POLL: What to pair with this buttery wood?

• Thread starter MoonJelly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What fretboard wood would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
SO, I have been working towards a total custom build, at this point it's probably still a year off from being actually done, but I have the design and the woods I plan to use ready to go. Behold the butter-wood!

IMG_20160912_151420.jpg

This is the neck/body grain up close. Actually it looks a bit pale in this picture, it's much more a cream color, but oh how straight is the grain! SO here's where I am reaching out to the SSO people, I can't decide which wood to use for my fretboard.

Options are Pistachio (right), PME (left), or something else altogether.

BEHOLD
IMG_20160912_151250.jpg

IMG_20160912_151339.jpg

It should be mentioned that one of the goals of this build is to come in under FOUR lbs. (TWO kg)

For those of you who care, this is the Wyvern build, I was scheming about earlier. Build order will probably be:
1. Cherry/Maple build for my son
2. finishing my Home Depot build (2016)
3. The Syren build
4. THIS

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=308572&highlight=wyvern

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
To accentuate that grain and light color, I would personally go with something even lighter color. A light ( almost white) birds-eye maple might look rather cool. I typically love PME but seems that dark figuring/ distinctive grain will cause the nice subtlety of the body to disappear.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
No offence but that looks like a really featureless piece of wood. Why not use something with a bit more zaz ?
Nice ferrets btw.

MoonJelly

Reaction score
Featureless is what I like about it. It looks almost painted until you get up close, then you have this 'aha' moment when you see the wood grain. Similar things happen to me with Holly.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Same here ^^^. Same feeling I get when looking close at a transparent white over flame or quilt.

I'll bet with the right stain or clear that it would look quite classy. Fret-board might also look nice in a deep/ dark wood, but without distinctive grain. Still think that a very light colored board would look great though.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
whatever floats your boat dude. I guess in a compositional sense it makes sense. Have a less eye catching neck so that the focal point is on the fretboard.

MoonJelly

Reaction score
Same here ^^^. Same feeling I get when looking close at a transparent white over flame or quilt.

I'll bet with the right stain or clear that it would look quite classy. Fret-board might also look nice in a deep/ dark wood, but without distinctive grain. Still think that a very light colored board would look great though.

I do have some very pale birdseye maple, that would make this build look like a ghost! :eek:

pettymusic

Reaction score
I am and will probably always be a sucker for pm ebony. Great looking pieces either way though.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
World' shortest length polling? It's closed. :(

But, I'm a huuuge sucker for the wood du jour - PME. I have it on a guitar that was just finished, and another one is being built. So I love it!

But I'm gonna pick pistachio. :lol: That piece just looks too cool to pass up. Almost like Mexican Cocobolo. Screw the PME this time around!

MoonJelly

Reaction score
World' shortest length polling? It's closed. :(

But, I'm a huuuge sucker for the wood du jour - PME. I have it on a guitar that was just finished, and another one is being built. So I love it!

But I'm gonna pick pistachio. :lol: That piece just looks too cool to pass up. Almost like Mexican Cocobolo. Screw the PME this time around!

I didn't know what a normal timeframe for a poll should be, it was my first time! :lol:

I dunno what I'm gonna do for sure, but PME sure is popular these days, it looks like the ayes have it.

')