Portal (the death metal band, now with actual riffs!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

avenger

Reaction score
This one always gets the job done.

WTF I am working late sitting alone in an office int eh middle of the plant with 2 sides made of glass and suddenly about 30 seconds into this all the lights turn off!

creepyfuckingholyshitmoment!

So true. that's the worst thing about deathmetal/blackmetal/hardcore punk. They always have the shittiest of shitty recordings so no matter what they're playing, you can never really get into it :(
:nuts:

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
224169_448983055149738_202718472_n.jpg

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I know the idea is that it's supposed to be this murky horrible presence from beyond hell pulling you out of your human dimension, but still... I wish i could hear just a LITTLE more of what was going on, so wasn't just a loud atonal sound at times. They definitely aren't going for atonality, but rather dissonance, so i'm pretty sure their expression would only benefit from it. Hell, i'm listening to this on studio monitors with excellent tight reproduction in all frequencies, and a really even frequency response in general, and i have a hard time telling what's going on. I feel like they are going about creating that mood and fear in the sound in the wrong way, as all the effort they put into performing it is just lost.

The first post in this thread, the live performance, has excellent clarity in comparison, and it conveys that horror really well. That style of production, except in a controlled studio setting, would really make it... well, not shine, but rather, crush.

edit: this is an album of theirs that has a much nastier sound, although it's also much clearer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpBQgliS7fM&feature=related

I really want to make something with inspiration from these tracks now... Something horrifying, with that "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS IT IS TERRYFYING!" feel to it.

edit-edit: this is fucking awesome in a horrible way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNvkZVoQ_Bw&feature=related

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
The album artwork was done by Kriss Hades, formerly from Sadistik Execution.

Behold his guitar that won't stop growing.
300844_10151026505052705_1732907694_n.jpg

Some other art by him:

15937_178062577704_3868743_n.jpg

149241_470950002704_2610593_n.jpg

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
They, Omenous Fugue and Ignis Fatuus Portals bassist and drummer, started Impetuous Ritual before eventually joining Portal, they're are also in Grave Upheaval.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
I've also heard some of the members of Portal have close ties to Stargazer and Mournful Congregation, although I don't know any of them personally so take that with a grain of salt. Honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if it was true, they're all pretty amazing bands. Also, that is some pretty cool artwork, a little colourful but still pretty bleak looking.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
They, Omenous Fugue and Ignis Fatuus Portals bassist and drummer, started Impetuous Ritual before eventually joining Portal, they're are also in Grave Upheaval.

I did say it was obvious :)

')