Portal (the death metal band, now with actual riffs!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
they're actually playing tonight in Brisbane supported by Stargazer, I had a ticket but I have work at 3am and I've already seen them live since Swarth came out. only really bummer to be missing Stargazer :(

Jesse Zuretti

Composer /// Guitar/Orchestra @Daath
Reaction score
I have a hard time taking these guys seriously live since I've seen them without their masks. Before, they were soulless, H.P. Lovecraft-ian demons. Now, the singer is a beefier Robert Downy Jr.

I still love the music!

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I aprove of necrobumping this thread. I shall listen to portal while I attempt and fail to sleep tonight.

hagen1230

Djenty as ....
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be about Origin. LOL

Oddly enough, both bands need to clean up their steaming pile of messy shit tone. BADLY. You know they're playing some really interesting stuff, but their tone just shits all over it. They may as well wank around randomly, cuz it'll sound the same.

So true. that's the worst thing about deathmetal/blackmetal/hardcore punk. They always have the shittiest of shitty recordings so no matter what they're playing, you can never really get into it :(

Demiurge

Reaction score
So true. that's the worst thing about deathmetal/blackmetal/hardcore punk. They always have the shittiest of shitty recordings so no matter what they're playing, you can never really get into it :(

I think that Portal is a great example of a band whose production is completely appropriate for the material and therefore the "experience" of the music.

You're not going to use the same cinematography for a horror movie as you would for a soap opera or romantic comedy, yet somehow people want their metal records to sound like the Black Eyed Peas produced them. I think what's happening with the advances in recording technology is that it becomes apparent that any jackass with a POD and a pile of shareware (like yours truly) can link up a bunch of riffs and have it sound reasonable professional-sounding, so what is really going to set bands apart is the vibe that the music creates. Conversely, releasing something that sounds like it was recorded in a shoebox doesn't automatically make it creatively-presented, but Portal's sound totally works for them.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score

naughty-memes-kids-these-days.jpg

in-pursuit

Reaction score
to anyone who wants to bother trying to question the quality of the audio/production/tone of the guitars/whatever about Portal, try to think a little deeper about your criticisms before you post them. there are literally hundreds of threads in the recording sub forum, practically all of them dedicated to trying to get very clean tight tones to sit nicely together within a mix. now take a listen to this -

consider what it would take to make all of the individual elements within that composition sit together so coherently. you can hear everything, CLEARLY. the kick and toms are easily seperated from the bass, the guitars are sawing away but you can hear every cymbal being hit and the snare pulsing between them. and all the while The Curators words are abrasively decipherable, and yet only harshly audible. if you think Portals albums are of poor quality either mix or tone wise, then you're really only saying quite a lot about your own ability to appreciate the art of mixing.

but either way I'm sure they're happy with their records, I know I would be. because honestly the most important thing is that their albums manage to capture quite accurately their live sound and atmosphere :hbang:

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Agreed - I think the murkiness of the sound is very much intentional and works exceptionally well for the music. If this were produced with super hifi clarity, it would sound really odd - and not in a good way.

Edit: hadn't heard the above clip when I made that post. That song seems a little better defined than some of the others posted in here. It still has that murkiness about it to a lesser degree though. I think a lot of it comes from what is being played on the guitars and the way they and the bass interact.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
379710_10150368962891121_727951120_8397492_1440764748_n.jpg

According to The Curator who I spoke to briefly a few days after their 11/11/11 Illomination show, the new album is entirely tracked aside from vocals. Chimere Noire who has done artwork for the band in the past will be handling the layout while another yet unnamed artist does the cover artwork.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Is that his new outfit?! If so, then fuckshitfuckfuuuuck I'm creeped out.

')