll:Possible Agile 8 string wood top finishes

• Thread starter Galius
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you like the most?

• Bubinga

Votes: 117 34.8%
  • Spalted Maple

Votes: 143 42.6%
  • Zebrawood

Votes: 76 22.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
It looks like we may have some mockups really soon guys so keep your fingers crossed and your eyes open....

Rommel

Reaction score
Voted for spalted, but wouldn't mind bubinga.

djohns74

Reaction score
Hey all, here's a first pass at mockups for these options. Getting these to look authentic will obviously be a bit trickier since there's likely to be a fair amount of variation in the final pattern of the wood, but it's just to get a rough idea at this point. The zebrawood turned out a fair amount darker than the sample bass, but I couldn't bring myself to adjust it much more because I think it looks badass. The others are close-ish, I think.

I'm willing to do variations on these as well, at least in terms of body style and viable fretboard material, or if you know of better sample images for the body woods (has to be a pretty large image to work well).

septor_827_bubinga.jpg

septor_827_spalted.jpg

septor_827_zebrawood.jpg

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Hey all, here's a first pass at mockups for these options. Getting these to look authentic will obviously be a bit trickier since there's likely to be a fair amount of variation in the final pattern of the wood, but it's just to get a rough idea at this point. The zebrawood turned out a fair amount darker than the sample bass, but I couldn't bring myself to adjust it much more because I think it looks badass. The others are close-ish, I think.

I'm willing to do variations on these as well, at least in terms of body style and viable fretboard material, or if you know of better sample images for the body woods (has to be a pretty large image to work well).

septor_827_bubinga.jpg

septor_827_spalted.jpg

septor_827_zebrawood.jpg

Wow those look great!! The examples are about as close as youre going to get. You should hit up some Intrepids as well!!

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a tough call, I love Spalted maple, but i agree with a couple of statements about it being inconsistent...

Bubinga would be pretty cool I think, but if possible i'd love to see Spalt as well :yesway:

COBHC

Belongs On 1 String
Reaction score
I voted bubinga , but Id also like the zebrawood(that mockup looks awesome).

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
i would buy an agile interceptor 8 30" (or at least 28 5/8) pro with spalted maple without hesitation (well i'd do what i had to to put a deposit down...).

pleeeasse these need matching headstocks. that was one of the problems with the ash models. or IDK, paint it black. but don't leave it natural non-top.

also imo a black agile logo over matching headstock would look absolutely killer on the lighter-wood topped guitars, idk how realstic that would be, but it would be a really nice touch

RG7

Reaction score
That looks like a one piece spalted maple top.
I wonder how much that will cost to get into production?
Im guessing he'd probably do a 2 or 3 piece, and thats were it get's inconsistent.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
That looks like a one piece spalted maple top.
I wonder how much that will cost to get into production?
Im guessing he'd probably do a 2 or 3 piece, and thats were it get's inconsistent.

It would be a laminate top so its not using a whole huge expensive piece of wood.

Phlegethon

Reaction score
seeing as I haven't seen a lot of zebrawood topped guitars when it comes to this sort of thing I'll go with that. although any of the other options are also rather good looking

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
i think we can all agree that the option of cool tops in general are awesome, just the main thing that we need are ebony boards/neckthrough/pro.

btw are those hipshot trems or what? (i wanna research installing graphtech saddles)

malphas

Reaction score
I'm kind of leaning towards Zebrawood, but Bubinga would be a nice option too.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
i think we can all agree that the option of cool tops in general are awesome, just the main thing that we need are ebony boards/neckthrough/pro.

btw are those hipshot trems or what? (i wanna research installing graphtech saddles)

When talking to Kurt he said that doing ebony boards would be preety much out of the question as its hard to get. So more than likely rosewood and maple variations, or possibly pairing up certian combos that go together the best (ie: bubinga & rosewood or spalted & maple) Thats why we are looking for opinions on what people would want. I personally would be all over a bubinga & rosewood combination. One thing thats pretty certain at this point is being neck thru. When I asked him about which bridge he thought would be going on them he said

"Most likely use the Agile 8 bridge. We have a wider saddle throw and the
paint does not come off as easily."

I personally have no problem with the Agile 8 bridge. It does the job just as good as my Hipshot 8 and im sure it will help keep the cost down at the same time.

I know alot of people are used to having the 5 piece neck thru showing on the front of the guitars. At first I kinda thought about the idea of the laminate over just the wings but this would look pretty funny and the neck thru is there more for build quality as the exotic wood look was the point of these tops. The spalted maple would look good with just a complete natural finish all around but we would need ideas as to what would look the best with bubinga and zebrawood (if this finish happens).

')