Poll:Possible Agile 8 string wood top finishes

• Thread starter Galius
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you like the most?

• Bubinga

Votes: 117 34.8%
  • Spalted Maple

Votes: 143 42.6%
  • Zebrawood

Votes: 76 22.6%

• Total voters

lefty robb

Shred like a mofo
Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly. There are a couple of photos on there now with none of the "black lines" that make spalts so cool. My guess is that they would, by definition, use cheaper woods to make it cost effective, much in the same way that the flamed tops don't look the same quality as a Carvin, etc. Personally, I can't stand spalts that don't have much figuring. The bass below is from Rondo, and I don't like that level of spalting at all...
hxb405natspalted5.jpg

yeah, that's not spalt, that maple with some sharpie drawn lines lol...If the runs are going to be like this, don't even bother.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dethfield

Advanced Prototype
Reaction score
I voted bubinga...

Also, can you ask kurt to make an Intrepid 828 with Kahler 2228 bridge? That would be sweet.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Exactly. There are a couple of photos on there now with none of the "black lines" that make spalts so cool. My guess is that they would, by definition, use cheaper woods to make it cost effective, much in the same way that the flamed tops don't look the same quality as a Carvin, etc. Personally, I can't stand spalts that don't have much figuring. The bass below is from Rondo, and I don't like that level of spalting at all...

^Yeah, that's pretty gross. But maybe these could be in an "exotic woods" category, where the buyer pays a little extra for some nice wood?

Page one. That's pretty much what i thought at first place:fawk: Really spalted maple is a strange wood ..if figures tend to be completely different from tree to tree on regular woods,imagine the quality diversity in this wood,whose figurings depends also on the figure of the decay..The super cool spalts we all GAS for are not for economy series...The mockups would look really good in person but IMO i think rondo can't pull spalt out this good for the usual pricings...Even with barebone specs..And don't forget the difficulty in finishing..more coats=more bucks

On the other had,bubinga and zebrawood,relatively to spalted,can cheat the price out of it in terms of appearance that's what i think..God damn any luthiers here to give opinions?:lol:

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Yeah it took him long enough lol. But he has no clue how good of a move it would be to so the other wood finishes too.

Pat_s1t

UG Invader
Reaction score
That spalted maple is super nice. I emailed him about doing Natural Satin Mahogany Septors, he said he'll probably make them for the Christmas orders. So looks like if these come into production, that'll be two Agile's for me to save up for!

Reaction score
Hey all, here's a first pass at mockups for these options. Getting these to look authentic will obviously be a bit trickier since there's likely to be a fair amount of variation in the final pattern of the wood, but it's just to get a rough idea at this point. The zebrawood turned out a fair amount darker than the sample bass, but I couldn't bring myself to adjust it much more because I think it looks badass. The others are close-ish, I think.

I'm willing to do variations on these as well, at least in terms of body style and viable fretboard material, or if you know of better sample images for the body woods (has to be a pretty large image to work well).

septor_827_bubinga.jpg

septor_827_spalted.jpg

septor_827_zebrawood.jpg
would you mind trying the zebrawood with the stripes going sideways?

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
IMO, the spalted maple on the Intrepid looks really bad. I would like it if it was a quality spalt, but that one isn't enticing at all.

Alwballe

Reaction score
Septor Elite Bubinga 30" w rosewood fretboard.
I Wouldnt hesitate a second.

Latest posts

')