Poppy - I Disagree

• Thread starter couverdure
  • Start date
  • Tags
    poppy
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joan Maal

Reaction score
WTF !!! What's next ?? ... Reggaeton Metal ?? The industry wants to destroy everything

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take away the visual aspects, and this is very medicore. :2c:

If you want something along these lines, but with passion and musicianship put into it, check out Igorrr, Vladimir Bozar, Estradasphere, Mr. Bungle, Secret Chifs 3, Free Salamander Exhibit, etc.

Unexpect, also.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
“I'm not a woman
I'm not a man
I am something that you'll never understand”
- Prince

broj15

Reaction score
Take away the visual aspects, and this is very medicore. :2c:

Gonna have to agree with this assessment.

Finn McKenty (formerly Stuff You Will Hate, currently Punk Rock MBA) actually did a good video a while back about this topic, and I'm pretty sure he brings up Poppy in the vid.

The main point being that, despite most elitist "metal heads" trying to portray that metal is a genre all about substance & technical prowess, for some reason alot of the most critically acclaimed and popular artists in the genre all have some sort of visual gimmick, or put a huge emphasis on image. For example Baby Metal, Poppy, GWAR, Mushroom Head and Slipknot. I'll even include basically every black metal band in the category as well... Except for most modern post/experimental black metal bands like Liturgy, Deafheaven, Autumn For Crippled Children, etc., who - coincidentally - DON'T have a visual gimmick and end up getting trashed by "true" metalheads for being "fake" or "hipster".

To get back on the topic at hand (Poppy) if y'all like her stuff then you really need to try out the album Haunted by Poe. Cool experimental outsider pop album based off of the book House Of Leaves.... Which was actually written by her brother, Mark Z. Danielewski.

Edit: or just dive Right into the deep end and check out Machine Girl or 100 Gecs

Last edited:

iamaom

Reaction score
most elitist "metal heads"... most critically acclaimed and popular artists...For example Baby Metal, Poppy, GWAR, Mushroom Head and Slipknot./QUOTE]
Elitist Metal Geads and Slipknot fans aren't quite the same crowd. Slipknot and Mushroom Head have gotten their fair share of hate, but their early albums in context of the time period were pretty progressive, and GWAR took pre-established music and had fun with it, but Poppy isn't progressive at all. It really seems like corporate cooked up edgy hot-topic shit, like Evanescence or Billie Elish.

broj15

Reaction score

I'd agree with you on the corporate formula thing, except if you look into any of her history or previous work you'd know that this is 100% her idea and not that of a label or PR team. Granted, I'm sure she did craft this new arc for the character that is Poppy, but she's been playing this character/persona for several years now and has developed it from just a random "wierd" viral video/internet mystery into a full blown career for herself. I don't really care for her music, but she has a knack for marketing and getting people interested in her content.

So yeah, her current image is definitely just an image made to move units (or rather rack up streaming revenue) but I'd argue that it's 100% her idea and not something thought up by a boardroom of shady executives and PR people.

My comment was more so targeted at the hypocrisy & inauthenticity of the metal community and less at her.

Latest posts

')