Poll:Possible Agile 8 string wood top finishes

• Thread starter Galius
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you like the most?

• Bubinga

Votes: 117 34.8%
  • Spalted Maple

Votes: 143 42.6%
  • Zebrawood

Votes: 76 22.6%

• Total voters

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
When talking to Kurt he said that doing ebony boards would be preety much out of the question as its hard to get. So more than likely rosewood and maple variations, or possibly pairing up certian combos that go together the best (ie: bubinga & rosewood or spalted & maple) Thats why we are looking for opinions on what people would want. I personally would be all over a bubinga & rosewood combination. One thing thats pretty certain at this point is being neck thru. When I asked him about which bridge he thought would be going on them he said

"Most likely use the Agile 8 bridge. We have a wider saddle throw and the
paint does not come off as easily."

I personally have no problem with the Agile 8 bridge. It does the job just as good as my Hipshot 8 and im sure it will help keep the cost down at the same time.

I know alot of people are used to having the 5 piece neck thru showing on the front of the guitars. At first I kinda thought about the idea of the laminate over just the wings but this would look pretty funny and the neck thru is there more for build quality as the exotic wood look was the point of these tops. The spalted maple would look good with just a complete natural finish all around but we would need ideas as to what would look the best with bubinga and zebrawood (if this finish happens).

man i wish i cold e-rep you again. hm. i'd be really stoked if someone could send me the measurements of the saddles so i could tell ahead of time what they were... as i'm normally a trem guy and the main reason to get a fixed bridge for me would be that the kahler is not easily piezo'd

hmm. well i think both options would be cool. i guess if i went for a spalted 7, i would either ebonize a rosewood board. i suppose maple would be pretty cool too, along with zebrawood or spalted maple. random question- but is it totally out of the question to try the intrepid body with that original reversed headstock? (just throwing it out there idk if anyone else was wondering about that lolol). but i would be fine with either or.

hehe i won't lie i really just want a sceptor pro (neckthrough) with 2 passives and 28 5/8" scale. i'd be totally happy just to see the natural finish with mahogany as what happened on the intrepids (with maple board). that was dead sexy. imo that would keep the cost down. my main gripe with getting a mahogany model with the flamed maple veneer is that i would prefer the tonality of a mahogany maple neck-through with a nice long scale length. but of course if we're looking at a reasonable total price, then, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with that at all (lol). just imo spalted maple really does look best with jet-black boards.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
man i wish i cold e-rep you again. hm. i'd be really stoked if someone could send me the measurements of the saddles so i could tell ahead of time what they were... as i'm normally a trem guy and the main reason to get a fixed bridge for me would be that the kahler is not easily piezo'd

hmm. well i think both options would be cool. i guess if i went for a spalted 7, i would either ebonize a rosewood board. i suppose maple would be pretty cool too, along with zebrawood or spalted maple. random question- but is it totally out of the question to try the intrepid body with that original reversed headstock? (just throwing it out there idk if anyone else was wondering about that lolol). but i would be fine with either or.

hehe i won't lie i really just want a sceptor pro (neckthrough) with 2 passives and 28 5/8" scale. i'd be totally happy just to see the natural finish with mahogany as what happened on the intrepids (with maple board). that was dead sexy. imo that would keep the cost down. my main gripe with getting a mahogany model with the flamed maple veneer is that i would prefer the tonality of a mahogany maple neck-through with a nice long scale length. but of course if we're looking at a reasonable total price, then, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with that at all (lol). just imo spalted maple really does look best with jet-black boards.

