Polyphia New song Rick Graham guest solo

• Thread starter AscendingMatt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
The phrasing is 'nice-souding' but the song goes nowhere, it's just an endless stream of predictable melodic solos.
This is what I don't like about this band and many instrumental bands out today sure you can play but that doesn't make you a good musician, the songs just stay in the same lane and never evolve or progress.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
This is what I don't like about this band and many instrumental bands out today sure you can play but that doesn't make you a good musician, the songs just stay in the same lane and never evolve or progress.

this is the kinda thing that evolves over time, album after album. I hope so in this case tho ,)

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
Another thread about these chicks. Yuck. The drums, guitars, everything is so sterile sounding and lifeless that you know it was post-processed into oblivion. The "riffing" is ridiculously lame and the "solos" go nowhere. I feel absolutely nothing when listening to this but boredom (they look pretty bored as well). I can't wait until all of the emo chicks go back to listening to emo music and get off the wannabe metal bandwagon.

On the other hand, they can certainly play. Even if my mommy and daddy bought me an axefx when I was 12 (although they didn't exist then) I would still never be this good. I would have sold it for skateboards back then anyway.

Alright, I'm gonna go pop in some Skeletonwitch.

DVRP

The HUMANCENTiPAD
Reaction score
Hm.... Watching the drums in the vid, it appears that the drummer is using two of those pedals that hit once while going down, then another time coming up, for a total of two hits in one foot movement.

Looks like Heal-Toe technique.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I enjoyed the song, everyone in the band is really great at their respective instrument. Props to the guitarists for picking up the EBMM endorsement!
I agree that the drums could be toned down in some sections, but I actually think some of it fits in with the riffs. The main time when it bugs me is when it's just straight 32nd's double bass through a solo section (see- 1:36).

I know they were looking for a vocalist at some point and a lot of people were opposed to the idea. Personally, I sorta wish they could find a vocalist just so that they could write some songs where the awesome lead playing could be reserved for a specific solo section of the song, rather than having songs where it goes back and forth between riff sections and lead sections. I actually REALLY like this style of lead playing that the guys from Polyphia have (which reminds me of Wes Hauch's leads), and it's really fun to listen to, but I don't want it to lose its charm because I hear it too much in one album/song.

:2c:

That said, I can't play nearly as well as these guys and totally respect how much practice they probably put in to get the chops they have now. :yesway:

Side note: The EBMM JP GAS. It grows stronger.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
I'm a fan of this band and I jam impassion all the time, but I think this song lacked an over all feeling of a song. It's all over the place.

rapterr15

Reaction score
Their solos are definitely tasty, and Rick Graham killed it, but their riffing just leaves something to be desired. Sometimes less is more, and these guys are yet to figure that out. They're incredibly young though so I'm curious to see how their music evolves.

Rylynn

Reaction score
Rick Graham is one of my favorites, he's a beast, a tough guy in real life, too ;)

gamber

Reaction score
i honestly dislike polyphia, seems like a bunch of wankery to me.

Rypac

Reaction score
I quite like this actually. It seems like they're growing as a band and there is no doubt that they are very talented musicians. I'm not a huge fan of the heavily processed sound though.

Also, Rick's solo is on another level. His playing is incredible.

Reaction score
Looks like Heal-Toe technique.

Upon further review I believe that you are right and that I was wrong. From what I can see, the pedals he's using are axis longboards(?), not the double beater pedals I thought he was using before. I still am not a fan of the band, but the drummer's technique is legit. And I was totally wrong.

Dan

Reaction score
Much better emotion in this track. A lot of their other stuff doesn't really interest me as like others have said before me it's a little sterile. This track though isn't bad at all, great technique and a lot more "feel" to some of their solo's if you get where i'm coming from?

Only gripe i have is it kinda drags on for me a little, it just feels to me like the song should have finished about a minute before it did.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
The guitars and drums sound quantized as hell, I'd love to hear these guys with a more natural sound, their music is the type of music that would benefit from a more natural sound IMO.

They look like they're pretty skilled players but the camera cuts off so often. I prefer the band videos that are basically the window divided into 4 videos that shows every single member.

Like this:

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Another thread about these chicks.
Because being a girl is something bad, right?

And is it just me or is Rick's solo really low in the mix? Amazing song though, but the drums are a bit too intense at times.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Listening to it again, I'll double down on my statement about the production. Rick Graham's tone has a lot more character and it makes the rest of the song sound very narrow in terms of character. Love the playing, but they could be getting a lot more out of their music with less overbearing production (aka less editing of their playing).

Here they sound quite a bit more emotive because they're just playing naturally:

Enselmis

Reaction score
It's been said already. Rick Graham can shred like a psycho but this tune didn't have a single memorable aspect.

loqtrall

Banned
Reaction score
Hm, I'm on the fence about whether or not I enjoy listening to this band, but they definitely have talent. I just think everyone on here commenting like "Just a bunch of guitar wanking" or "They're good but their riffs suck" is sad. .-. What happened to people playing the music they loved and nobody judging them for it?

')