Portal (the death metal band, now with actual riffs!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
GAH!

I posted about this band last year and no-one gave a phuk!!!!

Amazing band, so many layers to get into, musically, visually, conceptually, fantastic stuuf, I love them.

kingpinMS3

dumb, but harmless
Reaction score
hate to say it, i don't like it. it's too complicated, as if they're trying TOO hard, you know?

Reaction score
I thought this was going to be about Origin. LOL

Oddly enough, both bands need to clean up their steaming pile of messy shit tone. BADLY. You know they're playing some really interesting stuff, but their tone just shits all over it. They may as well wank around randomly, cuz it'll sound the same.

Origin's tone on Antithesis was pretty listenable and clear I though :shrug:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be about Origin. LOL

Oddly enough, both bands need to clean up their steaming pile of messy shit tone. BADLY. You know they're playing some really interesting stuff, but their tone just shits all over it. They may as well wank around randomly, cuz it'll sound the same.
The Antithesis tone is good.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just bumping this to let you know that Portal have announced their upcoming album Swarth will be released on October 20 and have released a new song called "Larvae" for download (click here). Most of you guys will be glad to know that this song has some actual riffs in it:lol:

EDOT: oh, and I think there's some eight-string stuff on there too.

Arteriorrhexis

Reaction score
Just bumping this to let you know that Portal have announced their upcoming album Swarth will be released on October 20 and have released a new song called "Larvae" for download (click here). Most of you guys will be glad to know that this song has some actual riffs in it:lol:

EDOT: oh, and I think there's some eight-string stuff on there too.

Fuck yes, I'm only like 30 seconds and I can't wait for this. And I'm pretty sure I can hear the 8

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like Portal. :lol:

Better than their other recordings, but I still think they'd benefit from a better mix. There's far 'noisier' bands out there, that have a more coherent sound.

buzzsaw

Reaction score
mix is a bit cleaner than their previous stuff, as are the riffs. I love the new track and can't wait for Swarth. I know both Aphotic and Illogium are using 8 strings on this album.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Yeah I think this is certainly a case where being too grim can work against you. Sometimes it works because all the instruments combine to create something you can still understand aurally, where as with Portal it's a bit annoying because there's all sorts of weird stuff going on and you can't quite pick it apart. If Blut Aus Nord can do it with fretless guitars and atonal, uber-dissonent riffage I'm sure these guys can.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Portal are amazing as far as I'm concerned. So much more interesting than the vast majority of "death" and "metal" bands. The clocks, outfits and visage is interesting but the music itself is the true icing on the cake, bonkers.

')