Portal (the death metal band, now with actual riffs!)

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
That's entirely within the ethos of Portal though, excellent work I'd say.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
^:bowdown: "I'm not worthy!! I'm not worthy!! I'm not worthy!! I'm not worthy!! I'm not worthy!!"
Commence with the luring.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OH SHIT SON! I didn't realise one of the guitarists had an account here: Sevenstring.org - View Profile: Illogium he hasn't posted for 3 years though, wonder if we can lure him back somehow.

He pretty much came to buy and sell some shit and then left. I was thinking of approaching the Portal guys for an interview but a) I have a ton on my plate already and b) I don't know that we have enough cred for them to bother:lol:

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
The guys from Portal have always replied to any message I've sent them. I don't think they are particularly bothered about "cred" or any silliness like "how GRIMM, KVLT und TRVE art thou?", they are probably just busy with life outside of Portal. I don't expect being in a Cthuhlu and horror (illogium) themed death metal band pays the bills much.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^You're talking about a band that broke up when their album was reviewed on Blabbermouth:lol: Granted, they reformed minus the members that cared, but still...

Illogium

Reaction score
^^You're talking about a band that broke up when their album was reviewed on Blabbermouth:lol: Granted, they reformed minus the members that cared, but still...

We split up? I never got the memo.
Been an original member since 1994, others have come and gone.
Also, I've never sold anything on this site, or even tried to...

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's what I was told at the time (a bit before Lurker At The Threshold) and I found it pretty easy to believe but I don't mind being put in my place about that one. My apologies. Maybe you bought something then? I remember a Warlock or something with the back horns sawed off is all.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Think he bought that Ironbird 7 you can see him play on the Glumurphonel vid at the start of the thread.

Welcome (back) sir. In the space of a week I went from being on the fence to true convert, just took a bit of time for it all to click.

Illogium

Reaction score
That's what I was told at the time (a bit before Lurker At The Threshold) and I found it pretty easy to believe but I don't mind being put in my place about that one. My apologies. Maybe you bought something then? I remember a Warlock or something with the back horns sawed off is all.

That's fine, it's not like we make any press releases regarding who's in the band and who is removed.
The Curator, Aphotic and I are the main songwriters (if you can call it that), ultimately we decide who will play drums or bass on any given recording.
I bought a custom 7 string Ironbird off a guy who was trying to sell it on here, but I already had him as a contact elsewhere, I made a post about it on his thread because I was excited. :shred:

Think he bought that Ironbird 7 you can see him play on the Glumurphonel vid at the start of the thread.

Welcome (back) sir. In the space of a week I went from being on the fence to true convert, just took a bit of time for it all to click.

Great, it's unconventional stuff but Death Metal at the core, if people like it or dislike it is fine by us.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Understandable. Right, well once Swarth comes out methinks I shall purchase all three Portal albums in one fell swoop, supporting your artistic vision and all that. I also added the band on facebook and myspaz too.

Feel free to indulge in a little browsing here, I'm sure you'd appreciate some of the more offensive looking guitars that have either been completed or at works in progress, such as TimSE's newest build or the Roter's people have ordered. It is a terrible time-waster though!

Illogium

Reaction score
I prefer our recordings on vinyl to be honest.
Swarth was entirely played on 8 string guitars tuned in F flat, although the low end is not overused.

I lurk around on here from time to time, whenever I want to learn about guitars, amps, pick ups etc. It's the first place I look actually.
Not much of a community poster/dweller though.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Nasty. What 8 string did you use personally? I saw the other guy had an ESP in the Glumurphonel vid, looked like the Carpenter SC608 LTD judging from the inlays.

I tend to post sporadically and mostly just gawp at things I either can't afford or can't play (southpaw) but yeah, this place is a goldmine. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and I look forward to listening to Swarth. :yesway:

Illogium

Reaction score
From us for $20 Ausd POSTAGE PAID
Paypal - portalabode@optusnet.com.au

Now I am trying to sell shit haha

Nasty. What 8 string did you use personally? I saw the other guy had an ESP in the Glumurphonel vid, looked like the Carpenter SC608 LTD judging from the inlays.

I tend to post sporadically and mostly just gawp at things I either can't afford or can't play (southpaw) but yeah, this place is a goldmine. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and I look forward to listening to Swarth. :yesway:

Aphotic uses the Ltd SC608B and I'm using an Ibanez RG2228
I bought a Cherry Black Schecter Hellraiser 8 string for the USA shows.

Arteriorrhexis

Reaction score
Oh shit, we actually have a member here on the boards? Badass.

')