Polyphia New song Rick Graham guest solo

• Thread starter AscendingMatt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I'm surprised they let the drummer be in the video considering that he isn't wearing some obnoxious hat. I guess his hair sufficed. Also I can't tell if the bassist is a girl or not.

inb4 neg repping me. I can at least admit I am jealous of these guys.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Used to take lessons with Lepaige- really great guy. Cool musician, skilled guitarist.

They just got their EBMM endorsement- man they deserved it.

Great work ethic on those guys too - really admire them.

GREAT GUEST SOLO ON THIS ONE TOO ><!!!

imnotnollynollynolly

Reaction score
I figured it'd be Graham as the guest. These guys absolutely rip, damn near perfect phrasing, tone and vibrato in my eyes.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Absolutely faultless guitar work. Some incredibly tasteful melodies and flawless technique. Superb, thank you for sharing.

That being said, I really feel the drums take away a lot from this composition. They sound far too programmed and everything is at full velocity. A more well rounded drum production with a bit of dynamics would have complimented this much, much better. Also less 'metal' drum phrasing and more fusion.

Apart from that, it was great. Will keen an eye on them for sure.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
This band rips and have absolutely Beautiful phrasing/timing/skill. These guys will be juggernauts in a few years.

Guthrielicious

Reaction score
I don't think this is their best. I think that they could compose better songs (not saying this is bad at all) I'm just thinking about the whole picture. They are young and talented, but I'm not feeling it with this song. I hope they will reveal something great later on their comming album.

In addition I got a good smile at the beggining with Scott's eyebrow.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Still want them to get haircuts but I liked it

Also that harmonized tremolo picked riff in the beginning, men after my own heart

Also jp6 gas

nicktao

Reaction score
.... those drums are obnoxious and sterile sounding.
There's way too much double bass and metal drum phasing, their drummer needs to calm it down.

I may just be bitter because i'll never be that good. Their phrasing is incredible but for Christ's sake they need a new producer.
It's still fantastic and I love Polyphia.

On another note, theyr'e endorsed by EBMM?! That's awesome and they totally deserve it! EB has had some pretty good endorsements recently.

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
The riffage is a mixed bag for me, and the song suffers from an overall lack of groove or hook, BUT....

I can't believe these dudes are only 19. Their technical ability and melodic phrasing are that of vastly more experienced musicians. The solos are obviously the highlights of the song, and they're absolutely fantastic. Although when Rick Graham steps in, he definitely makes them seem like kids. He's just on a whole other level and definitely my favorite guitar discovery since Paul Wardingham.

Reaction score
Hm.... Watching the drums in the vid, it appears that the drummer is using two of those pedals that hit once while going down, then another time coming up, for a total of two hits in one foot movement. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Sure you still have to have rhythm, but it seems a fair bit like cheating fast technical ability to me.

Also this band sounds a little too "perfect" to me if you know what I mean, and it makes them boring. The phrasing is 'nice-souding' but the song goes nowhere, it's just an endless stream of predictable melodic solos.

Dethyr

Banned
Reaction score
They all look like Justin Bieber but shred. These kids can sure rip but they sure look fruity.

One of the guitarists Dad's is always on the reaper forum, nice guy, he also shreds like crazy.

Dethyr

Banned
Reaction score
Hm.... Watching the drums in the vid, it appears that the drummer is using two of those pedals that hit once while going down, then another time coming up, for a total of two hits in one foot movement. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Sure you still have to have rhythm, but it seems a fair bit like cheating fast technical ability to me.

Also this band sounds a little too "perfect" to me if you know what I mean, and it makes them boring. The phrasing is 'nice-souding' but the song goes nowhere, it's just an endless stream of predictable melodic solos.

Mapex makes a pedal like this, Guido Wyss uses these and he's a friggin MONSTER. I wouldnt consider it cheating, I would just consider it another method of heel/toe.

')