Portal (the death metal band, now with actual riffs!)

Arteriorrhexis

Reaction score
I'm extremely picky, especially about modern Death Metal.

I'm aware, this thread is about how much Portal fucking slays.

Then post about that!
And get their new album if you haven't already, it's so fucking sick.

The review of Swarth on their myspace page says
Cinematic in scope, like a death metal interpretation of The Cabinet Of Dr. Cagliari or the death metal soundtrack to an ancient silent arthouse flick gone terribly awry
I watched The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari a couple weeks ago and some of the music reminded me of Portal.
It's amazing and so fitting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

x178x

Reaction score
Then post about that!
And get their new album if you haven't already, it's so fucking sick.

Once again, I posted a lengthy post about how much I absolutely fucking adore this band on page 7.

Glad you agree, I got it... maybe about a week ago or less? I don't even think it's been out that long. Anyway, I've had it on essentially all day every day and I LOVE it. Album of the year by a long shot. Totally trampled Outre, as good as that album was. Can't even pick a favorite track, it's all so great.

Reaction score
I like Portal..like Xasthur and various other bands it feeds that "creative atmophere" element for me. I love music like that, beyond the madness there's more to it.

x178x

Reaction score
I like Portal..like Xasthur and various other bands it feeds that "creative atmophere" element for me. I love music like that, beyond the madness there's more to it.
And the more you listen the more you figure out, it's really rewarding.

x178x

Reaction score
One thing I'd really like to figure out about this is the lyrics.

Do you mean figure out what they mean, or what they are? If you mean the latter, you're in luck! All of them are on metal-archives.com, Seepia's are some of the best lyrics I've ever read.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like The Faceless (except for a tune or 2) and Portal isn't exactly cutting it for me either. I guess I just don't "get it" :lol: I'm going to try and download a tune to see if it's Youtube fucking it up for me, but I only heard like 5 seconds of anything comprehensible :lol:

Reaction score
I don't like The Faceless (except for a tune or 2) and Portal isn't exactly cutting it for me either. I guess I just don't "get it" :lol: I'm going to try and download a tune to see if it's Youtube fucking it up for me, but I only heard like 5 seconds of anything comprehensible :lol:

Yeah...that's how it is. It's one of those things where it speaks to you or it doesn't. I don't like the Faceless at all because, ironically, it sounds like a bunch of noise...but Portal I can groove on. Go figure. Sometimes the barrage of audio and intent almost literally hammers the idea into your head...and I like that.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Gorguts are off the wall and shit, but I find their music at least has comprehensible riffs :lol:

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score

The song Black Houses is what did it for me, which is on YouTube in reasonable quality. I guess I'm helped by listening to a lot of electronic music and non-metal in that just because something has guitars in doesn't mean they have to be used conventially. Obviously metal usually = riffs, and Portal flirt with that sometimes but "waves of sickness" is pretty apt really.

The title track on Outre is pretty horrific and has neither drums or guitar! If you listen to that then approach the other songs in the same way you get what they're trying to do, which I guess is something like "if a Lovecraft book made noise, what would it sound like?"

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
I just ordered "Swarth" today.

I am very much looking forward to it.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
The song Black Houses is what did it for me, which is on YouTube in reasonable quality. I guess I'm helped by listening to a lot of electronic music and non-metal in that just because something has guitars in doesn't mean they have to be used conventially. Obviously metal usually = riffs, and Portal flirt with that sometimes but "waves of sickness" is pretty apt really.

The title track on Outre is pretty horrific and has neither drums or guitar! If you listen to that then approach the other songs in the same way you get what they're trying to do, which I guess is something like "if a Lovecraft book made noise, what would it sound like?"

I like some ambient black metal shit, but this isn't really tickling that fancy either. Some of that shit to me would be more "Lovecraft-ian" noise than this stuff.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's definitely an "emperor's new clothes" element to this sort of thing, but I personally think it's fantastic and exactly what mainstream death metal should have become before Suffocation killed it in 1995:lol:

')