I told Kurt that it was up to him if he wanted to also do Intrepids with the tops but I pitched it mainly as a natural progression to a neck thru Septor. Im not positive about the measurements of the saddles and dont have a very accurate way to measure them so haopefully someone can do that for you.

djohns74

Reaction score
I actually made some Intrepids and for some reason never uploaded them. Here they are anyway. They didn't look all that different to me, so I made one of 'em with a maple fretboard just for kicks.

intrepid_827_zebrawood.jpg

intrepid_827_spalted.jpg

intrepid_827_bubinga.jpg

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
I told Kurt that it was up to him if he wanted to also do Intrepids with the tops but I pitched it mainly as a natural progression to a neck thru Septor. Im not positive about the measurements of the saddles and dont have a very accurate way to measure them so haopefully someone can do that for you.

cool dude hehe i'm all about a neckthrough sceptor myself.i was wondering though if this would be possible, for example...
13785d1266303057-poll-possible-agile-8-string-wood-top-finishes-intrepid_827_zebrawood.jpg

(hehe just throwing it out there). just for one run? :wub: don't you see the lines! loli really don't like the 4+4 headstock personally

not to mention though, i'd personally be more fond of a sceptor neck-through than an interceptor anyway, as that would give us more options

Attachments

• intrepid_827_zebrawood.JPG
    intrepid_827_zebrawood.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 293

AChRush1349

Causal Anomalie
Reaction score
Ever since listening to Ihsahn's After, I've been more and more inclined to get an 8 string. Agile has been the most affordable and usable possibility. These tops would totally push me to get one (possibly even before I get a 7 :scratch: ) However, Ebony is the only acceptable fingerboard IMO (or birdseye) and that MAY be a dealbreaker for me...

goth_fiend

Reaction score
digging the bubinga top very much, my question is what about wenge? a wenge topped intrepid would be uber tits, 30" scale with dual buckers

Deadseen

Reaction score
What about alder body, spalted maple top, mahogany neck with a birdseye maple fretboard?

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
cool dude hehe i'm all about a neckthrough sceptor myself.i was wondering though if this would be possible, for example...
13785d1266303057-poll-possible-agile-8-string-wood-top-finishes-intrepid_827_zebrawood.jpg

(hehe just throwing it out there). just for one run? :wub: don't you see the lines! loli really don't like the 4+4 headstock personally

not to mention though, i'd personally be more fond of a sceptor neck-through than an interceptor anyway, as that would give us more options

This was mentioned before, but it was said that it would be best to keep the headstocks paired up with their respecive bodies.

I actually made some Intrepids and for some reason never uploaded them. Here they are anyway. They didn't look all that different to me, so I made one of 'em with a maple fretboard just for kicks.

intrepid_827_zebrawood.jpg

intrepid_827_spalted.jpg

intrepid_827_bubinga.jpg

Sweet thanks bro. If we get a good response with both models and Kurt sees it just means we get more options :hbang:

digging the bubinga top very much, my question is what about wenge? a wenge topped intrepid would be uber tits, 30" scale with dual buckers

I dont recall seeing any models on Rondos site with that top. I used these as the best looking possibilities using what his factory already had at had. Would look cool, but not sure if its a real possibility at this time.

afflictive

Reaction score
I'd definetely get one of those 8s with either Zebrawood or Bubinga. Both looks good, but I'd prefer the Bubinga Septor. Neck thru, alder/mahogany, both one and dual pickup choices, 27"/28,625"/30" and a fixed bridge - now that's something I would invest in!

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
fwiw apparently my buddy just picked up an intrepid, looks like 28 5/8" scale, i'm gonna try it out and see how i get along with that scale length.

i was thinking about it yesterday and i realized, if one goes for 30", the strings would sound less "muddy" on the low F# or B so that you could play the riffs you'd normally play down near frets 1-4 higher on the FB. hm... always pros and cons to everything

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Im not sure how alot of you feel about the active emgs in the pros, but I see they released this

Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups | 808X

If they really did improve the sound I would not mind to try them again. Mabey i should let kurt know about these to see if he can switch to these in at least the regular production models that have actives.

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
I would buy one of each, but the reverse headstock is bad idea (IMO), makes it neck heavy, keep it 4+4 and im in!

')