Poppy - I Disagree

• Thread starter couverdure
  • Start date
  • Tags
    poppy
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
So Poppy, who's a cryptic YouTuber and pop singer, released a new album on Sumerian Records titled I Disagree and everyone's raving about it, so I decided to take a listen and got hooked on it instantly. It is, I'd say, bizarre and interesting, like Disney bubblegum pop meets Devin Townsend Project or the American equivalent of Babymetal. If you're not familiar with pop music then it might not be your cup of tea, but if you like weird stuff then I'd recommend it.

Here's the opening track of the album.

This one has a more conventional song structure, like industrial metal/electro-pop.

And her most recent music video.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
her new stuff is cool but like I just can't take in the fact that she (or the label) are trying to turn her into a legitimate music act rather than just a cryptic youtuber who made a few videos

I can't tell how forced/artificial it is

aesthyrian

Reaction score
I honestly enjoyed Poppy much more when she released those erie youtube videos talking about nothing and had like 2 pop songs about money. I guess, I liked Poppy when she was more.. poppy.

Metropolis

Reaction score
I want my music listening experience to be something else than a schizophrenic mash of genres where you just constantly jump from one place to another. That gets me annoyed along with some modern pop elements it has.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I don't hate it, but I'm more a fan of the Destiny Potato approach to poppy sounding metal music.

For lack of a better term, this seems like it's trying too hard. A little bit derivative of other acts.

Not bad but not good either. Mayhaps it'll grow on me but I somehow doubt it.

olejason

Reaction score
IIRC the "Poppy" moniker was started as an art project. There was a girl previously involved with the art director guy who is/was suing him. It really is similar to BabyMetal, or other pop groups, in that it's more of an organized creation than a band in the traditional sense.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
her new stuff is cool but like I just can't take in the fact that she (or the label) are trying to turn her into a legitimate music act rather than just a cryptic youtuber who made a few videos

I can't tell how forced/artificial it is

She actually started off doing covers and was relatively unknown around that time, then did the cryptic thing, now it's a cryptic music thing. Not really out of her realm. She started in music and is still in it.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I really fucking like Concrete. Other songs haven't grabbed me as much, but something about that outro just clicks with me :lol:

MSS

Reaction score
Fill the crown popped up in my you tube feed a couple of months ago. It’s oddly interesting. IMO.

zappatton2

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet, not really in an audio-playing situation, but I did enjoy her Poppy.Computer album. Very interested to hear this, as that album is about as "not metal" as music can get.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I fucking love Poppy. She used to be the typical ‘the label is making me put out pop music with big name producers’ (Diplo and whatnot) kind of an ‘artist as a meme’ YouTube thing, but has grown away from that and started putting out the kind of music she wants. She’s co-writer on the entire new album & the previous bunch of ep’s that came out as she moved towards a heavier style.

She’s going to do really really well with this album.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Heard about this yesterday and think it's great! Plenty of parts remind me of Devin Townsend's Deconstruction, especially with the production and bubble-gum pop sections, which is a ridiculous good time. Guitars sound a little too polished for what I've been into lately but that's a nitpick and comes as no surprise. Standout tracks on the album are BLOODMONEY and Bite Your Teeth.

I for one welcome our new friends who want to break down genre barriers and do things that are more interesting than cookie-cutter pop or metal.

Last edited:
')